What's the consensus on the Les Paul Vintage Mahogany?

guitarbilly74

• Members

I love the way they look with the worn brown finish and I like the idea of have an all-mahogany Les Paul with the faded finish (my favorite finish on Gibsons, it feels great) and I can find them at pretty reasonable prices? Are they well-built? Sound good?

I actually had one for a while but at the time I also had a faded Standard so it was just a backup and I barely played it...

• Members

I always thought they looked cool and played nice, but in my experience they sound kind of {censored}. I think full thickness Les Pauls need the maple top for a bit of attack and brightness.

maybe some brighter pickups would help? And I play a Laney, no shortage of treble on it lol

• Members

Not a fan of the tone of those, but they are the only ones of the Faded series that are any good. The Faded SG's are some of the worst guitars I have had in my shop quality-wise.

Funny you mention that because I have a Faded SG special that is one of my favorite guitars. If I could find an SG Standard that sounded like my faded I'd hit it in a heartbeat. I WOULD prefer the binding on the neck as I'm a wide position changer and binding adds to a better feel. But EVERY and I mean EVERY SG I've played besides mine sounds like a dog. I bought it not even plugging it in figuring I'd be garbage canning the factory pickups toot sweet. But as soon as I plugged it in I was in love with the sound of this guitar.

On the other hand it IS a maintainence whore and needs constant truss rod adjustments. The guitar is kind of a "wet noodle" but I LOVE it.

• Members

I always thought they looked cool and played nice, but in my experience they sound kind of {censored}. I think full thickness Les Pauls need the maple top for a bit of attack and brightness.

Nothin' a Dimebucker couldn't fix. :lol:

Personally I would just put some 36th Anniversary PAFs on 'em and call it a day.

• Members

billy plays laney amps.... and cabs?????

GTFO

For the love of God/Satan, please let that go! Lol... I know a number of guys still find that funny somehow, but I can't remember one time where amongst my friends the same joke was used in every conversation.. At some point, someone says, please shut the {censored} up! Lol

But concerning those guitars.. I quite like them.. Its still constructed the same way, i.e, its a mahogany cap.. So its not like its just one giant piece of mahogany.. The inside is still chambered, or Swiss cheesed.. I forget which one.. And while I think the maple top of a normal Les Paul adds a tiny tiny bit of brightness, I really don't think its as crucial as everyone thinks. It was initially there for looks, I'm sure. I would easily say the neck and fretboard have a bigger influence on tone than a maple cap.. way more! And this is still a mahogany neck.with a rosewood fretboard.. And if the new ones have a maple board, then I believe that would bring a brighter attack, vs. the older models that still had the maple top..

• Members

Funny you mention that because I have a Faded SG special that is one of my favorite guitars. If I could find an SG Standard that sounded like my faded I'd hit it in a heartbeat. I WOULD prefer the binding on the neck as I'm a wide position changer and binding adds to a better feel. But EVERY and I mean EVERY SG I've played besides mine sounds like a dog. I bought it not even plugging it in figuring I'd be garbage canning the factory pickups toot sweet. But as soon as I plugged it in I was in love with the sound of this guitar.

On the other hand it IS a maintainence whore and needs constant truss rod adjustments. The guitar is kind of a "wet noodle" but I LOVE it.

Well, it's not every one, but they are the most inconsistent guitars out there. I have had at least 5 in with a bad neck angle. Every one i have had in has had unpolished frets and they felt like sandpaper. One had the hump at the joint. They actually sound better than the LP faded IMO. Just not typically a quality instrument.

• Members

I had one. They are inconsistent, so try before you buy.

Mine was worn brown and I loved the look. It played and sounded great. It was heavy, my only issue was that it was a little unbalanced. The neck would rise, getting a decent strap should be enough to keep it reasonable.

I sold mine so I could afford my Parker.

attachment.php?attachmentid=237432&d=118

• Members

No offense, but why would anyone want a bright sounding LP? It's dark sound to me gives it that distinct tone. If I wanted a brighter sound, I'd use a different guitar.

Standards seem to be pretty dark and beefy even with the maple cap. Without it they just tend to sound muddy in my experience.

• Members

it's the studio version of the studio. It's a solid workhorse if you can get a good one for cheap, I've noticed the QC on them isn't good so they're kind of hit and miss. But if you're looking for a solid guitar for cheap, you can't really go wrong with it.

• Members

For the love of God/Satan, please let that go! Lol... I know a number of guys still find that funny somehow, but I can't remember one time where amongst my friends the same joke was used in every conversation.. At some point, someone says, please shut the {censored} up! Lol

No.

laneycabs.jpg

Archived