going to buy a 2-ch amp soon

guitarbilly74

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

It's true, these go for stupid cheap for what they are but I doubt they'd do the kind of gain Billy wants honestly. With a boost they can get close though, sure. I got a classic 50 2x12 recently for free lol and they're rad but there are so many things I don't need I'm looking at that are good deals right now: used bogner 2X12 cab, used fender hot rod/blues deluxe/devilles are good deals too. Bogner red pedal and one of those would do *a lot* and have great cleans for not much $.

I used to have a C50 head. It does have enough gain in the pre amp for what I do, but the EL84s in the power amp just don't stay tight enough for my taste. I'd LOVE to see Peavey release a 6L6 version of the amp, that would be really cool. But the EL84s are just too spongy for my needs. It's an awesome classic rock amp for sure though.

• Members

I used to have a C50 head. It does have enough gain in the pre amp for what I do, but the EL84s in the power amp just don't stay tight enough for my taste. I'd LOVE to see Peavey release a 6L6 version of the amp, that would be really cool. But the EL84s are just too spongy for my needs. It's an awesome classic rock amp for sure though.

I totally agree.

But let's be real. You're just gonna go buy another DSL, come on :D

• Members

Randall MTS 50 :o

seriously though, they're awesome and cheap. I had a modified recto module that was MEAN and the stock clean module is fantastic. Loop for either rack or pedal gear, can be midi controlled, and individual test points and bias adjustment for each tube so you can run any setup you want.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by The Anomaly

View Post

That's a good idea. I was going to go all C50, until I read what Billy said.

It's all relative though. A C50 isn't going to be too spongy unless you're cranking it IMO and also "spongy" is relative to what you're used to. Is it tight like a mark series? No, but it's still got plenty of headroom for heavy stuff but at the same time it is best suited as a blues/classic rock up through hard rock amp IMO.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by chrispsullivan

View Post

View Post

6505+ in North Hollywood for $500. http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv...463399136.html

View Post

Ultra 212 converted to head shell for $100 in Santa Clarita. eek.gifhttp://losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv...461788932.html

View Post

6505 for $500 or best offer in Hollywood. http://losangeles.craigslist.org/lac...455851394.html

View Post

View Post

Dude, have you thought about looking for an old Peavey Ultra, Ultra Plus, or Triumph? There's an Ultra Plus in North Hollywood right now for $300. http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv...429453666.html

To all of you who don't live in SoCal:

In your face!!!!! icon_lol.gif

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by '63-Strat

View Post

It's all relative though. A C50 isn't going to be too spongy unless you're cranking it IMO and also "spongy" is relative to what you're used to. Is it tight like a mark series? No, but it's still got plenty of headroom for heavy stuff but at the same time it is best suited as a blues/classic rock up through hard rock amp IMO.

Oh I hear you, it's pretty much my favorite amp. The 84's do something for me with the tone, that other amps don't do.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by The Anomaly

View Post

Oh I hear you, it's pretty much my favorite amp. The 84's do something for me with the tone, that other amps don't do.

They give you blowjobs? {censored}, I'm buying one of those tew-DAY

Billy - damn, the Dallas CL is pretty legit so I can't complain but Gotdamn! icon_lol.gif

Archived