"guitar solos are about as revelant as VCRs....

guitarbilly74

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Quote Originally Posted by codecontra

View Post

Imagine Comfortably Numb or Stairway to Heaven without the solos. {censored}, there are a ton of songs that come immediately to mind that would not be half as memorable without the solos.

I think they people got burned out due to the 80's wankery and the guitar solo never fully recovered. Love to see it make a comeback though as long as it was tastefully done.

Yep; many rock songs would be at least a bit lacking if not much more if their signature solos were never recorded. For something more recent, I think some Devin Townsend solos fit the bill nicely without trying to walk over the songs or reduce the songs to mere vehicles for showcasing the solos.

• Members

View Post

Imagine Comfortably Numb or Stairway to Heaven without the solos. {censored}, there are a ton of songs that come immediately to mind that would not be half as memorable without the solos.

I think they people got burned out due to the 80's wankery and the guitar solo never fully recovered. Love to see it make a comeback though as long as it was tastefully done.

Yep; many rock songs would be at least a bit lacking if not much more if their signature solos were never recorded. For something more recent, I think some Devin Townsend solos fit the bill nicely without trying to walk over the songs or reduce the songs to mere vehicles for showcasing the solos.

• Members

Guitar solos are overrated. The good ones are usually pretty awesome but too many bands try to force it. Not every song requires a guitar solo and no one cares about how cool you want to look or how fast you can move your fingers.

On the other hand, deliberately avoiding guitar solos (or any sort of musical interlude) is lame. Then you just end up sounding like Korn. Don't sound like Korn.

• Members

Guitar solos are overrated. The good ones are usually pretty awesome but too many bands try to force it. Not every song requires a guitar solo and no one cares about how cool you want to look or how fast you can move your fingers.

On the other hand, deliberately avoiding guitar solos (or any sort of musical interlude) is lame. Then you just end up sounding like Korn. Don't sound like Korn.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by rushtallica

View Post

Over the years there have been people ask me that a few times, and I just say both. biggrin.gif

That is a good answer. I am self taught, so when I was first learning, it never really occurred to me that some people chose one or the other. I just assumed that playing the guitar meant you needed to know chords and scales.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by rushtallica

View Post

Over the years there have been people ask me that a few times, and I just say both. biggrin.gif

That is a good answer. I am self taught, so when I was first learning, it never really occurred to me that some people chose one or the other. I just assumed that playing the guitar meant you needed to know chords and scales.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by LuckisforLosers

View Post

awesome, you are now in my signature.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by LuckisforLosers

View Post

awesome, you are now in my signature.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Miter Gauge

View Post

Same here. I like too much about rhythm and solo playing to try and only do one or the other.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Miter Gauge

View Post

Same here. I like too much about rhythm and solo playing to try and only do one or the other.

• Members

I think it largely depends on, as it always has, if you can make the solo count and say something musical with it or not. I think the alleged lack of "relevance" is because not many younger players in modern mainstream bands CAN solo worth a {censored}, and don't really have to anymore given the formulaic nature of most of the inane drivel we've become programmed to accept and even CRAVE.

I personally have never encountered even one person who buys that who actually COULD craft a well-written, meaningful solo the way a cat like David Gilmour, Jeff Beck or Ty Tabor can. Have you?

Here's an example of a more modern, critically-acclaimed band with a guy who can DEFINITELY put together a solo that fits and supports the song...

Those solos sound pretty {censored}ing "relevant" to me, anyway. YMMV.

• Members

I think it largely depends on, as it always has, if you can make the solo count and say something musical with it or not. I think the alleged lack of "relevance" is because not many younger players in modern mainstream bands CAN solo worth a {censored}, and don't really have to anymore given the formulaic nature of most of the inane drivel we've become programmed to accept and even CRAVE.

I personally have never encountered even one person who buys that who actually COULD craft a well-written, meaningful solo the way a cat like David Gilmour, Jeff Beck or Ty Tabor can. Have you?

Here's an example of a more modern, critically-acclaimed band with a guy who can DEFINITELY put together a solo that fits and supports the song...

Those solos sound pretty {censored}ing "relevant" to me, anyway. YMMV.

• Members

View Post

And equally as important is the mini solos that fill in between lines of the vocals and {censored}. Hell if it werent for those fills some songs wouldn't have the magic, but others are ruined because its too much. I guess it depends on the song, AND the guitarist playing the fills.

• Members

View Post

And equally as important is the mini solos that fill in between lines of the vocals and {censored}. Hell if it werent for those fills some songs wouldn't have the magic, but others are ruined because its too much. I guess it depends on the song, AND the guitarist playing the fills.

