HCAF, how do we feel about electric drums?

Sex Panther

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Funny thing is that I'm mulling over this idea RIGHT NOW...

Stay with my loud as {censored} acoustic kit (I can't even play them quietly enough at some venues), or drop just over $8K for a top end Roland kit + 2 additional cymbals...and potentially sell off my previous "gig kit".

Gah...that's a {censored} load of money.

• Members

I can think of SOOOO many benefits to using electronic drums. You could switch out samples easily, setting up and transporting that {censored} would be cake, volume control would be {censored}ing AMAZING!!! As long as you have a great set of samples, I dont see the problem. Id love to jam with guys and not have ear blistering volumes with lead handed metal drummers lol.

• Members

We played a private gig on Saturday, and our drummer asked us if we cared if he tried something out. We said sure, and he showed up with an electric kit he put together. He used his real cymbals and hi-hat, but the kick, snare, and toms were all fake, and fed through the PA. I thought it sounded "ok", but the stage volume was awesome.
:lol::D

How do you guys feel going out and seeing electric drums? He's thinking about taking a practice set of his, and modifying it to fit the electric drums in...so they look real.

Not sure how I feel about it...I'm a purist...

I played a few gigs in a cover band and the drummer used an Elec Drum set. It sucked. It {censored}ing SUCKED! What a mother{censored}ing piece of mother{censored}ing {censored}! :arg:

:lol:

• Members

Go to any death metal shows and 95% of the drummers are using a kick drum trigger. Why not just use an electronic kick/trigger set up? Sure as hell would be easier on set up and eliminate carrying some heavy stuff...

The drum sounds coming out these days are pretty damn good...just wondering what it would translate to live sound wise...

• Members

That's what I expected the response to be, and quite frankly...it's sort of how I feel.
:lol::facepalm:

dude imagine me showing up with like 10 tube heads 15 cabs. think sunn backline

then a drummer hypothetically showing up with E drums. dude, fur realz. I have real maps show up with real drums :lol:

that would get drummer punched in the spine. {censored} that e{censored}

• Members

i think it depends.

they're great for practicing at lower levels, which i think is a very positive thing. they're also good for live situations where there is a {censored} load of PA. smaller gigs where micing the drums isn't necessary is the only place where real drums are more practical, IMO.

great samples are the key, and a brain box with enough power to trigger them well.

in a recording environment, i think most people would get significantly better results with electronic drums than acoustic drums & mics...not to mention being able to remap stuff in the midi track.

• Members

Our drummer used them on Friday night at a gig. His real kit is pretty distinctive looking, so the e-drums didn't look as good, but through the PA, they sounded really good. He said he preferred the stage sound, and the way we had the monitors set up, I couldn't really tell a whole lot of difference. A big double kick sound is important to what we do, and the e-drums delivered that every bit as well as his real ones.

How well it works is going to be directly related to how good your PA is and how good your monitor setup is though.

• Members

I showed up at a gig with my electronic kit, much to the backlash of my band. I got such {censored} for it,
even told I was taking the piss.

It sounded great and another band asked me to try out for them.

One week later, I had a new band
:)

Oh, you british people (or whatever you are)....:lol:

What's the origin of this saying btw?

• Members

While the thought of having a drummer turn down sometimes is great i personally hate them. Ive played gigs where the other band has an electric kit, and a fairly expensive one i was told, that sounded like ass and never once was actually mixed properly. I also had a drummer that used a drum pad, not sure which one but the actual pad looked like mickey mouse's head that he used with an acoustic kit. It was great because stuff like a bell, timbales or whatever was available to us without having to actually drag it about but we had problems with soundmen because of it.

I think that having it as an add on to an acoustic set is great because if the soundman sucks you at least have the acoustic set, but i wouldnt want my drummer using one as his only set.

• Members

I hate em. They're fun to play around on at the guitar store cause you get so many different sounds, but for a gig, no way.

Now, granted, my friend does an annual house party thing where they rent an electronic kit, but that's just because they're playing in his living room and even if the room was big enough, they'd get the cops called in an instant.

• Members

Our drummer just switched over from a masters custom to a roland $1000 kit...mesh snare and kick, pads for the toms and cymbals. It sounds great, of course he's spent a ton of time dialing it in and tweaking the velocities, sensitivity, and sounds. I think if a drummer has skills and a good ear, its a negligible change. Same as with modelers...

We're now all practicing direct into our pa..bass player direct inti the board, me with my Axe Fx 2, and the roland kit. We'll see how it goes live, but so far its been a good change for us. Really, looking forward to how easy recording will be...

Archived