Modern Metal is horrible!

The Rossness

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I can enjoy just about every music ever made, at least in part... The exception for me is that Derek Baily improv jazz {censored}. Modern cookie monster Metal may not seem very musical compared to your music of choice, but it does still have basic musical structure unlike this:

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by satannica

View Post

And I'm going to just say it - bar a handful of awesome Strapping Young Lad albums, Devin Townsend {censored}ing sucks. He really does. He can {censored} off back to boring {censored}sville as far as I'm concerned!

Really? I think his SYL stuff is awful with a few exceptions and love nearly everything else he's done. Not a huge fan of the last two Devin Townsend Project albums, though. A little too ridiculous. But other than that Ocean Machine, Acclerated Evolution, Ki, Terria, Physicist (which he hated), Addicted, and so on I thought were fantastic.

This song is very simple, but it's just... Devin.

Anyway, to each his own, I guess, but Devin really struck a chord in me and made me enjoy a style of music I never would have normally bothered with.

• Members

View Post

And I'm going to just say it - bar a handful of awesome Strapping Young Lad albums, Devin Townsend {censored}ing sucks. He really does. He can {censored} off back to boring {censored}sville as far as I'm concerned!

Really? I think his SYL stuff is awful with a few exceptions and love nearly everything else he's done. Not a huge fan of the last two Devin Townsend Project albums, though. A little too ridiculous. But other than that Ocean Machine, Acclerated Evolution, Ki, Terria, Physicist (which he hated), Addicted, and so on I thought were fantastic.

Anyway, to each his own, I guess, but Devin really struck a chord in me and made me enjoy a style of music I never would have normally bothered with.

• Members

this is good clean singing without the cheese:

oh, and for the record, the singer from Anaal Nathrakh > most metal singers. He can do anything from screetching to grunts to powerful operatic vocals. Listen to the refrain, which is an interpretation from a famous opera (starts at 1:03):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJvLPV3P-Io

again, no cheesy powermetal falsetto

• Members

this is good clean singing without the cheese:

oh, and for the record, the singer from Anaal Nathrakh > most metal singers. He can do anything from screetching to grunts to powerful operatic vocals. Listen to the refrain, which is an interpretation from a famous opera (starts at 1:03):

again, no cheesy powermetal falsetto

• Members

View Post

icon_lol.giffacepalm.gif Even though I don't like everything he did, not even close, I respect that he doesn't give a {censored} what everyone thinks, he does whatever he feels like and he is a hell of a singer and a guitarist/songwriter. So i'd say he sucks is a bit wide off the mark

• Members

View Post

icon_lol.giffacepalm.gif Even though I don't like everything he did, not even close, I respect that he doesn't give a {censored} what everyone thinks, he does whatever he feels like and he is a hell of a singer and a guitarist/songwriter. So i'd say he sucks is a bit wide off the mark

• Members

View Post

icon_lol.giffacepalm.gif Even though I don't like everything he did, not even close, I respect that he doesn't give a {censored} what everyone thinks, he does whatever he feels like and he is a hell of a singer and a guitarist/songwriter. So saying he sucks is a bit wide off the mark

• Members

View Post

icon_lol.giffacepalm.gif Even though I don't like everything he did, not even close, I respect that he doesn't give a {censored} what everyone thinks, he does whatever he feels like and he is a hell of a singer and a guitarist/songwriter. So saying he sucks is a bit wide off the mark

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Ovid9

View Post

Oh god this. Why? WHY?!?!? I just politely say "Naw, they're not my thing." and hope the conversation stops because they sure as hell aren't going to know a single band I'd name.

Exactly. I'll prolly' have to break out the truth tornado tomorrow. biggrin.gif

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Ovid9

View Post

Oh god this. Why? WHY?!?!? I just politely say "Naw, they're not my thing." and hope the conversation stops because they sure as hell aren't going to know a single band I'd name.

Exactly. I'll prolly' have to break out the truth tornado tomorrow. biggrin.gif

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by DirtyBird

View Post

I like SYL but also do prefer more of Devin's solo material. He's definitely a unique and great writer/musician. cool.gif

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by DirtyBird

View Post

I like SYL but also do prefer more of Devin's solo material. He's definitely a unique and great writer/musician. cool.gif

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by AdrianPOA

View Post

Drunk or not, you're missing the point. Do you think bands like Nile, Suffocation, Cannibal Corpse, etc. set out to get on the radio? They are well aware that what they do is underground. However, for the niche market they are in, them and other bands of that ilk have respectable fanbases. The reason why there's not melodic singing is because IT DOES NOT FIT THE ATMOSPHERE OF THE MUSIC!!!!!

Listen to the following song:

If you think this song would somehow be better if Frank Mullen was wailing like Rob Halford, then you don't "get" death metal.

Also, as I have said before, the death metal vocalists I like best are quite decipherable. Sure, I have had to look at lyric sheets sometimes, but you also have to listen to death metal with the frame of mind that the vocals are another physical instrument. It is the way it is because the brutal imagery the music and lyrics project call for the vocalist to perform the way he (and occasionally she) does.

Now, I will say this though; this whole "slam" style of death metal is dumb and one dimensional, and the vocals are dumb too. Not only are they almost entirely indecipherable, but they also sound like pigs going "BREE!! BREE!!!" Oh yeah, and the lyrical content is usually pretty ridiculous when it comes to the slam bands. Here's the most well known slam death metal band out there.

There's always this smile.gif

Archived