Modular MTS System - Why have I never heard of this?

FourT6and2

• Members

I was interested in those a bit ago but most of the clips and things I could find of some of the modules that were most interesting to me seemed better on paper than in reality. It would be awesome to have a head or rack with fender cleans, a modded Marshall channel and either a 5150 or ENGL channel, but most of what i've heard is pretty unconvincing. Not so much because they don't sound exactly like those things, but because what they do sound like just isn't that great. Of course it could just be a lot of people who can't dial in a good tone, but it isn't like you can go try these out or something.

• Members

Had an MTS for a couple years and loved it. But once you actually found "the" tone the hunt was over. All those modded ones sell for stupid amounts of money (like $400). I couldn't bring myself to buy into the modded ones myself but lots of folks do. Cheers, Lucius

• Members

I'm a big MTS user and supporter. The weakest aspect of the system is the power amp (RM100, RM50, ) as there are some tones, even with modded preamp circuits that just can't be cloned exactly. The system can't properly do the Mega distorted Diezel tones or Trainwreck tones that they rely on poweramp distortion that the RM system just doesn't do. Besides that, the tones available are superb. And yes, the Camerock is awesome!

If you're into MTS, come check out our little forum-
http://mtsforum.grailtone.com/index.php

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by The Rossness View Post
I'm a big MTS user and supporter. The weakest aspect of the system is the power amp (RM100, RM50, ) as there are some tones, even with modded preamp circuits that just can't be cloned exactly. The system can't properly do the Mega distorted Diezel tones or Trainwreck tones that they rely on poweramp distortion that the RM system just doesn't do. Besides that, the tones available are superb.

http://mtsforum.grailtone.com/index.php

This.

A big part of an amps sound is the power section. No matter the different modules...you're always gonna be running them thru the same "amp".

I'd still like RM22...and a few modules.

Salvation, Jaded Faith, et al seem to be the best...but there's usually a long wait and they aren't cheap.

Also, good luck finding any locally to try before you buy.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by FourT6and2

View Post

Where the {censored} have I been?

You could be retarded. In that case you may have seen them previously and just forgot or not understood WTF you were looking at. Has your doctor done a CAT scan recently? If not, it might be warranted.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by charveldan View Post
I always thought it was cheesy that the Randall head no modules was $1100 bucks, then you had to shell out $200 to $300more just to play it. facepalm.gif
I agree with this completely. Make the head about 6-700 and the modules can be the same.

But yeah, OP....where have you been?

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Kardula

View Post

I agree with this completely. Make the head about 6-700 and the modules can be the same.

Another +1. I've always thought the MTS units were very compelling conceptually, and have come very close to buying in (still search ebay for them every once in a while) but the cost effectiveness always gets to me. I'll see the unit and think "Sweet deal" and then "no modules, sold separately".

• Members

I use to have an RM100 and a bunch of modded modules...They did infact sound pretty good..But..

What irritated me was having all of these different preamps, but limited to one pair of speakers and one power amp section on the RM100..For instance, some modules might sound better with different Tubes, or cab/speaker setups.

So basically It was like having a bunch of ok tones..I ended up selling it all off for a Mark V, and I couldn't be happier.

• Members

I use to have an RM100 and a bunch of modded modules...They did infact sound pretty good..But..

What irritated me was having all of these different preamps, but limited to one pair of speakers and
one power amp
section on the RM100..For instance, some modules might sound better with different Tubes, or cab/speaker setups.

So basically It was like having a bunch of ok tones..I ended up selling it all off for a Mark V, and I couldn't be happier.

RM4 which holds 4 modules and can be paired with any power amp. My JF Mark X module nails Mrak V tones and has more gain!

• Members

I'm a big MTS user and supporter. The weakest aspect of the system is the power amp (RM100, RM50, ) as there are some tones, even with modded preamp circuits that just can't be cloned exactly. The system can't properly do the Mega distorted Diezel tones or Trainwreck tones that they rely on poweramp distortion that the RM system just doesn't do. Besides that, the tones available are superb. And yes, the Camerock is awesome!

I personally have no gripes about the Randall power section, actually I personally like the preamps in the head rather than pairing them with power amps. I spent a bit of time comparing different combos and liked the modules in the head the best.

As far as the Benzin "diezel" module salvation states on his website that part of the Diezel sound comes from the power amp. So you have a very good point about the power sections being limiting.

But for me the big picture is this, the modded modules sound great, not exact copies/replocas but in the ball park. And that is good enough for me. The stock modules were too generic in my opinion. There are a couple of really good ones; The grail, ultra xl, kh-3 and 1086. With an eq in the loop those modules are right up there with the modded modules, not as versatile but a great core sound.

Archived