Now this is how you play an 8 string guitar.

Chrisjd

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Quote Originally Posted by zehn View Post
He could have removed the upper 4 strings and it wouldn't have affected his playing...
This.

I've always wondered why 80% of the guys playing 8s don't just tune down a regular 6 to F#.

I mean yea, some guys (Misha from Periphery come to mind) actually do use the full range, but for the most part it's just chugging on the low strings.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Zeppelin Rules View Post
This.

I've always wondered why 80% of the guys playing 8s don't just tune down a regular 6 to F#.

I mean yea, some guys (Misha from Periphery come to mind) actually do use the full range, but for the most part it's just chugging on the low strings.
Yep. I think this is a lot more than chugging the lows, but MOST guys who buy 8's, or 7s for that matter, should instead just buy a baritone 6 string and tune it down a bit. Same deal but easier to play and less expensive.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by KCTigerChief View Post
Sounds like anything Bulb or Nolly would have written idn_smilie.gif

Tosin challenges the title of this thread though...

Sounded pretty good, but I didn't see much 8 string action as much as I did 7 though. Maybe that's why there were no farts?

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by linthat22 View Post
Sounded pretty good, but I didn't see much 8 string action as much as I did 7 though. Maybe that's why there were no farts?
He uses the string when necessary, and doesn't just pedal on it? idn_smilie.gif

Check out more of his videos, he's a very interesting and unique player...

By the way, the groove at 1:10 is one of my favorite grooves ever...interesting groups of 5...

• Members

I don't get the 8 string thing either. It'd be wicked if they used the entire range of the instrument (the other guitar player in our band brought his 8 string once and ripped it from top to bottom, it was epic) but seems wasted when you just chug the low string constantly. Tosin Abasi is obviously an exception to my chugging comment, his playing is supremely entertaining to watch.

Archived