• Members

I kinda agree.. There is, of course, room for solos in modern Rick and metal, but there is also a billion ton cluster{censored} of pointless, go nowhere solos that completely stop a song in it's tracks.. when that happens, yes I can't stand them.. And I'm talking more within modern guitar focused music.. Dudes in the past used to use the solo as just a platform to scream and just let it out. It was never perfect and was always about the feel.. I'm not a huge Page fan, but when I see people on this forum make fun of him cause of his {censored}ty technique, they are clueless about music. I even saw a post recently talking about how Jimi wasn't really that good, his technique was poor.. WHAT!??? Music is sound, And sound has nothing to do with how accurate that bend was when put against a strobe tuner. Music is about making sound that sound pleasant together and paint a picture and have a feeling you can grab onto.. btw Jimi had in abundance of "technique" because he could elicit notes and sounds from unconventional ways and his solos were wild and painted abstract visions. Proper technique as we"know" it is necessary if the succession of sounds in your mind necessitates a high level of "proper" playing and impressive technique.. And since most highly technical music rarely impresses in the most important aspects, it's safe to say technique definitely isn't everything.. So now that that's over.....lolololol

I prolly lay a solo down in about 50% of my songs I write. I'm a pretty good player who can definitely blow so many notes down your throat, that I would fit right in with Rusty Cooley! Lol.. But I gave that style up a long time ago.. And when I do play a solo, it's never because I made room in a song for a solo.. For me it just happens..and in a few cases it was a total accident..

One song while recording rhythms, I {censored}ed up early in the song. But I felt like I wasn't warmed up enough so I continued to roll the recording and I was just going off over the drums.. Just a lot of fast legato playing, big stretches, string skipping, etc. basically trying to warm up. There was definitely one part I thought sounded good and the playing was off the charts and sounded wild on it's own, but I hadn't recorded the rhythms yet and just put it aside until I had the song recorded. When I tried fitting it in I wasn't too happy with the overall vibe but there was another part of this" "go off" session.that wasn't as flashy as my original thought, but it added to the song and had a cool rhythmic feel in the picking over the main rhythm.. So that's the one I used.. Point being, a solo should rarely ever be there becausE it's 2:45 into the song and it's about time to fit one in. Or to just show off how good you're technique is.. That is sooooo tired.. I mean as tired as Ricky Bobby's trolling.! Just the same thing over and over again.. But people apparently like that. Best example for top notch technique and zero amount of interesting phrasing and vibe.. Chris Broderick.. I have never heard one thing that I could even find interesting. Even when he was jamming on That Metal Show, it was so void of anything that I find musical, interesting, cool, etc. .. And it's like he knew it as well, and he couldn't tap into any legit feeling and just went into rigid technical soulless drivel... And the metal scene, especially, is saturated with that type of playing

• Members

I kinda agree.. There is, of course, room for solos in modern Rick and metal, but there is also a billion ton cluster{censored} of pointless, go nowhere solos that completely stop a song in it's tracks.. when that happens, yes I can't stand them.. And I'm talking more within modern guitar focused music.. Dudes in the past used to use the solo as just a platform to scream and just let it out. It was never perfect and was always about the feel.. I'm not a huge Page fan, but when I see people on this forum make fun of him cause of his {censored}ty technique, they are clueless about music. I even saw a post recently talking about how Jimi wasn't really that good, his technique was poor.. WHAT!??? Music is sound, And sound has nothing to do with how accurate that bend was when put against a strobe tuner. Music is about making sound that sound pleasant together and paint a picture and have a feeling you can grab onto.. btw Jimi had in abundance of "technique" because he could elicit notes and sounds from unconventional ways and his solos were wild and painted abstract visions. Proper technique as we"know" it is necessary if the succession of sounds in your mind necessitates a high level of "proper" playing and impressive technique.. And since most highly technical music rarely impresses in the most important aspects, it's safe to say technique definitely isn't everything.. So now that that's over.....lolololol

I prolly lay a solo down in about 50% of my songs I write. I'm a pretty good player who can definitely blow so many notes down your throat, that I would fit right in with Rusty Cooley! Lol.. But I gave that style up a long time ago.. And when I do play a solo, it's never because I made room in a song for a solo.. For me it just happens..and in a few cases it was a total accident..

One song while recording rhythms, I {censored}ed up early in the song. But I felt like I wasn't warmed up enough so I continued to roll the recording and I was just going off over the drums.. Just a lot of fast legato playing, big stretches, string skipping, etc. basically trying to warm up. There was definitely one part I thought sounded good and the playing was off the charts and sounded wild on it's own, but I hadn't recorded the rhythms yet and just put it aside until I had the song recorded. When I tried fitting it in I wasn't too happy with the overall vibe but there was another part of this" "go off" session.that wasn't as flashy as my original thought, but it added to the song and had a cool rhythmic feel in the picking over the main rhythm.. So that's the one I used.. Point being, a solo should rarely ever be there becausE it's 2:45 into the song and it's about time to fit one in. Or to just show off how good you're technique is.. That is sooooo tired.. I mean as tired as Ricky Bobby's trolling.! Just the same thing over and over again.. But people apparently like that. Best example for top notch technique and zero amount of interesting phrasing and vibe.. Chris Broderick.. I have never heard one thing that I could even find interesting. Even when he was jamming on That Metal Show, it was so void of anything that I find musical, interesting, cool, etc. .. And it's like he knew it as well, and he couldn't tap into any legit feeling and just went into rigid technical soulless drivel... And the metal scene, especially, is saturated with that type of playing

Archived