going to buy a 2-ch amp soon

guitarbilly74

• Members

So I'm looking to buy a 2-channel amp just to add some versatility to my set up. Not selling the GH100L, this is just something on the side for gigs where I need a dedicated clean channel.
I'm not sure what to get though.... my first option would be the VH100R but I can't find one that's reasonably priced anywhere. GC has one but I called them and the fs is missing and the amp and I don't want to deal with finding a replacement.

I have also been looking into the LH50R, but I am not sure if the drive channel has enough gain. Not sure about the IronHearts either, they seem too pricey for what they are.

Then there are the usual suspects, DSL, Legacy, JCA etc but I am not sure if I want to buy one of these amps again.

Another idea would be to get a Randall RG100ES or RG80ES, they normally go for really cheap and are really cool. Marshall Mosfets are also cool, as far as SS goes...

What else is out there that is worth checking out? I can spend up to $800 on this amp but if I can find something cool for less, that would be better lol

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Quote Originally Posted by RSBro

View Post

pre-95 exists Recto

srs redface.gif

I used to have one (not pre 95 lol ) and I only liked it with the fx loop off icon_lol.gif but then I couldn't use any post-distortion reverb or delay. Maybe a Rectoverb or Trem o verb would be a better option so I can just use the amp's verb and forget about the fx loop.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by NinjaRaf

View Post

Yeah that's one of the amps I am considering. I had a BL again for a couple of days about a month ago (bought it for ::fred:: ) and really enjoyed playing through it, it's so easy to get a good tone out of them. Their clean channel is not that good though, but I can probably make it work.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by guitarbilly74

View Post

Yeah that's one of the amps I am considering. I had a BL again for a couple of days about a month ago (bought it for ::fred:: ) and really enjoyed playing through it, it's so easy to get a good tone out of them. Their clean channel is not that good though, but I can probably make it work.

haha fred. He bought my BL as well when I sold it after getting the 6505+. Dont you use a delay pedal? That makes the clean pretty awesome. Or just get a 5150II and then you have a separate EQ and a channel designed a little more to be clean.

Or, get a JC120 and an aby pedal and keep the laney as distortion and JC as clean.

JSX would be another great option, or a XXX. Im trying to think about what other amps have decent clean channels in that price range, but I havent paid too much attention to clean channels. FWIW, Ironhearts clean channels sounded really good when I saw KSE last week. Their distortions sounded great, too, but Im not sure they were using Ironhearts exclusively...pretty sure I saw some Nitros on stage.

• Members

check out an ampeg reverberocket.

best marshall crunch (jcm800) and fender clean in one amp i have played. the matching cabs have GT75s in them. a half-stack at my local store for $600 in great condition and i believe has mullard el34s in it right now. haven't checked online prices yet.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by "sasquatch" View Post

best marshall crunch (jcm800) and fender clean in one amp i have played. the matching cabs have GT75s in them. a half-stack at my local store for $600 in great condition and i believe has mullard el34s in it right now. haven't checked online prices yet.

is that your vid?? i was watching that yesterday, sounds great

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by "sasquatch"

View Post

I can't watch the video now but marked for later. Sounds promising.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by NinjaRaf

View Post

FWIW, Ironhearts clean channels sounded really good when I saw KSE last week. Their distortions sounded great, too, but Im not sure they were using Ironhearts exclusively...pretty sure I saw some Nitros on stage.

Joel has used Nitros for a while now. smile.gif

• Members

Peavey Classic 50. I'm actually thinking about picking one up once I realized how cheap they are used.

It's true, these go for stupid cheap for what they are but I doubt they'd do the kind of gain Billy wants honestly. With a boost they can get close though, sure. I got a classic 50 2x12 recently for free lol and they're rad but there are so many things I don't need I'm looking at that are good deals right now: used bogner 2X12 cab, used fender hot rod/blues deluxe/devilles are good deals too. Bogner red pedal and one of those would do *a lot* and have great cleans for not much $.

• Members

Don't go for LH50R, honestly. The gain channel WILL NOT cut it for you after having the GH100L for as long as you've had. LH50R is a good amp with some really good clean and some good grind, but not nearly as raw, singy, sustainy as the GH. The gain is too smooth, more like a clean with a quality TS pedal kind of sound.

I say you do what I plan on doing and patiently wait for the right VH100R to come along. In fact, I'm debating selling my LH50R to put toward a VH.

Archived