Better than Hendrix?

tilimo

• Members

I think Telephant is referring to Miles Davis wanting to work with Hendrix, which would suggest that Miles thought pretty highly of Hendrix. Not comparing Miles to Hendrix. That's just silly. Miles Davis sucked at guitar.

:idea:

Either way comparing Django or Chet Atkins to Hendrix makes no sense to me. Neither of those guys would do what Hendrix did and vice versa.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I think Telephant is referring to Miles Davis wanting to work with Hendrix, which would suggest that Miles thought pretty highly of Hendrix. Not comparing Miles to Hendrix. That's just silly. Miles Davis sucked at guitar.

I have no doubt Miles thought he was *better* actually. We're talking about Miles Davis, lol. And him wanting to work with Hendrix is well-known but had it happened I kinda think it would've sounded like Bitches Brew but with Hendrix on guitar IMO. I doubt he would've truly "collaborated" with Hendrix on writing the way I'd have like to have seen but we'll never know of course.

• Members

yes, but i was being facetious with the ":okay-ness" of Eddie. dude can write as good as anyone and play their balls off at the same time. i much prefer jamming his tunes, but again that's just me.

The music was pretty good but.....the lyrics sound like they were written for 15 rear old boys.

IMO

Love some of the the instrumentals.

• Members

Everyone else has clearly stated that "better" is opinion and how revolutionary Jimi was how he used the instrument.

In terms of technique, he isn't even near the modern guitarists but he didn't ever once play that kind of music.

All that said, as I grew up after him and didn't appreciate his impact at the time as he was "old", I'll list folks.

Modern guitarist
Paul Gilbert
Tony MacAlpine
Jason Becker
Marty Friedman
Richie Kotzen
Steve Vai
Joe Satriani
James Petrucci
Jeff Loomis
Bruce Bouillet
Al Pitrelli
Chris Broderick

From Jimi's Time
John McLaughlin
Terrry Kath
Pat Martino
George Genson

Just the few technical players I can think of off the top of my head.

Derek

• Members

(God not this {censored} again:facepalm:)
People here producing serious lists (we know the difference) might as well be debating Spiderman vs. Batman or Kirk vs. Picard....this is a "contest" that doesn't {censored}ing exist!!! Unless you are in Guitar Center, most of those other names ( unless it's, say, Satch) are unknowns. But, ok, if you insist, I can play "My God Can Beat Up Your God..." and {censored}ing win.

Jimi releases albums from the {censored}ing grave. 40+ years later, people buy them. Lots of them. Last I heard, The Late Mr. Hendrix was worth 80 million dollars. Pretty sure none of the others on those lists (even the - gasp - "technical" players...)can measure up.

Speaking of which...While I have not seen pictures of The Plaster Casters' work,(Google it, NSFW) I have it on good authority that Jimi, quote: "stands 'head and shoulders' above the rest". Not just the guitar players, ALL the Rock Stars of the day.

So, there you have it....releases music from The Great Beyond, has the Biggest Portfolio, and has The Biggest Cawk. James Marshall Hendrix, so baddass, even his name is {censored}ing Marshall powered.:rawk:

:deadhorse:

• Members

People here producing serious lists (we know the difference) might as well be debating Spiderman vs. Batman or Kirk vs. Picard....this is a "contest" that doesn't {censored}ing exist!!! Unless you are in Guitar Center, most of those other names ( unless it's, say, Satch) are unknowns. But, ok, if you insist, I can play "My God Can Beat Up Your God..." and {censored}ing
win

Jimi releases albums from
the {censored}ing grave
. 40+ years later, people buy them.
Lots of them
. Last I heard, The Late Mr. Hendrix was worth 80 million dollars. Pretty sure none of the others on those lists (even the -
gasp
- "technical" players...)can measure up.

Speaking of which...While I have not seen pictures of The Plaster Casters' work,(Google it, NSFW) I have it on good authority that Jimi, quote: "stands 'head and shoulders' above the rest". Not just the guitar players, ALL the Rock Stars of the day.

So, there you have it....releases music from The Great Beyond, has the Biggest Portfolio, and has The Biggest Cawk. James Marshall Hendrix, so baddass, even his
name
is {censored}ing Marshall powered.
:rawk:

Word.

• Members

Jimi releases albums from
the {censored}ing grave
. 40+ years later, people buy them.
Lots of them
. Last I heard, The Late Mr. Hendrix was worth 80 million dollars. Pretty sure none of the others on those lists (even the -
gasp
- "technical" players...)can measure up.

So does Tupac... he's dead too... wait... OMFG... Jimi was Tupac!

Derek

• Members

For the best Hendrix vibe, I always thought Robin Trower channeled Jimi as good as anyone, but had a darker vibe to it.. I freakin love Trower and I'm in the process of putting together an even darker Trower project! SRV made some cool Jimi covers, but overall he lacked that otherworldly vibe that Hendrix and Trower created.. That's where my mind and heart is at.. Trying to create another sonic world..

And for those who still say Hendrix paled in comparison to *gasp* YouTube losers technically!?!! You are out of your {censored}ing mind and are the only reason non talent technical losers exist.. It means nothing.. It's just noise coming from the speakers. That's not talent. That's monkey see monkey do.. If you consider a monkey to be more talented than a person who can create an image by the sound he creates, then you completely miss the artistic value of music. The most technically talented to me are the guys who can just play the instrument like a flowing river.. You ever see Hendrix looking and trying to grab a note? No! It's all feeling and every sound and every note played was the result of putting to sound the image in his head. That's {censored}ing "technical"talent.. He had no limit and would play his guitar effortlessly.. The only modern guy that comes to mind for me who plays with the "technical"ability that most associate that word with, and also plays with feel and looks effortless, is Vai.. I may not totally dig Vai's arrangements, but he grabs and creates by pure feel like Hendrix.. Not every note is perfectly fretted.. It's about grabbing that note that is not a note! Watch Hendrix or Vai and there will be a moment that the greatest note played had nothing to do with "technical precision", but it was created by manipulating the instrument. That is talent above and beyond anyone who can play every fretted note without feel..

• Members

For the best Hendrix vibe, I always thought Robin Trower channeled Jimi as good as anyone, but had a darker vibe to it.. I freakin love Trower and I'm in the process of putting together an even darker Trower project! SRV made some cool Jimi covers, but overall he lacked that otherworldly vibe that Hendrix and Trower created.. That's where my mind and heart is at.. Trying to create another sonic world..

And for those who still say Hendrix paled in comparison to *gasp* YouTube losers technically!?!! You are out of your {censored}ing mind and are the only reason non talent technical losers exist.. It means nothing.. It's just noise coming from the speakers. That's not talent. That's monkey see monkey do.. If you consider a monkey to be more talented than a person who can create an image by the sound he creates, then you completely miss the artistic value of music. The most technically talented to me are the guys who can just play the instrument like a flowing river.. You ever see Hendrix looking and trying to grab a note? No! It's all feeling and every sound and every note played was the result of putting to sound the image in his head. That's {censored}ing "technical"talent.. He had no limit and would play his guitar effortlessly.. The only modern guy that comes to mind for me who plays with the "technical"ability that most associate that word with, and also plays with feel and looks effortless, is Vai.. I may not totally dig Vai's arrangements, but he grabs and creates by pure feel like Hendrix.. Not every note is perfectly fretted.. It's about grabbing that note that is not a note! Watch Hendrix or Vai and there will be a moment that the greatest note played had nothing to do with "technical precision", but it was created by manipulating the instrument. That is talent above and beyond anyone who can play every fretted note without feel..

Archived