Modern Metal is horrible!

The Rossness

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I am quite the opposite. Quite often (mostly with prog and power metal) I find the high-pitched melodic singing extremely cheesy and off-putting, also partly to blame on very cheesy and cliche lyrics. Good, original melodic vocals are few and far between (I like Katatonia for melodic vocals)

Extreme vocals fit extreme music, it's just another way of relaying a feeling or atmosphere where melodic vocals just won't fit. Somehow disgust, anger and aggression don't translate well with power metal falsetto vocals icon_lol.gif

I understand it's not for everyone, but it's no less music than any other style.

FWIW I listen to anything from extreme metal, opera, classical, jazz, ambient, triphop, world music, throat singing to pop and singer songwriter.

• Members

I am quite the opposite. Quite often (mostly with prog and power metal) I find the high-pitched melodic singing extremely cheesy and off-putting, also partly to blame on very cheesy and cliche lyrics. Good, original melodic vocals are few and far between (I like Katatonia for melodic vocals)

Extreme vocals fit extreme music, it's just another way of relaying a feeling or atmosphere where melodic vocals just won't fit. Somehow disgust, anger and aggression don't translate well with power metal falsetto vocals icon_lol.gif

I understand it's not for everyone, but it's no less music than any other style.

FWIW I listen to anything from extreme metal, opera, classical, jazz, ambient, triphop, world music, throat singing to pop and singer songwriter.

• Members

There's always been {censored} in the rock/metal scene. But I would agree that there's way more nowadays. There is such {censored} around these days.

No offense, as I know he posts here, I don't like bands like Periphery, etc. Misha has never had a youtube video which has floored me. There was this, I guess..

Yeah... 6 minutes on one not-very impressive riff... an accomplished rhythm player, sure... but dayum.

Let's not forget our friend Ola Englund. Yeah, I'm well jealous; he's devised a formula for making every single amp on earth sound exactly the same!

But then, seeing who's up the ladder, so to speak, it's hardly surprising. Since the major labels started buying up the ailing underground labels and injecting their "mass acceptance" ingredients, what choice do we have but to swallow bull{censored} fake metal wholesale? Even those trying to be in any way genuine (possibly the likes of Misha/Ola) have very little to go on from an influence perspective.

And I'm going to just say it - bar a handful of awesome Strapping Young Lad albums, Devin Townsend {censored}ing sucks. He really does. He can {censored} off back to boring {censored}sville as far as I'm concerned!

• Members

There's always been {censored} in the rock/metal scene. But I would agree that there's way more nowadays. There is such {censored} around these days.

No offense, as I know he posts here, I don't like bands like Periphery, etc. Misha has never had a youtube video which has floored me. There was this, I guess..

Yeah... 6 minutes on one not-very impressive riff... an accomplished rhythm player, sure... but dayum.

Let's not forget our friend Ola Englund. Yeah, I'm well jealous; he's devised a formula for making every single amp on earth sound exactly the same!

But then, seeing who's up the ladder, so to speak, it's hardly surprising. Since the major labels started buying up the ailing underground labels and injecting their "mass acceptance" ingredients, what choice do we have but to swallow bull{censored} fake metal wholesale? Even those trying to be in any way genuine (possibly the likes of Misha/Ola) have very little to go on from an influence perspective.

And I'm going to just say it - bar a handful of awesome Strapping Young Lad albums, Devin Townsend {censored}ing sucks. He really does. He can {censored} off back to boring {censored}sville as far as I'm concerned!

• Members

I meet this cute chick, dark hair, AC/DC t-shirt and black jeans. She finds out I'm a musician and she says "oh my god I LOVE music! I'm a total metal head, though. I only listen to obscure bands that play REAL metal. you know... like system of a down, slipknot, volbeat, five finger death punch..."

IT HAPPENS ALL THE {censored}ING TIME

• Members

I meet this cute chick, dark hair, AC/DC t-shirt and black jeans. She finds out I'm a musician and she says "oh my god I LOVE music! I'm a total metal head, though. I only listen to obscure bands that play REAL metal. you know... like system of a down, slipknot, volbeat, five finger death punch..."

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Mogwix

View Post

lol, I've noticed some of that, too with some people thinking some top grossing bands in a genre are somehow underground legends. At work there's someone who knows I'm into metal and somehow assumed Five Finger Death Punch is a favorite band of mine, but it's definitely not the kind of metal I listen to. biggrin.gif

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Mogwix

View Post

lol, I've noticed some of that, too with some people thinking some top grossing bands in a genre are somehow underground legends. At work there's someone who knows I'm into metal and somehow assumed Five Finger Death Punch is a favorite band of mine, but it's definitely not the kind of metal I listen to. biggrin.gif

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by satannica

View Post

Sometimes I'll start to think we agree on many things. But then a post like this comes along. biggrin.gif

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by satannica

View Post

Sometimes I'll start to think we agree on many things. But then a post like this comes along. biggrin.gif

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by FearTheVoices

View Post

I am absolutely drunk as {censored} right now at 4am but i will still throw in my two cents which will mean nothing anyway...

