***Official HCAF Fitness/Bodybuilding Thread***

Gary Cohn

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by rbasaria

View Post

Got any tips for me to start dropping the last 10-15 pounds without losing muscle mass?

Load up on low-fat meats and fish, cut back on everything else, and train as hard as you can but not as long as you can. It's hard to drop any weight without losing at least some muscle. What are you drinking during the day?

• Replies 11k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Quote Originally Posted by savoldi

View Post

Load up on low-fat meats and fish, cut back on everything else, and train as hard as you can but not as long as you can. It's hard to drop any weight without losing at least some muscle.

I figure Ill lose a bit of muscle in the process, but Id like to lose as little as possible. The only problem I have with loading up on more meat is that I simply cant afford to buy enough meat to fill me up icon_lol.gif My body require MASSIVE amounts of food to make me not feel hungry. I just ate about a pound and a half of chicken and veggies about 2 hours ago and I feel like I havent eaten all {censored}ing day frown.gif

• Members

View Post

Does this include cutting carbs in the morning? My problem with that becomes I dont know what to eat for lunch icon_lol.gif Breakfast, I could just add a third egg and not have toast. I always have sandwiches for lunch. I pretty much just eat eggs on toast, chicken or lean beef, and frozen vegetables, and then whatever the hell comes in this light chicken salad sandwich I get for lunch most days....so on days that Im following this, my carb intake is like 4 pieces of bread. I have been eating a lot of cashews...not sure if those are good or bad fats, but Im planning on cutting those out.

I miss being 195 with 11% body fat frown.gif

For lunch I'd crush a chobani yogurt and an apple. 18g/100 cal and the apple is actually negative cal because it requires more calories to digest it than it gives you in the first place. Should give you ample energy til dinner. If you're feeling drained, add half a cup of almonds.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal of Crunk

View Post

I'm all about Crossfit right now. Trying to eat paleo as well, it's hard though. I feel great.

Crossfit is pretty sweet. I got all the paleo diet books and stuff, but I havent read it yet lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Nancy_Pelosi

View Post

For lunch I'd crush a chobani yogurt and an apple. 18g/100 cal and the apple is actually negative cal because it requires more calories to digest it than it gives you in the first place. Should give you ample energy til dinner. If you're feeling drained, add half a cup of almonds.

ooh...that sounds brutal...I doubt that would be enough food for me, but Ill give it a shot.

• Members

View Post

So you're not gonna move up a weightclass? You're staying put? cop.gif how come?

You're gonna gain serious business on that Mexico trip, all inclusive; you have no chance lol

You're just cutting water though, right? Because that's easier and faster (as you surely know much better than I)

Staying at feather at least until worlds (in June) because if I go up, I will be at the bottom of the barrel for the bigger guys and not fully using my size at that point. I leave next Thursday, and I plan on being at my competing weight by then. I know I will put on at least 5 lbs but potentially close to 10 since I have been prepping like this. I will be able to burn 5lbs of fat when I get back in the 10 days needed, and 5lbs of water won't be an issue 2 days before

• Members

View Post

I figure Ill lose a bit of muscle in the process, but Id like to lose as little as possible. The only problem I have with loading up on more meat is that I simply cant afford to buy enough meat to fill me up icon_lol.gif My body require MASSIVE amounts of food to make me not feel hungry. I just ate about a pound and a half of chicken and veggies about 2 hours ago and I feel like I havent eaten all {censored}ing day frown.gif

I am the same as you: I need a ton of food to fill myself up. Breakfast is fine because I can load up on oats, but I've been taking psyllium husk before dinner for a few years to try to fill myself up before dinner. I'll do a scoop of psyllium husk followed by two big glasses of water about 30 minutes before dinner. It definitely results in me eating less at dinner time. Plus I throw some mean {censored}s.

