"guitar solos are about as revelant as VCRs....

guitarbilly74

• Members

That's more what I was getting at. Of course most guitarists like guitar solos. but is it still an essential part of what is "rock music" on a larger scale? Like in the 60's - 80's you wouldn't have a hit rock song without a guitar solo and good soloists were held in high regard not only by guitar players but by rock audiences in general....

I think audiences feel like they've heard it already.

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I'm in the "ok when adding to the music" group. I tend to think about this topic a lot when I'm listening to jazz or writing. On one hand it is entertaining to see someone slashing live. On the other hand the soloing can be egotistic, detrimental to song development/flow, or flat out bad. I think a lot of jazz becomes draining to me because rather than hearing new directions in a song, the arrangements tend to follow artists taking turns showing off over a set of changes. IMO the best solos in any genre are the solos that have a message and flow seamlessly in a song because they are a part of the song. I think focusing on maintaining a lot of reference to the song's melodic line rather than attempting Steve Vai can help keep things relevant.

tl;dr

• Members

The best musicians follow their hearts and not trends. Pop music (trends) is generally shallow and by its nature always sounds dated in retrospect. Its like a line of dogs sniffing each others a-holes. Not playing a solo cuz its the fashion is as stoopid as having to play "freebird" repeatedly. Play sincerely and others will get it.:thu: BTW Billy its"relevant" heeheh

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by guitarbilly74

View Post

I didn't think I had to define what guitar solo is to a forum full of guitar players.... a solo is a solo, you all should know what it is... its the part of the song where the guitar takes over the voice as the lead melody. Whether there are 10 or 10,000 notes on that part is irrelevant, it's still a solo.

So is there a limit to what you should play? How many notes separate soloing from wanking?

That's highly subjective IMHO.

For example, is the first half of the Hotel California solo wanking? It's all pentatonic playing until the harmonized guitar parts...

What about.. say "Cowboys From hell"? Highly technical, yet very memorable.

Actually, for the most part people will call wanking something they don't like - or can't play (not you necessarily just in general).

i know what a solo IS-- but a neil young guitar solo isn't an yngwie malmsteen epic. i mean, {censored}.. one note 'shake it' solos and noodlies are qualitatively different. what matters is that they fit the song. if you threw some bombastic wankery into a placid tune-- 'course it's gonna sound stupid. far as i'm concerned 'well played' ONLY fits context.

but- what about when you start a song with some simple guitar riff. it's basically a guitar playing without the band. is it a solo, or is it an intro? technically-- it's a solo. but it doesn't have the nerve to call it that. sounds to me, you're practically making the case for every solo to be a cadenza, which i wouldn't stand up for.. {censored} that.

there's nothing WRONG with solos-- but there is something most decidedly r-tar-dee about a friggin cadenza everyplace.. that's pure ego stroking.

• Members

They became much less fasionable in the early 90's when grunge emerged.

And became pretty much non-existent from the mid-90s to the early 2000's.

They have been very much back in fashion since then.

Bands that never played solos started to and a whole new "shred revival" has

Taken place since.

Even the whole "guitar hero" games helped to make them cool again.

You might want to let your friend know about these things called DVD's to. icon_lol.gif

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Sixtonoize

View Post

I'd say that if you're more interested in being fashionable than making music, then the quote is dead on.

OTOH, I can respect a mother{censored}er who can play his ass off, but chooses not to.

But in my experience, that's a rare find.

Quote Originally Posted by LoopQuantum

View Post

I don't think a song needs a solo, but I think some solos are the best part of the song.

These things.

I'm not a fan of lots of solos, like, most of the 80s stuff does nothing for me. But really good solos that fit a song, those sound awesome.

• Members

View Post

That's more what I was getting at. Of course most guitarists like guitar solos. but is it still an essential part of what is "rock music" on a larger scale? Like in the 60's - 80's you wouldn't have a hit rock song without a guitar solo and good soloists were held in high regard not only by guitar players but by rock audiences in general....

Damn straight. And I miss that. cry.gif

• Members

Imagine Comfortably Numb or Stairway to Heaven without the solos. {censored}, there are a ton of songs that come immediately to mind that would not be half as memorable without the solos.

I think they people got burned out due to the 80's wankery and the guitar solo never fully recovered. Love to see it make a comeback though as long as it was tastefully done.

• Members

It seems like "rock music" featuring guitar is on the outs right now as far as popular music goes (where everything from Taylor Swift to Hip-Hop and EDM are the rage).

Can you imagine that time when AC/DC's Black album and Metallica's Black album both were huge pop hits and topped the charts? Seems like a lifetime ago in some ways.

In the meantime, we keep practicing. smile.gif

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Mesa/Kramer View Post
They became much less fasionable in the early 90's when grunge emerged.
And became pretty much non-existent from the mid-90s to the early 2000's.

They have been very much back in fashion since then.
Bands that never played solos started to and a whole new "shred revival" has
Taken place since.
Even the whole "guitar hero" games helped to make them cool again.

You might want to let your friend know about these things called DVD's to. icon_lol.gif

most of my favorite solos come from the early 90s idn_smilie.gif

• Members

If the solo serves the song, go for it. If you're soloing just for the sake of getting in some wank, but it doesn't add anything much to the song, then yeah, it's pointless. I think that's the only "out of fasion" part of it; people made a bit of a deal about getting away from the "obligatory" wank solo like every 80s rock song had regardless of whether or not it was appropriate. But automatically going to the other extreme of just never having solos isn't necessarily the way either. Sometimes a song needs a little something in there to build it up or bring it down or whatever, and sometimes that is best achieved with a tasty guitar solo.

It shouldn't have anything to do with being in fashion. It should be about what the song needs. It'd be like going, "Chords are so overdone. They're in every {censored}ing song. I'm only gonna play single note stuff now." WTF mate? Do whatever the {censored} you want, but sometimes {censored} just needs chords. idn_smilie.gif

• Members

I used to feel this way when I wanted to play leads but couldnt. Now I feel this way when I cant get in the groove of a song for a solo. I can see where he is coming from though. Pear Jam Vitalogy didnt have many leads in it, and I liked it for that. But as said before, some songs dont need them, and some songs do.

• Members

View Post

...actually they went out of fashion around the same time"

A friend of mine just told me that. Agree or disagree?

I'm in between "disagree" and "agree but don't care"

To me it depends on the song. I guess I'm getting old but these days I'm more interested in the song as a whole than I am using a song as vehicle to show off guitar playing. If the song needs a solo put a solo in there, if it doesn't then don't.

Not a very good answer was it?

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by soundgardener75

View Post

Some of the grunge wannabes and nu metal bands were doing that.

Solos have their place, and just like everything else, overuse brings disastrous results, hence the "wankfest" terminology.

Depends on the band I suppose.

Hell, even Kurt Cobain played guitar solos. Although his were more anti-solo guitar solos but a lot of Nirvana songs just wouldn't be quite the same without them.

Archived