New Amp Search - Shimmering clean to high gain heaven

Guitarman686

• Members

Bogner Ecstasy or the VHT/Fryette Sig:X.

This is kind of a plug for forumites misle and KCTigerChief, who are both complete gear whores. They do know tone, though. Either of these amps can do great cleans, crunch, and higher gain. Listen to some clips to figure out which flavor suits your taste.

You may also want to try a Mesa Mark IV.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Bogner Ecstasy or the VHT/Fryette Sig:X.

This is kind of a plug for forumites misle and KCTigerChief, who are both complete gear whores. They do know tone, though. Either of these amps can do great cleans, crunch, and higher gain. Listen to some clips to figure out which flavor suits your taste.

You may also want to try a Mesa Mark IV.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Guitarman686 View Post
In the market for a new head. Looking for shimmering clean to high gain heaven. Does this exist where you could get a fender clean and then enough gain to play death metal? My playing has become all over the place. I love a nice clean tone for jazz and funk. Then I want to roll up some gain and be able to hit Hard rock tones, Lynch Mob, Dokken. After a while, I just want to go balls to the wall and get low and sluggy in C#. Where do I need to go with this?
Currently rocking on a Peavey 6505+ also have the triple xxx. I played the ENGL Powerball 2. It was great for the newer metal but I dont know about the classic sound. Ive played dual rec's and they dont get the juices flowing. Played the splawn nitro and it sounded so dry. Im down with tube heads 2 or 3 channels. Where do I go now boys? Marshall JCM 800 or 900 or JVM? Should I just keep the peavey and mod it? I need something that is decent at low volume as well. I end up playing my old marshall valvestate combo more often.
Mesa Tremoverb
Bogner Shiva
Fender Prosonic

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Guitarman686 View Post
In the market for a new head. Looking for shimmering clean to high gain heaven. Does this exist where you could get a fender clean and then enough gain to play death metal? My playing has become all over the place. I love a nice clean tone for jazz and funk. Then I want to roll up some gain and be able to hit Hard rock tones, Lynch Mob, Dokken. After a while, I just want to go balls to the wall and get low and sluggy in C#. Where do I need to go with this?
Currently rocking on a Peavey 6505+ also have the triple xxx. I played the ENGL Powerball 2. It was great for the newer metal but I dont know about the classic sound. Ive played dual rec's and they dont get the juices flowing. Played the splawn nitro and it sounded so dry. Im down with tube heads 2 or 3 channels. Where do I go now boys? Marshall JCM 800 or 900 or JVM? Should I just keep the peavey and mod it? I need something that is decent at low volume as well. I end up playing my old marshall valvestate combo more often.
Mesa Tremoverb
Bogner Shiva
Fender Prosonic

• Members

Based on my experience with these two, either would work.

VHT/Fryette Sig:X - it's just an infinitely tweakable amp. 3 channels with tons of tone shaping options. May give a bit of option paralysis, but it's very difficult to dial in bad tones.
Fender Prosonic - i haven't spent as much time with this one, but a friend of mine has one, and it can easily go from great clean tone to all out brootz. And it looks like a vintage fender, which is cool for an amp that does brootz.

• Members

Based on my experience with these two, either would work.

VHT/Fryette Sig:X - it's just an infinitely tweakable amp. 3 channels with tons of tone shaping options. May give a bit of option paralysis, but it's very difficult to dial in bad tones.
Fender Prosonic - i haven't spent as much time with this one, but a friend of mine has one, and it can easily go from great clean tone to all out brootz. And it looks like a vintage fender, which is cool for an amp that does brootz.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Zozobra View Post
Laney VH100R
This is all VH100R with a g-major in the loop. Unboosted.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9KIPt6HoZpI

EDIT: aha! it wont work with https!
Yep. I dig my VH100R, though I also like boosting it.

And one of the older 6L6 powered Carvin X100B's with a tubescreamer or other boost of choice can work out great as well for music from very nice cleans to very heavy.

Regarding the Fender & pedal setup, I like some distortion pedals, but I don't like pedals for high gain distortion. The best ones I've heard still lack something or sound a bit harsh. Many can be happy with it, but it usually hits my ears pretty quickly. It's definitely worth checking out in a store, though, since you know a good Fender's going to have a great clean tone and be a good pedal platform.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by FearTheVoices

View Post

Extremely disappointed with the cleans when i got it...Returned the amp after only playing it for a day. Cleans were not the only reason i returned it, but they just sounded lifeless/stale...DO NOT WANT

Same here. I returned my 5150 III 100 watt after a week. Not a good amp IMO

• Members

I definitly want to get out of the dry tone area. Thats where I feel I am at right now with the 6505+. Bone dry in a desert searching for water. Even after adding reverb and delay, I cant hide it. Im really interested in the Laney and I do admit, I love the sound of fender cleans. I didnt know there was a fender out there that can get some silly gain. Bogner is sounding good too but I know the ectasy is big dough.

Archived