Box of Rock?

TU BE

• Members

The Box Of Rock is easily my favourite standalone overdrive that I have tried to date.

It keeps muscling its way back onto my board after I have bought and tried new stuff.

Sounds killer if you are looking for what it nails. Stacks nicely too.

What are you looking for overdrive wise?

• Members

The Box Of Rock is easily my favourite standalone overdrive that I have tried to date.

It keeps muscling its way back onto my board after I have bought and tried new stuff.

Sounds killer if you are looking for what it nails. Stacks nicely too.

What are you looking for overdrive wise?

I use my Fender SS 22 with medium distortion for rhythms. I'm looking to add distortion for solos and heavier parts of songs as well as a little jump in volume for leads.

• Members

I use my Fender SS 22 with medium distortion for rhythms. I'm looking to add distortion for solos and heavier parts of songs as well as a little jump in volume for leads.

Well if you're already running the amp overdriven, you'll get no more volume from it by putting a pedal in front for solos. That would need to go in the fx loop.

Out front, seems you need a boost.

Of these, I could recommend:

Ibanez Tubescreamer. They just work.

Lovepedal Kalamazoo. Thicker sounding and more versatile than the TS but maybe slightly less characterful

Fulltone OCD set with the level up and drive down. Works well too.

Lovepedal Amp50. A small format pedal with one knob that adds volume and drive simultaneously to the front end of your amp.

EQD Speaker Cranker. Similar to the Amp50.

As for volume boost, most just use the boss GE7 in the loop.

It's a bit noisy though.

I use an Custom Audio Electronics MC401 and a Suhr Iso Boost (for my more complex board because it has a buffer on it as well.) for all of my volume boosting duties. Both are great.

CAE MC402 will also do the trick. It can be used either in front or in the loop. It will do both jobs well. Just not at the same time obviously. It's basically an overdrive and a boost (401) in the same box.

If you ran the amp clean, and got all the overdrive from the Box Of Rock, that has a real good boost switch you can stomp on for added volume. You set the main volume and the boost one a little higher. That will only work with a clean amp though. With a mildly overdriving one, you'll just increase gain.

The BOR can be used as a boost, but it's not the most transparent of ones.

• Members

I've used the Keeley DS1, BOR and the J&H. My favorite for use with a mildly crunchy amp was probably the DS-1. However, the BOR would be close behind. I didn't find the J&H to be in the same class as the other two and didn't miss it a bit when it was gone.

• Members

I have a Speaker Cranker. I actually like it quite a bit and hesitant to off that one. I run a GE-7 in the loop right now as well. Perhaps I should just stick with what I got. You know how we guitarists get sometimes. :lol:

An oppurtunity came up to buy a used BoR but I'm at a point where I have to off something to get something new.

• Members

I have a Speaker Cranker. I actually like it quite a bit and hesitant to off that one. I run a GE-7 in the loop right now as well. Perhaps I should just stick with what I got. You know how we guitarists get sometimes.
:lol:

An oppurtunity came up to buy a used BoR but I'm at a point where I have to off something to get something new.

Sounds like you've already got it sorted then.

Do you have the Ge7 set for solo level boosts? Or just leave it on all the time?

I'm going to get an Empress ParaEQ w/boost for this job.

• Members

I've used the Keeley DS1, BOR and the J&H. My favorite for use with a mildly crunchy amp was probably the DS-1. However, the BOR would be close behind. I didn't find the J&H to be in the same class as the other two and didn't miss it a bit when it was gone.

The J&H sucks, period. I used one for a while and kept making excuses for how {censored}ty it was.

• Members

I use it for solo volume boost, however, it doesn't seem near as effective through my fender as it does my Orange RV50.
:idk:

Hmmmm.

The loops in the two amps are obviously different then.

I really wish manufacturers would state these kinds of things. How the loops work. Whether they can be used for volume boosts etc. if the GE7 isn't working in the loop, by just leaving all the sliders flat and raising the level slider, then other pedals will work the same. It's the loop, not the pedal that's weird IMO.

• Members

As well as the box of rock you can look at..

Wampler plexi-Drive or Plextortion

Catalinbread Dirty little secret.

These are all "marshall in a box" style pedals like the box of rock.

What sound are you looking for?

I sold my Plexi Drive.

It had these weird honky lower mids that I didn't get on with. Didn't like the sound of it with either my JTM or Bassman.

Archived