Guitarman686

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Quote Originally Posted by bdubbs

View Post

JVM 410H

Agree! You should try this amp and check out the mods available for it also. There is a Fender Blackface mod for the clean channel, and a Mesa Dual Rectifier mod for OD-2. You can actually have 4 different amp voicings for this amp! It is easy to mod. I just traded a Mesa Mark III for mine and have zero regrets. Mine is currently stock and you need a noise gate in the loop for OD1 and 2 in red mode. It is very versatile! The Mesa was a 1 trick pony. But it was a great trick!

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by FearTheVoices

View Post

Extremely disappointed with the cleans when i got it...Returned the amp after only playing it for a day. Cleans were not the only reason i returned it, but they just sounded lifeless/stale...DO NOT WANT

Well, keep in mind that I upgraded from an original Blockletter, so just about anything would sound good coming from that icon_lol.gif, but I find them quite nice for a high gainer. Yes, they sound a bit compressed, like there is a compressor on or something, but they are leagues better than most other high gainers I've tried.

• Members

Many amps can do this combination but I'd say the core high gain sound you want comes down to taste in the end. Rectifier vs a diezel vs a mark vs a X amp of your prefference is really different before you get the clean channel into account and even then there are differences for the type of clean one preferes.

If a pure fender sound is what one wants on the clean there is the supersonic twin 100 watt head which is pretty good on the high gain channel and you can always get pedals for extra dirt on its clean.

I never care for the clean channel as long as it doesn't get in the way (limited headroom etc) and many high gainers I like are pretty acceptable on the clean channel (mark, peavey XXX, brunettis, marshall JVM, a lot of them actually). Even a marshall JCM 900 has a pretty good clean channel and good dirt. Riveras...

Oh the mark III is great from mesa and affordable used but it can't get a great clean and lead tone at the same time, for me at least. It can with different settings but not exactly with the same settings.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Rufus Leaking

View Post

Bad Cat Lynx

I'd agree -- mostly because I own one. The cleans are amazing, and the gain side is sweet ass modded Marshall goodness with it's one thing going on.

Also, a Suhr CAA PT100 would fit the bill -- that's the first amp I thought of when I saw the thread title. I love owning both these amps. love.gif

Archived