Now this is how you play an 8 string guitar.

Chrisjd

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Viesczy

View Post

This place is so old with guys hating on 8 strings! There are few things as grandiose as flying over an arpeggio that uses all 7 or 8 strings and several position shifts.

Gives us more of a piano like range to show off our technical and melodic abilities. How is more of anything bad?

Derek

From a Chapman Stick players point of view.....

8 strings ain't near enough.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

View Post

This place is so old with guys hating on 8 strings! There are few things as grandiose as flying over an arpeggio that uses all 7 or 8 strings and several position shifts.

Gives us more of a piano like range to show off our technical and melodic abilities. How is more of anything bad?

Derek

Here's some herpes and some AIDS. More of a {censored}ty thing is just more {censored}.

• Members

View Post

Derek

I don't consider myself old, but you have to admit that when 7 string guitars got popular, you didn't hear the same bland whale farts. Especially when you compare the {censored} we hear out of the 95% of the examples out there.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by linthat22

View Post

I don't consider myself old, but you have to admit that when 7 string guitars got popular, you didn't hear the same bland whale farts. Especially when you compare the {censored} we hear out of the 95% of the examples out there.

I guess my memory differs, with regards to that. I remember lots of 7 string whale farts when they first took off, especially with the nu-metal kiddies. If anything it was arguably {censored}tier with 7's, if you can imagine anything {censored}tier than djent.

• Members

The thing is 7 strings you can still make sound defined, tight and aggressive

Fear factory demanufacture sounds like a chain saw and the low b has just as much definition and attack as an e string

You can't do it with the 8, it's to low... Eventually there has to be a point how low a guitar can go and it's well past it

• Members

Derek

Its just there's a difference between a piano baritone sound used sparingly vs an 8 string going djent djent djent djent wallo wallo wallo djent djent djent djent wallo wallo wallo wallo wallawallwallawalla djent djent dooooooooooooooooooooooowwwww on mainly the heaviest two strings

• Members

Its just there's a difference between a piano baritone sound used sparingly vs an 8 string going djent djent djent djent wallo wallo wallo djent djent djent djent wallo wallo wallo wallo wallawallwallawalla djent djent dooooooooooooooooooooooowwwww on mainly the heaviest two strings

Less gain would help, I think

At that pitch, it's a {censored}ing bass. There, I said it. Now, make it fit!!!

Does a Double Bass play cello parts?

Does a bassoon play clarinet parts?

Context is key.

Perhaps a dual amp setup - Marshall-Mesa-Orange-Whatever/Ampeg SVT?

Actually...that would KILL!!!!!

• Members

Less gain would help, I think

At that pitch, it's a {censored}ing bass. There, I said it. Now, make it
fit!!!

Does a Double Bass play cello parts?

Does a bassoon play clarinet parts?

Context is key.

Perhaps a dual amp setup - Marshall-Mesa-Orange-Whatever/Ampeg SVT?

Actually...that would KILL!!!!!

Ahem, Whitechapel, ahem cough cough :lol:

• Members

I'm prolly one of the oldest guys on the board (41) and I barely touch my 6s any longer. Everything is on ERGs for me, I can play everything that I used to play on 6s on the ERG but with a greater range of available notes.

Typically it is the musician and not the musical intstrument. Are there some pieces on 7 or 8s that sound like excrement? Sure are, but the same can be said for music written for and played only on 6 strings.

AC/DC's entire catalog comes to immediately to my mind! ;):facepalm:

Derek

Archived