A question of free will

OverDriven

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Quote Originally Posted by Rear Naked

View Post

This could be a dangerous or empowering idea, yet the idea won't change anyone's life. How does that make sense?

you caught me a day later in a different mood icon_lol.gif that's how.

Look, I was more popping in here on the 6th page thinking all the debating hullabaloo was going around in silly circles and that's why I said it won't change anything. Show me who in all of these pages has changed their mind and I will officially withdraw my "doesn't change anyone's life" statement icon_lol.gif

• Members

lack of free will does not infer or imply determinism.

why can't you people see that?

EVERY decision that you make is a result of complex chemical interactions in your brain. change the chemical atmosphere in your brain just a little, and the decisions you make will change. you simply cannot control it.

put another way, you choose the things you do because of the structure of your brain and the concentration of neurochemicals therein. change either of those, and you'll make different decisions. WHO you are is what your brain is and contains.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by knucklefux

View Post

I get it. What's funny is that people who believe in free will can't explain it. They'll say, "yesterday I had leftover lasagne for lunch, today I brought a sandwich but I could have had more lasagne. That's free will!"

• Members

View Post

EVERY decision that you make is a result of complex chemical interactions in your brain. change the chemical atmosphere in your brain just a little, and the decisions you make will change. you simply cannot control it.

put another way, you choose the things you do because of the structure of your brain and the concentration of neurochemicals therein. change either of those, and you'll make different decisions. WHO you are is what your brain is and contains.

Ok.

What does that have to do with what the OP was asking about? Ie being able to predict the future based on particle behavior determined at the onset of existence.

Is the structure of our brains and the concentration of neuro chemicals what creates our conscience and awareness? So our interactions with our environment is something that changes these two things?

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Burgandy

View Post

Ok.

What does that have to do with what the OP was asking about? Ie being able to predict the future based on particle behavior determined at the onset of existence.

Is the structure of our brains and the concentration of neuro chemicals what creates our conscience and awareness? So our interactions with our environment is something that changes these two things?

the OP was off base in attempting to use physics to infer determinism. nobody really argued that.

what has been (and will continue to be) argued is the existence of free will.

the structure and chemistry in our brains is responsible for our conscience (consciousness?) and awareness, yes. interactions with the environment can certainly change these things.

• Members

View Post

the OP was off base in attempting to use physics to infer determinism. nobody really argued that.

the structure and chemistry in our brains is responsible for our conscience (consciousness?) and awareness, yes. interactions with the environment can certainly change these things.

on that note... did you know that the fluoride they put in our water calcifies the pineal gland? And furthermore, if we change our environment haven't we changed the factors that affect our free will, and by extension exercised our free will?

• Members

View Post

Oh, then we're on the same page. Just checking.

• Members

If you look at human movement on the scale of the universe....heck, even our own solar system then net movement of the particles that make up our entire species probably sums to a number close to zero...so the 'free will' of our movement can be argued to have had very little effect. :-)

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Mike LX-R

View Post

on that note... did you know that the fluoride they put in our water calcifies the pineal gland? And furthermore, if we change our environment haven't we changed the factors that affect our free will, and by extension exercised our free will?

got any research to back that up?

i'd like to know the mechanism by which flouride causes something to calcify.

further, i'd like to know what the consequences of a calcified pineal gland are.

• Members

View Post

got any research to back that up?

i'd like to know the mechanism by which flouride causes something to calcify.

further, i'd like to know what the consequences of a calcified pineal gland are.

there's a {censored} tone of research. you can easily find it, as well as problems caused by it. calcification of any gland is bad news for your biochemistry. so my point in all of this is that if you choose to live in a way that vastly alters the overall composition of your neurological function, then you've affected the conditions which according to you dictate the choices that you make. we are definitely players in our own destiny for sure, that's what I'm getting at.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Mike LX-R

View Post

there's a {censored} tone of research. you can easily find it, as well as problems caused by it. calcification of any gland is bad news for your biochemistry. so my point in all of this is that if you choose to live in a way that vastly alters the overall composition of your neurological function, then you've affected the conditions which according to you dictate the choices that you make. we are definitely players in our own destiny for sure, that's what I'm getting at.

i looked, didn't find any reputable sources.

please provide yours.

also, none of us have a destiny.

• Members

View Post

i looked, didn't find any reputable sources.

please provide yours.

also, none of us have a destiny.

You're dodging my argument and you could step away from the pineal gland argument and break into any lifestyle that negatively effects cognitive function, whether by depletion of nutrients used for cognition, or a whole array of other factors. my point is that your choice to live in a certain way effects your chemical make-up overall, which according to you dictates the choices you make. if I am Omega deficient and I begin to eat a lot of foods because they're high in omegas my neurological function is going to change, and so will the choices that I make as a result. Still, it was a choice to alter my composition.

Archived