I have no {censored}ing idea how all all this growlsing incoherent {censored}ing singing started but it {censored}ing sucks balls. I have listened to a lot of it and the musAc itself is {censored}ing awesome...but the vocals kill it. I just don;t understand the apeal to it..To me it takes no talent to get up there for these bands with vocalist to just go up and make "noise"

So many "hit songs" that never were because of a {censored}ty vocals....And no, it does not matter whether it was a hit song or not. I may not like it, but a lot of you guys do and i respect that. But there is a reason you don't hear this {censored} on the radio...

Again...i am {censored}ing wrecked right now so who {censored}ing cares what i say!!??W?>WE>? GUNS ARE BAD!!

Drunk or not, you're missing the point. Do you think bands like Nile, Suffocation, Cannibal Corpse, etc. set out to get on the radio? They are well aware that what they do is underground. However, for the niche market they are in, them and other bands of that ilk have respectable fanbases. The reason why there's not melodic singing is because IT DOES NOT FIT THE ATMOSPHERE OF THE MUSIC!!!!!

Listen to the following song:

If you think this song would somehow be better if Frank Mullen was wailing like Rob Halford, then you don't "get" death metal.

Also, as I have said before, the death metal vocalists I like best are quite decipherable. Sure, I have had to look at lyric sheets sometimes, but you also have to listen to death metal with the frame of mind that the vocals are another physical instrument. It is the way it is because the brutal imagery the music and lyrics project call for the vocalist to perform the way he (and occasionally she) does.

Now, I will say this though; this whole "slam" style of death metal is dumb and one dimensional, and the vocals are dumb too. Not only are they almost entirely indecipherable, but they also sound like pigs going "BREE!! BREE!!!" Oh yeah, and the lyrical content is usually pretty ridiculous when it comes to the slam bands. Here's the most well known slam death metal band out there.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by FearTheVoices

View Post

I am absolutely drunk as {censored} right now at 4am but i will still throw in my two cents which will mean nothing anyway...

I have no {censored}ing idea how all all this growlsing incoherent {censored}ing singing started but it {censored}ing sucks balls. I have listened to a lot of it and the musAc itself is {censored}ing awesome...but the vocals kill it. I just don;t understand the apeal to it..To me it takes no talent to get up there for these bands with vocalist to just go up and make "noise"

So many "hit songs" that never were because of a {censored}ty vocals....And no, it does not matter whether it was a hit song or not. I may not like it, but a lot of you guys do and i respect that. But there is a reason you don't hear this {censored} on the radio...

Again...i am {censored}ing wrecked right now so who {censored}ing cares what i say!!??W?>WE>? GUNS ARE BAD!!

Drunk or not, you're missing the point. Do you think bands like Nile, Suffocation, Cannibal Corpse, etc. set out to get on the radio? They are well aware that what they do is underground. However, for the niche market they are in, them and other bands of that ilk have respectable fanbases. The reason why there's not melodic singing is because IT DOES NOT FIT THE ATMOSPHERE OF THE MUSIC!!!!!

Listen to the following song:

If you think this song would somehow be better if Frank Mullen was wailing like Rob Halford, then you don't "get" death metal.

Also, as I have said before, the death metal vocalists I like best are quite decipherable. Sure, I have had to look at lyric sheets sometimes, but you also have to listen to death metal with the frame of mind that the vocals are another physical instrument. It is the way it is because the brutal imagery the music and lyrics project call for the vocalist to perform the way he (and occasionally she) does.

Now, I will say this though; this whole "slam" style of death metal is dumb and one dimensional, and the vocals are dumb too. Not only are they almost entirely indecipherable, but they also sound like pigs going "BREE!! BREE!!!" Oh yeah, and the lyrical content is usually pretty ridiculous when it comes to the slam bands. Here's the most well known slam death metal band out there.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by rushtallica

View Post

Oh god this. Why? WHY?!?!? I just politely say "Naw, they're not my thing." and hope the conversation stops because they sure as hell aren't going to know a single band I'd name.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by rushtallica

View Post

Oh god this. Why? WHY?!?!? I just politely say "Naw, they're not my thing." and hope the conversation stops because they sure as hell aren't going to know a single band I'd name.

• Members

the problem I see with the whole "try to put clean vocals in front of it " you guys hear a {censored}ing {censored} singing

i totally agree smile.gif

a lot of the djent singers sound like castrated 9 year old boys when they sing clean.

listen to this and tell me death metal vocals wouldn't have worked over the verses here? sure they would've of.

you can sing clean and not sound like a wimp. You can sing clean and make it sound bad ass but you need a ballsy strong voice

• Members

the problem I see with the whole "try to put clean vocals in front of it " you guys hear a {censored}ing {censored} singing

a lot of the djent singers sound like castrated 9 year old boys when they sing clean.

listen to this and tell me death metal vocals wouldn't have worked over the verses here? sure they would've of.

you can sing clean and not sound like a wimp. You can sing clean and make it sound bad ass but you need a ballsy strong voice

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by kmanick

View Post

you can sing clean and not sound like a wimp.

Yet these bands have sold more tickets and albums than Nevermore, a band that was metal as {censored}, and had a melodic frontman who sang with balls.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by kmanick

View Post

you can sing clean and not sound like a wimp.

Yet these bands have sold more tickets and albums than Nevermore, a band that was metal as {censored}, and had a melodic frontman who sang with balls.

Archived