Gig Last Night - Amp Dilemna

JerEvil

• Members

have you tried any high powered speakers? like a swamp thang or evm?

I have not. I don't get a lot of opportunity to sample many different speakers. Usually only what the chain stores have in stock.

I have my amp in the car still from the gig. I may have to roll down to GC and run through some cabs. Maybe I am wrong here but I was thinking about running 2 cabs, one on either side of the stage. Maybe the extra dispersion of sound will help.

How do you all think K100's would fare over V30's? I have been digging that speaker comparison video that was posted the other day. The K100's sounded awesome.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Disagree with all the2 2x12s doesn't sound as big as a 4x12 comments.

I've rocked two 2x12s for years. Top is partially open and bottom is closed.

Best off almost worlds in my opinion.

I play opposite a JCM 800 through a 1960 and hang easily. The times I've decided to rock the Mesa 4x12 instead it just doesn't bring the balls my 2x12s do. Significantly thinner sounding with the exact same speakers set up.

i bought a randall 4x12 with the same speakers after i got my OS 2x12 thinking if the 2x12 sounds this big, the 4x12 must sound even bigger and better. not the case. the 2x12 sounds just as big and is punchier. the thing teases you to keep turning up cause it just keeps sounding better and better the more you crank it untill youre at levels way louder than you would ever need.

• Members

i bought a randall 4x12 with the same speakers after i got my OS 2x12 thinking if the 2x12 sounds this big, the 4x12 must sound even bigger and better. not the case. the 2x12 sounds just as big and is punchier. the thing teases you to keep turning up cause it just keeps sounding better and better the more you crank it untill youre at levels way louder than you would ever need.

Is that the RV212?

• Members

i bought a
randall 4x12
with the same speakers after i got my OS 2x12 thinking if the 2x12 sounds this big, the 4x12 must sound even bigger and better. not the case. the 2x12 sounds just as big and is punchier. the thing teases you to keep turning up cause it just keeps sounding better and better the more you crank it untill youre at levels way louder than you would ever need.

If this is a Randall 4x12 XL there is something wrong. These cabs sound amazing and huge. They're my favorite cabs.

• Members

I have not. I don't get a lot of opportunity to sample many different speakers. Usually only what the chain stores have in stock.

I have my amp in the car still from the gig. I may have to roll down to GC and run through some cabs. Maybe I am wrong here but I was thinking about running 2 cabs, one on either side of the stage. Maybe the extra dispersion of sound will help.

How do you all think K100's would fare over V30's? I have been digging that speaker comparison video that was posted the other day. The K100's sounded awesome.

I like open back for cleans and lower gain stuff. for anything harder you really need high powered speakers in an open back cab. imo.

• Members
I good 2x12 should be all you need. What speaker you pushing?

That. I've been using an Avatar closed back 2x12 w/ Greenbacks for years. Never felt like I was missing anything (other than visual appeal... :idk: ). This past Friday, I used this cab with the Plexi reissue 50 watter I just got, and ... well, let's just say that "authority" was not an issue. :cop::D

• Members

He is using mesa c90s in two open backs if I remember correctly. Nice speakers, efficient with a certain "flat response" compared to the V30 for example. But, in high volume situations I enjoy what the V30 offers. I don't find mid spike such an issue especially with mesa amps like the f50/f30, they seemed to have some highs rolled off in that area anyway. I think the c90 sounds great even if a little "empty" vs the V30.

• Members

He is using mesa c90s in two open backs if I remember correctly. Nice speakers, efficient with a certain "flat response" compared to the V30 for example. But, in high volume situations I enjoy what the V30 offers. I don't find mid spike such an issue especially with mesa amps like the f50/f30, they seemed to have some highs rolled off in that area anyway. I think the c90 sounds great even if a little "empty" vs the V30.

Yup. C90 Black Shadows in an open back combo and 3/4 back cab. Just fund this vid. Pretty good comparison.

I think the V30 eek's it out a bit on the clean and high gain parts. The C90 seemed a little less lively.

• Members

That. I've been using an Avatar closed back 2x12 w/ Greenbacks for years. Never felt like I was missing anything (other than visual appeal...
:idk:
). This past Friday, I used this cab with the Plexi reissue 50 watter I just got, and ... well, let's just say that "authority" was not an issue.
:cop::D

Have you ever owned a 4X12 though? Since you finally stopped mucking around with amps that try to do what your 1987 does naturally I *highly* suggest you get a marshall 4X12 cab with greenbacks and get back to me, ok? :D There is *zero* chance you wouldn't LOVE it and you already know that.

