Favorite guitar / pickup combination for mid to high gain?

Slaymoar

• Members

Mid to high gain I like the lundgren smooth operator. PAF style, low impedance but great output. Pushes the amp and makes any guitar sound bigger. It is not a common pickup but honestly, it has a ton of girth and sounds very sweet on the treble, it just suits what you ask. It pops up in ebay from time to time. I've never looked for seymour duncans or any other low mid pickups after that. I think I really need to try their whole line! For higher gain, I love actives, you can't go wrong with EMGs.

• Members

I am not saying this just because I have one for sale. I swear I am not. But try the HA in the neck. Trust me on that. Don't buy mine, buy another unit.

But again, try the HA. It's one of the best pickups for mid gain I've ever heard.

This. I was not a fan of the 60, so I got the HA. AWESOME goddamned neck pickup. Billy bought it from me.

But my go to, these days, is a dimarzio dominion in the bridge and humbucker from hell in the neck.

Nice thing about the dominion is that its low output, so it makes it pretty versatile and very clear. Also, HFH is like a single coil, but a little hotter, Id say.

• Members

Active - EMG 81 bridge

passive - Duncan Invader (though it requires some EQ-ing to get it right with my rigs, as an Invader can be muddy.

for medium / high gain stuff, I dont use the neck PU. I only use a neck PU when doing Jimi-ish / Trower-like stuff. When it comes to that, almost any stock Strat single coil is fine.

• Members

I'm starting to think that some of you don't understand 'mid gain'.

Les Paul with PAF style pups

Well it can be taken two ways; To achieve your mid to high gain, you can use a hot output pickup and less preamp gain, or you can use a low-medium output pickup and turn up the gain on the preamp.

The other way would be to treat the pickup itself as mid gain or high gain categories, but there is no gain to pickups unless they are active... Only an output level.

Archived