"guitar solos are about as revelant as VCRs....

guitarbilly74

• Members

If guitar solos are about as relevant as the VCR, I might as well just stop playing right now. I mean, what's the point? Did Randy Rhodes just play rhythm? Nah. Besides, there are tons of awesome bands that actually have great leads. Like Animals as Leaders. Killer band.

See, it's called balance. You have to balance technique with playing. Few actually pull this off really well. Paul Gilbert is actually a bad example, but a phenomenal musician. I first listened to him and thought he sounded like a really sterile Steve Vai, but Paul is totally different and very good at what he does. As far as solos, I guess it ultimately depends on what the song calls for and the overall vibe. It's easy to clutter up a song with things that take away from the overall feel and 'theme'.

The only people to ask me if I ever played rhythm or lead were kids in high school. Back then, I'd say rhythm, but if you asked me now, I'd say both.

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

If guitar solos are about as relevant as the VCR, I might as well just stop playing right now. I mean, what's the point? Did Randy Rhodes just play rhythm? Nah. Besides, there are tons of awesome bands that actually have great leads. Like Animals as Leaders. Killer band.

See, it's called balance. You have to balance technique with playing. Few actually pull this off really well. Paul Gilbert is actually a bad example, but a phenomenal musician. I first listened to him and thought he sounded like a really sterile Steve Vai, but Paul is totally different and very good at what he does. As far as solos, I guess it ultimately depends on what the song calls for and the overall vibe. It's easy to clutter up a song with things that take away from the overall feel and 'theme'.

The only people to ask me if I ever played rhythm or lead were kids in high school. Back then, I'd say rhythm, but if you asked me now, I'd say both.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by the_SLOP_king

View Post

Gilbert's got some of the best shred technique available, and it doesn't help the argument that he's a robot in that he tears it up in pretty much every song. But IMO part of what makes that sterile sound is the tone and that if he'd play something like this with a strat and switch to the neck pickup for some of the leads it'd be very apparent there's a lot of 'emotion/feel' in the playing -- more than many have who can't shred.

But I cede that because of the excessive notes the songs do become a showcase for the leads, and the music is a fair bit more about getting to those leads. biggrin.gif

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by the_SLOP_king

View Post

Gilbert's got some of the best shred technique available, and it doesn't help the argument that he's a robot in that he tears it up in pretty much every song. But IMO part of what makes that sterile sound is the tone and that if he'd play something like this with a strat and switch to the neck pickup for some of the leads it'd be very apparent there's a lot of 'emotion/feel' in the playing -- more than many have who can't shred.

But I cede that because of the excessive notes the songs do become a showcase for the leads, and the music is a fair bit more about getting to those leads. biggrin.gif

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by buddhapaugh

View Post

Does anyone else get the question, "Do you play rhythm or lead?" when someone discovers you play guitar?

I get that quite a bit, from older people who don't know a thing about music or instruments, obviously.

I also get the question "bass or guitar", for obvious reasons icon_lol.gif, but what frustrates me about that is, when they ask what I play, I say "guitar", then they ask bass or guitar, and I'm like, WTF did I just say asshole?

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by buddhapaugh

View Post

Does anyone else get the question, "Do you play rhythm or lead?" when someone discovers you play guitar?

I get that quite a bit, from older people who don't know a thing about music or instruments, obviously.

I also get the question "bass or guitar", for obvious reasons icon_lol.gif, but what frustrates me about that is, when they ask what I play, I say "guitar", then they ask bass or guitar, and I'm like, WTF did I just say asshole?

• Members

Back in the 90's when I could whip out the solos for My Sharona and Sweet Child Of Mine note for note, all it did was get a nod from the cheap seats and prove that I had way too much time on my hands. Nowadays, just finding the right ballpark makes me happy.

• Members

Puddin'! About time you started posting again, Kardula, wn85, AdrianPOA and I miss your crazy ass! :thu:

• Members

Seriously though, to answer your question...
It's all about the context of the song
. Some songs may call for a solo, others may not.
:idk:

Thats it in a nutshell, /thread...

Guitar solos will always have their place and while Im obviously biased , its a welcomed addition that adds dynamics and breaks things up making a tune more interesting. Wanking for the sake of wanking gets old quick but when youre talking about Rock and Roll and all of its related sub genres ( a HUGE amount of music when you think about it), Its practically defined and built around the guitar. Non Musicians have been worshipping screaming guitars for decades and I cant ever see that stopping...

• Members
Thats it in a nutshell, /thread...

Guitar solos will always have their place and while Im obviously biased , its a welcomed addition that adds dynamics and breaks things up making a tune more interesting. Wanking for the sake of wanking gets old quick but when youre talking about Rock and Roll and all of its related sub genres ( a HUGE amount of music when you think about it), Its practically defined and built around the guitar. Non Musicians have been worshipping screaming guitars for decades and I cant ever see that stopping...

Right there. Whilst the Billboard charts may not fully represent this, my recent stint in the cover band confirmed it big-time: roomfuls of non-musicians LOVED to hear some great guitar solos played well ~ it was part of what they enjoyed about jamming with a live band. :thu:

• Members

so how do you separate what's wanking to what works for the song? Obviously the player thought it would work for the song, that's why he put it there :lol:

what's the criteria? Does it have to follow the vocal line? Is there a maximum amount of notes? What is it?

I am seeing a lot of replies talking about wanking and stuff but what is that? Most solos are pentatonic/ modes noodling, even famous solos like Hotel California, Smoke on the Water, Comfortably Numb.. they're just jamming on a scale, not following a vocal line or anything. So what separates wanking from good soloing? Or "wanking" is just something you say when you don't like or can't play that solo i.e. hating on it?

• Members

so how do you separate what's wanking to what works for the song? Obviously the player thought it would work for the song, that's why he put it there
:lol:
what's the criteria? Does it have to follow the vocal line? Is there a maximum amount of notes? What is it?

I am seeing a lot of replies talking about wanking and stuff but what is that? Most solos are pentatonic/ modes noodling, even famous solos like Hotel California, Smoke on the Water, Comfortably Numb.. they're just jamming on a scale, not following a vocal line or anything. So what separates wanking from good soloing? Or "wanking" is just something you say when you don't like or can't play that solo i.e. hating on it?

The listener's taste.

Archived