Gig Last Night - Amp Dilemna

JerEvil

• Members

So we played a local place last night. Total dive but a Vegas institution as well, and after listening back to the recording on my Zoom Q3 it just reaffirms that:

1. The Mesa F-50 has a fantastic tone

2. The 1x12 extension just does not have any authority whatsoever

The this venue, it is stage volume only, no mic's except vocals, however I felt this way about the extension cab being mic'd at a show last week as well. Just doesn't seem to be a lot of oomph. Will the Mesa vertical Recto 2x12 provide the necessary thickness or is a 4x12 going to be in order. Will that even matter when the cab is mic'd? Keep in mind there is no other guitar player.

I am wondering if 2 of the 2x12's (one on either side of the stage) is my best option. I LOVE the tone of the amp and really don't see the need to change that for something else. It pretty well nails the punk rock tone I am after.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I've got both a mesa 2x12 and a mesa 4x12. I've got to be honest, unless you're going up and down stairs a lot, the 4x12 is easier to bring to shows. It's at a much more comfortable height than the 2x12, and especially with casters, it's a lot easier to maneuver. I gigged with the 2x12 for years and now I've had my 4x12 for about a year, and I've come to the conclusion that the 4x12 is easier to move around. the foot print is the same on stage, and the weight is close enough that it doesn't matter much.

• Members

I've got both a mesa 2x12 and a mesa 4x12. I've got to be honest, unless you're going up and down stairs a lot, the 4x12 is easier to bring to shows. It's at a much more comfortable height than the 2x12, and especially with casters, it's a lot easier to maneuver. I gigged with the 2x12 for years and now I've had my 4x12 for about a year, and I've come to the conclusion that the 4x12 is easier to move around. the foot print is the same on stage, and the weight is close enough that it doesn't matter much.

Exactly! Unless you have a handcart, rolling a 4X12 is easier than carrying a combo or 2X12 cab etc. Which is why I either take my little 1X10" superchamp, small board and guitar on my back in a gig bag in one trip. Otherwise may as well bring the full rig as anything more than one trip carrying gear doesn't really make sense as I can do the big rig in one trip too...

• Members

Since you are mic'ing up I see no sense in getting a 412 cab since you'll still be only mic'ing one of the speakers. Although, they do look cool and psycologically compensate for other lacking areas. Unless you have a really bad soundman, a properly eq'd 112 or 212 can and will sound thick through the FOH. Just have some of the guitar put through your stage monitor.

I haven't used a 412 in years. I also haven't gotten laid in years.:lol:

• Members

4x12 will give you most oomph.. BUT, if you do get two 2x12's, you can stack them together for the 4x12 effect, or you can just bring one 2x12 for smaller gigs etc. Setting two 2x12's on either end of the stage sounds {censored}ty in my experience.

• Members

Since you are mic'ing up I see no sense in getting a 412 cab since you'll still be only mic'ing one of the speakers. Although, they do look cool and psycologically compensate for other lacking areas. Unless you have a really bad soundman, a properly eq'd 112 or 212 can and will sound thick through the FOH. Just have some of the guitar put through your stage monitor.

I haven't used a 412 in years. I also haven't gotten laid in years.
:lol:

In the OP, he stated that he won't always be mic'd, that's the reason for his wanting a larger cab.

• Members

IMO there's just no substitute for a 4x12. Two 2x12's just don't sounds as big.

They are essentially the same as long as the two 2x12's are stacked in the same way as a 4x12. The advantage goes to the two 2x12's to a slight degree because the enclosures are even more solid.

• Members

I haven't used a 412 in years. I also haven't gotten laid in years.
:lol:

yep. A single 12" in an open-back back will sound pretty much the same to a microphone as one of the 12s being miked in a 4x12 cab.

• Members

Looks like Cherry 2000 stopped showing up in my Facebook feed. I really want to catch a show some time!

I'll go and comment on some pictures/posts on Facebook so that you show up in my feed again!

Ok please do. Our next show is Halloween at the Cheyenne Saloon. You can hear my lacking tonez! LOL!

Archived