A question of free will

OverDriven

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Heisenberg says no to a clockwork universe. You can know the position of a particle, or you can know it's velocity, but you can't know both.

That being said, there is a show called "Closer To Truth", in which psychological experiments are discussed that electrical changes associated with decision-making were taking place in the brain *before* the subject made the decision.

Fascinating, Captain.

• Members

Heisenberg says no to a clockwork universe. You can know the position of a particle, or you can know it's velocity, but you can't know both.

That being said, there is a show called "Closer To Truth", in which psychological experiments are discussed that electrical changes associated with decision-making were taking place in the brain *before* the subject made the decision.

Fascinating, Captain.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by evets618

View Post

Fascinating, Captain.

You can know both to a inversely proportional degree. You cannot know both with precision though. That is Heisenberg's uncertainty principle. That alone doesn't necessarily negate to possibly of unconditional freewill. The universe itself and all of the laws that allow it's existence do.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by evets618

View Post

Fascinating, Captain.

You can know both to a inversely proportional degree. You cannot know both with precision though. That is Heisenberg's uncertainty principle. That alone doesn't necessarily negate to possibly of unconditional freewill. The universe itself and all of the laws that allow it's existence do.

• Members

I've been in the "free will is an illusion" camp for a while. Classical physics does indeed indicate that all events are caused in a deterministic manner. Free will would require that our brains, which are physical objects, somehow be able to step outside of this deterministic system, but there's no justification for that notion. Quantum physics, if it does change any of this, simply tells us that events at the sub-atomic level are probablistic. I don't see how replacing A causes B with A causes B through Z with determinable probablilities really makes free will any more tenable.

• Members

I've been in the "free will is an illusion" camp for a while. Classical physics does indeed indicate that all events are caused in a deterministic manner. Free will would require that our brains, which are physical objects, somehow be able to step outside of this deterministic system, but there's no justification for that notion. Quantum physics, if it does change any of this, simply tells us that events at the sub-atomic level are probablistic. I don't see how replacing A causes B with A causes B through Z with determinable probablilities really makes free will any more tenable.

• Members

What you are searching for is your animal self versus your human self.

We are both tied to our instincts and disconnected from them. So that is the eternal battle. I have found both very amazing AND so constraining.

A civilized human has a balance. It both lives life on the edge, and within social morals. It can be tough to admit one is fallible, that we ALL make mistakes. Just admit that you do...have some humbleness and humility. But enjoy the moment too...and realize that every moment serves the next.

The real problem with humans is that we think we know everything, that our experience and process is somehow better than the 3 billion other humans. That we know better. It's something in our mind...I can't quite put my finger on it. Some sort absoluteness. It's almost like we can't view ourselves and how stupid we really are. idn_smilie.gif

But hey...just asking these questions is a victory. Thinking.

Edit: One of my challenges is leaving my regret behind. I always wish I would make the perfect decision. To act perfectly. To always have perfect grace. Of course I don't. Of course I make mistakes. But I hate that I have to carry some of these mistakes with me forever.

• Members

What you are searching for is your animal self versus your human self.

We are both tied to our instincts and disconnected from them. So that is the eternal battle. I have found both very amazing AND so constraining.

A civilized human has a balance. It both lives life on the edge, and within social morals. It can be tough to admit one is fallible, that we ALL make mistakes. Just admit that you do...have some humbleness and humility. But enjoy the moment too...and realize that every moment serves the next.

The real problem with humans is that we think we know everything, that our experience and process is somehow better than the 3 billion other humans. That we know better. It's something in our mind...I can't quite put my finger on it. Some sort absoluteness. It's almost like we can't view ourselves and how stupid we really are. idn_smilie.gif

But hey...just asking these questions is a victory. Thinking.

Edit: One of my challenges is leaving my regret behind. I always wish I would make the perfect decision. To act perfectly. To always have perfect grace. Of course I don't. Of course I make mistakes. But I hate that I have to carry some of these mistakes with me forever.

• Members

it's not even a matter of physics. you can't control your own thoughts, can't stop an urge or craving, can't fully control your body.

your brain chemistry is what it is, and you do what you do because of it.

a fine example is someone who smokes, but can't quit no matter how badly they want to or how much they hate it (these people do exist, i suspect there are some among us)...or any other addict, really. they continue a behavior in spite of the negative consequences. how could a being with free will choose to do something that can cause them so much discomfort or even death? simple, remove the free will and the question needs not be asked.

as i said earlier, i find there to be similarities between the adherence to free will and the adherence to religion...in some ways, xian religion hinges on free will. without it, the whole house of cards falls down. i mention this because i think trying to have a conversation about the existence of free will is about as productive as an athiest and a priest discussing the finer points of faith.

• Members

it's not even a matter of physics. you can't control your own thoughts, can't stop an urge or craving, can't fully control your body.

your brain chemistry is what it is, and you do what you do because of it.

a fine example is someone who smokes, but can't quit no matter how badly they want to or how much they hate it (these people do exist, i suspect there are some among us)...or any other addict, really. they continue a behavior in spite of the negative consequences. how could a being with free will choose to do something that can cause them so much discomfort or even death? simple, remove the free will and the question needs not be asked.

as i said earlier, i find there to be similarities between the adherence to free will and the adherence to religion...in some ways, xian religion hinges on free will. without it, the whole house of cards falls down. i mention this because i think trying to have a conversation about the existence of free will is about as productive as an athiest and a priest discussing the finer points of faith.

Archived