• Members

Have you ever owned a 4X12 though? Since you finally stopped mucking around with amps that try to do what your 1987 does naturally I *highly* suggest you get a marshall 4X12 cab with greenbacks and get back to me, ok?
:D
There is *zero* chance you wouldn't LOVE it and you already know that.

Agreed! :rawk:

• Members
Have you ever owned a 4X12 though? Since you finally stopped mucking around with amps that try to do what your 1987 does naturally I *highly* suggest you get a marshall 4X12 cab with greenbacks and get back to me, ok?

Agreed! :rawk:

• Members

+1. Talking to Chris about gear reminds me of trying to convince my son to eat vegetables when he was little. He would only a little bit at a time and only when everything else on the plate was gone and he was still hungry.

I've been trying to tell him he needs a Marshall half-stack forever and he's like "no! Dr. Z" then "no!Koch", "no! Trace Elliot" etc until he finally got the Marshall. My guess is he will go now through every cab and speaker configuration in the planet, over analyze the {censored} out of them and eventually arrive to the conclusion he needs a Marshall 4x12 with GBs. I will be here when it happens though :D

• Members

So we played a local place last night. Total dive but a Vegas institution as well, and after listening back to the recording on my Zoom Q3 it just reaffirms that:

1. The Mesa F-50 has a fantastic tone

2. The 1x12 extension just does not have any authority whatsoever

The this venue, it is stage volume only, no mic's except vocals, however I felt this way about the extension cab being mic'd at a show last week as well. Just doesn't seem to be a lot of oomph. Will the Mesa vertical Recto 2x12 provide the necessary thickness or is a 4x12 going to be in order. Will that even matter when the cab is mic'd? Keep in mind there is no other guitar player.

I am wondering if 2 of the 2x12's (one on either side of the stage) is my best option. I LOVE the tone of the amp and really don't see the need to change that for something else. It pretty well nails the punk rock tone I am after.

V30s lacking oomph?

My only guess is you need a 412.

• Members

+1. Talking to Chris about gear reminds me of trying to convince my son to eat vegetables when he was little. He would only a little bit at a time and only when everything else on the plate was gone and he was still hungry.

I've been trying to tell him he needs a Marshall half-stack forever and he's like
"no! Dr. Z"
then
"no!Koch"
"no! Trace Elliot"
etc until he finally got the Marshall. My guess is he will go now through every cab and speaker configuration in the planet, over analyze the {censored} out of them and eventually arrive to the conclusion he needs a Marshall 4x12 with GBs. I will be here when it happens though

Funny enough, you were egging me on the day I bought that Marshall :lol:

Even feeding me eBay listings until I pulled the trigger :D

• Members

I've been trying to tell him he needs a Marshall half-stack forever and he's like
"no! Dr. Z"
then
"no!Koch"
"no! Trace Elliot"
etc until he finally got the Marshall. My guess is he will go now through every cab and speaker configuration in the planet, over analyze the {censored} out of them and eventually arrive to the conclusion he needs a Marshall 4x12 with GBs. I will be here when it happens though

Exactly :thu:

• Members

Funny enough, you were egging me on the day I bought that Marshall
:lol:

Even feeding me eBay listings until I pulled the trigger

well, yes :D

Everybody needs a Marshall. Except those who don't. Then they need a Laney.

Those who think they don't need a Marshall or a Laney, actually need to learn how to play guitar. Then they will need a Marshall. Or a Laney.

• Members
Exactly
:thu:

:lol:

I think I'm getting a tad bit misrepresentated, over here... Not that what y'all are saying isn't true ( :facepalm: ), but I'm already rockin' Greenies in my 2x12 & have been for years ~ I already loved the speakers, but having now paired 'em up with the Plexi, I can't imagine running that amp through anything else!

As for the 4x12 ... well, bad back & small children aside, when I finally trade in the sports car for a family vehicle (which is imminent...), y'all are right, that's prolly the next GAS I'll acquire. But at least I won't have to agonize over what cab/speakers to get, right? :D

Archived