Better than Hendrix?

tilimo

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I think it's hard to quantify better. Hendrix was an innovator and trend setter.

There are a ton of great guitar players that are great at what they do. I don't think Hendrix could hang with the likes of Joe Pass, Django reinhardt, Tommy Emmanuel, Chet Atkins, Johnny Hiland, Danny Gatton, Paul Gilbert and the list goes on but that doesn't mean they are better than he was.

• Members

Granted, that's true. But if he goes around thinking he's better than Hendrix that's even worse! lol.

I agree, the post was mostly just trolling. Satch is the only one I will argue as being better, but even he hasn't had near the influence that Jimi did.

Brian Ashland, while a good guitarist the first time I heard him, his opinions on Hendrix were laughable. At the time (it's been 8 years or so) I was picking his brain a little bit on guitarists and such and he just thought the worst of the classic guitar gods Page/ace/jimi/walsh/etc, even EVH wasn't that good in his opinion. He felt that he was a lot better than all of those guys and the guys I mentioned where tenfold better than Hendrix.

• Members

this type of stuff is usually stupid.

however, if you want to somehow quantify, i think you have to look at not old vs new, but instead, how much greater is this person than everybody else during the same time period. same with sports, kind of like how far ahead of everybody bo jackson was at the time. if you compare it like this, then i don't think you will find anyone "better" than hendrix. he was so far ahead of everybody and blazed a mighty big trail. there have been others as well, who were breakthrough, like EVH, but none at the time could come close to hendrix. EVH was sort of the same way, but people started to keep up sort of soon when compared to hendrix. i mean, the closest person at the time to be able to compare to hendrix was clapton, and hendrix {censored} all over him.

in terms of pure technical prowess, there are a lot of people who are "technically" better. paul gilbert, vai, guthrie govan, etc..... and yes, i think guthrie and vai are ahead of everbody else right now, but hendrix was so revolutionary.

• Members

I agree, the post was mostly just trolling. Satch is the only one I will argue as being better, but even he hasn't had near the influence that Jimi did.

Satch reminds me of a modern Hendrix in a lot of ways. It isn't too surprising considering Hendrix is his biggest influence and favorite guitarist....it definitely shows.

• Members

Jimi had more going for him than just being a great guitar player. He wrote great songs too.

I haven't seen any guitar players listed in this thread that can touch Jimi's song writing.

I'd think that floppy haired Dutch guy did :ok.... :o :o

That SRV dude didn't write too many snoozers, either.

• Members

I think it's hard to quantify better. Hendrix was an innovator and trend setter.

There are a ton of great guitar players that are great at what they do. I don't think Hendrix could hang with the likes of Joe Pass, Django reinhardt, Tommy Emmanuel, Chet Atkins, Johnny Hiland, Danny Gatton, Paul Gilbert and the list goes on but that doesn't mean they are better than he was.

Miles Davis thought he could hang.

• Members

Miles Davis thought he could hang.

Miles is his own categegory, and made some of my favorite records ever, but as far as pure virtuosity and harmonic control? Would have to put Coltrane and Bill Evans above him if we're talking jazz guys. But that's not really a fair comparison to Hendrix either.

• Members

So do you think that there aren't a lot of "ok" songs out there?

What is bastest?

yes, but i was being facetious with the ":okay-ness" of Eddie. dude can write as good as anyone and play their balls off at the same time. i much prefer jamming his tunes, but again that's just me.

• Members

Miles is his own categegory, and made some of my favorite records ever, but as far as pure virtuosity and harmonic control? Would have to put Coltrane and Bill Evans above him if we're talking jazz guys. But that's not really a fair comparison to Hendrix either.

I think Telephant is referring to Miles Davis wanting to work with Hendrix, which would suggest that Miles thought pretty highly of Hendrix. Not comparing Miles to Hendrix. That's just silly. Miles Davis sucked at guitar.

Archived