A question of free will

OverDriven

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Quote Originally Posted by BustaPheara

View Post

I've been in the "free will is an illusion" camp for a while. Classical physics does indeed indicate that all events are caused in a deterministic manner. Free will would require that our brains, which are physical objects, somehow be able to step outside of this deterministic system, but there's no justification for that notion. Quantum physics, if it does change any of this, simply tells us that events at the sub-atomic level are probablistic. I don't see how replacing A causes B with A causes B through Z with determinable probablilities really makes free will any more tenable.

It doesn't. Free-will-illusion doesn't depend at all on determinism.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Burgandy

View Post

So if everything is predetermined this knowledge was meant to be obtained as well as anything that can be done with said knowledge. It doesn't change anything.

If the theory is not correct, it's meaningless.

What benefit do we have by knowing this?

You think the validity of free-will is not important to people?

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Rear Naked

View Post

You think the validity of free-will is not important to people?

It won't change anything so no. I don't think it will benefit the masses. I think arguing destiny is predetermined will remove personal responsibility from the conscience of too many.

• Members

View Post

So if we don't have free will and this is all predetermined, having this knowledge won't change anything.

If not, this is pointless banter on a message board.

It's not a power to harness either way.

Don't get stuck on the determinism part. That is secondary to whether there is free-will or not.

• Members

View Post

It won't change anything so no. I don't think it will benefit the masses. I think arguing destiny is predetermined will remove personal responsibility from the conscience of too many.

You just said it won't change anything, and then in the next sentence you say how it will change people's conscience.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by BustaPheara

View Post

I've been in the "free will is an illusion" camp for a while. Classical physics does indeed indicate that all events are caused in a deterministic manner. Free will would require that our brains, which are physical objects, somehow be able to step outside of this deterministic system, but there's no justification for that notion. Quantum physics, if it does change any of this, simply tells us that events at the sub-atomic level are probablistic. I don't see how replacing A causes B with A causes B through Z with determinable probablilities really makes free will any more tenable.

That sums up how I feel as well.

Free Will is very important for some religions, like Christianity, no? Like the idea that you use your free will to sin or not to sin.

• Members

View Post

Some religions stress fatalism quite a bit. I'm sure this affects peoples' behaviour.

• Members

View Post

Don't get stuck on the determinism part. That is secondary to whether there is free-will or not.

I believe there is but I'm so far from an expert in this field I just wanted to add my uninformed opinion.

So essentially the argument boils down to how random things truly are at their core? Similar to how using a random formula in Excel still yields a predetermined pattern for cell selection? No matter how many levels the programmers can introduce there is still no way to make a black and white computer think illogically and truly select at random?

• Members

View Post

I believe there is but I'm so far from an expert in this field I just wanted to add my uninformed opinion.

So essentially the argument boils down to how random things truly are at their core? Similar to how using a random formula in Excel still yields a predetermined pattern for cell selection? No matter how many levels the programmers can introduce there is still no way to make a black and white computer think illogically and truly select at random?

The OP used determinism to argue against free-will, but was incorrect in using physics to imply determinism. However, we could possibly have no free-will even in a non-determined universe.

The argument against free will does not need to take determinism or indeterminism into account. IMO the interesting idea is free-will vs non-free-will. Determinism should be discussed after you agree there is no free-will...but 20th century physics discredits determinism from the start.

To be honest, i dont see where you're coming from with the randomness example.

• Members

View Post

What is "truly random"? Computer programs can use pseudorandom number generators. I have also heard of using radioactive sources as as means of generating randomness. Does it make a difference to you?

• Members

View Post

The OP used determinism to argue against free-will, but was incorrect in using physics to imply determinism. However, we could possibly have no free-will even in a non-determined universe.

The argument against free will does not need to take determinism or indeterminism into account. IMO the interesting idea is free-will vs non-free-will. Determinism should be discussed after you agree there is no free-will...but 20th century physics discredits determinism from the start.

Indeed. When people, usually religious people, argue for free will, stop them and make them explain where this free will comes from -- what the mechanism behind it is. It will turn out to be God or magic.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy Cheeks

View Post

What is "truly random"? Computer programs can use pseudorandom number generators. I have also heard of using radioactive sources as as means of generating randomness. Does it make a difference to you?

I have no idea. I already said I don't know what I'm talking about and that my opinion carries no weight.

• Members

I don't believe in free will. I believe in a very strong illusion of free will.

You can read this, lift your arm up and say "See, I chose to do that of my own free will". I say your were predestined to choose to do that and that the action was already laid out in a timeline before it happened.

A smart enough hypothetical "invisible observer" would have been able to utterly predict that future event using only clues from the present moment.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Jesse G

View Post

A smart enough hypothetical "invisible observer" would have been able to utterly predict that future event using only clues from the present moment.

How would they suss out quantum uncertainty?

And a question for those folks who understand quantum mechanisms, because I don't: how much quantum uncertainty manifests itself into the macro world? Doe it make any difference?

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy Cheeks

View Post

I agree, but is it nonsense?

it's a discussion about an idea, most of which is rooted in speculative logic. it's all fun for the theater of the mind... but there will be no resounding consensus, and ultimately our lives will not be affected by any would-be conclusions. we'll continue to plug along in the same manner, all of us maintaining a different version of a truth we're willing to believe, none of it making much impact on how we live.

yes, I say it non-offensively. it's nonsense.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Mike LX-R

View Post

it's a discussion about an idea, most of which is rooted in speculative logic. it's all fun for the theater of the mind... but there will be no resounding consensus, and ultimately our lives will not be affected by any would-be conclusions. we'll continue to plug along in the same manner, all of us maintaining a different version of a truth we're willing to believe, none of it making much impact on how we live.

yes, I say it non-offensively. it's nonsense.

No one has ever changed their mind, about their view of the world and what they believe in?

Archived