Modern Metal is horrible!

The Rossness

• Members

Rock music/metal has been on the downturn in the past decades due to a fairly relativistic reason: rap music and hip-hop have taken over and provided true innovation. Not to say some battle of the genres is how we should think about music, but the freshest sounds since the eighties have come from rappers. Sure, they "just sample" (which isn't the only thing that is going on most of the time) but I look at it this way: all the totally {censored} classic rock music from the mid seventies onward is just some guitar god trying to put terrible lyrics to the same handful of chord progressions, with no grooving at all. The best rap has grooves, different progressions and just listen to A Tribe Called Quest for an example of damn impressive writing/delivery.

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Quote Originally Posted by TheKrabsman

View Post

Rock music/metal has been on the downturn in the past decades due to a fairly relativistic reason: rap music and hip-hop have taken over and provided true innovation. Not to say some battle of the genres is how we should think about music, but the freshest sounds since the eighties have come from rappers. Sure, they "just sample" (which isn't the only thing that is going on most of the time) but I look at it this way: all the totally {censored} classic rock music from the mid seventies onward is just some guitar god trying to put terrible lyrics to the same handful of chord progressions, with no grooving at all. The best rap has grooves, different progressions and just listen to A Tribe Called Quest for an example of damn impressive writing/delivery.

Not_Sure_if_Serious_meme.jpg

• Members

View Post

Not_Sure_if_Serious_meme.jpg

• Members

View Post

trolololololllolololloloooo

• Members

View Post

trolololololllolololloloooo

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by MadKeithV

View Post

Is this supposed to be an example of a ballsy strong voice? 'cause it sounds like James LaBrie.

James LaBrie??? really

I love DT but I think this guy smokes LaBrie. He can mix up the clean with death metal or black metal vocals.

I don't know if I'd say he has a ballsy voice but (to me anyway) he sure doesn't sound like an emo {censored} like a lot of the metal guys do when they try to sing clean.

He does la,la it up a bit in places (I think he's a big Freddie mercury fan, sounds it anyway) but I think the way he sings the verses in this tune is great (and I'm not really much of a fan of these guys, but i do like this tune).

As far as metal bands with actual singers I think these guys are near the top (this is the band got me back into metal and turned me on to 7 string guitars)

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by MadKeithV

View Post

Is this supposed to be an example of a ballsy strong voice? 'cause it sounds like James LaBrie.

James LaBrie??? really

I love DT but I think this guy smokes LaBrie. He can mix up the clean with death metal or black metal vocals.

I don't know if I'd say he has a ballsy voice but (to me anyway) he sure doesn't sound like an emo {censored} like a lot of the metal guys do when they try to sing clean.

He does la,la it up a bit in places (I think he's a big Freddie mercury fan, sounds it anyway) but I think the way he sings the verses in this tune is great (and I'm not really much of a fan of these guys, but i do like this tune).

As far as metal bands with actual singers I think these guys are near the top (this is the band got me back into metal and turned me on to 7 string guitars)

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by ComOp

View Post

I can enjoy just about every music ever made, at least in part... The exception for me is that Derek Baily improv jazz {censored}. Modern cookie monster Metal may not seem very musical compared to your music of choice, but it does still have basic musical structure unlike this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ow-YPRq-t8A

Except that isn't meant to be jazz. Derek Bailey is an acquired taste.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by ComOp

View Post

I can enjoy just about every music ever made, at least in part... The exception for me is that Derek Baily improv jazz {censored}. Modern cookie monster Metal may not seem very musical compared to your music of choice, but it does still have basic musical structure unlike this:

Except that isn't meant to be jazz. Derek Bailey is an acquired taste.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by wok

View Post

sorry, but the vocals turn it into quasi-powermetal cheese facepalm.gif

It's the lame, exaggerated vibrato...

AND THE DRAGON COMES IN THE NIIIiIIIIIIIIiiiiIIIIIIIIGHT1-!

That being said, cheesy powermetal can rock, I surprised the bejeezus out of myself by enjoying Hammerfall live a few years back. A sense of humour and a bit of wit goes a long way for cheesy music.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by wok

View Post

nope, never heard it. icon_lol.gif

anyway, I love singing, i HATE cheesy powermetal falsetto Judas Priest/Iron Maiden imitation singing. To me, THIS is fantastic powerful singing:

Wow. Just... wow. I LOVED that.... The tones, the vocals, the song structure. I suddenly hear where Textures get some of their inspiration smile.gif BRB, buying a bunch of Devin CDs.

Archived