• Members

View Post

Try cutting ALL carbs out and only get good fats (like fat from walnuts)

If it comes in a package or wrapper, don't eat it (obviously red meat comes in a package, I'm talking snacks, crackers, mcdonalds, etc)

its literally damn near IMPOSSIBLE to cut carbs completely unless you're training for a competition and are trying to get from 5% down to 2% BF. if you take ~50-70% of your daily carbs in when you first wake up, you'll be fine. besides, your body does need SOME carbs or else your diet will make you crash extremely hard and your strength gains will suck because your glycogen tanks will be empty (necessary for muscle growth and function). a good cardio regimen combined with high intensity weight lifting split will do wonders, even if you only go 4x a week.

with that being said, the standard daily allowance of carbs for a 2000 calorie diet is 300g carbs per day. i'd reduce that down to no more than 125-150g a day along with a high protein intake (~1.5g per lb of bodyweight/day). a good multivitamin. I take Opti-Men which is pretty much the best one you can get.

EDIT: do your cardio and/or lifting BEFORE your first meal of the day though while your body is still running off of it's fat stores and hasn't had any carbs put in it yet. This trains your body to burn fat instead of carbs.

• Members

Im definitely under 100g carbs per day. My maintenance calories is 3000 cal per day, and Ive been eating between 2000-2500 per day. My protein intake is around 150-175g per day, and Im 230 pounds...so I could afford to increase that, I guess. I always lift and do cardio before I eat. I eat and have a protein shake when I get home after my workout.

• Members

View Post

My body require MASSIVE amounts of food to make me not feel hungry. I just ate about a pound and a half of chicken and veggies about 2 hours ago and I feel like I havent eaten all {censored}ing day frown.gif

The hunger thing is something you'll have to suffer through for a bit if you want to lose. My appetite is big time too, but I'm coming up to a 50 pound weight loss after a few more pounds. First I fixed what, then how much, then how often. Chicken is pretty cheap. One trick is, don't use any salt. It makes food less appetizing and you'll eat less of it. You'll drop water weight, too. No salt takes a while to get used to, but it works. If you get hungry, for a snack you can eat non-salted peanuts in the shell followed by a small cup of low or non-fat milk. NO sodium in the peanuts according to the package labeling and the milk will make you feel full.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by rugbyguitargod

View Post

oh, almost forgot... 8 hours of steady sleep!!! just as important, if not more, than your diet!!

Thats typically not a problem...past couple weeks, though, Ive had trouble falling asleep.

• Members

I am definitely down with the fitness. I run 6 days a week, 3 of which are barefoot (Merrell Trail Glove) and consist of 1 25-30 minute tempo run, 1 45 minute slow run, and 1 20 minute fartlek.

3 days on street in normal shoes I do the same thing, except a bit longer (add 5-10 minutes for each).

As far as working out goes, I am as strong and as big as I'd like to be, so I don't do much heavy lifting. Mainly dips, pushups, pullups, some yoga stuff, just to keep my 6-8 pack visible and my arms/upper body toned.

• Members

I just got back into working out 2 weeks ago.

New job, new location, time for a new outlook on life and all that {censored}.

The last time I was hardcore into working out was about 6-7 years ago...and I've worked out maybe a dozen times since then.

So here's a question:

The first week, I absolutely kicked my ass. I worked out a little too hard, and I definitely felt it. I was sore for 3-4 days after each session in whichever group I was working. The second week just ended, and even though I worked harder, I wasn't sore at all. I feel like I never went to the gym in the first place, even though I worked out a good 20% harder than the first week. I really felt like I was pushing myself when I was working out, but the next day there was nothing.

I never really felt this way when I was serious about fitness - my workouts were either too easy, so I upped the intensity, or they weren't, and I felt sore afterwards.

How do I make sure that I'm actually working my muscles instead of just burning energy?

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Sixtonoize

View Post

I just got back into working out 2 weeks ago.

New job, new location, time for a new outlook on life and all that {censored}.

The last time I was hardcore into working out was about 6-7 years ago...and I've worked out maybe a dozen times since then.

So here's a question:

The first week, I absolutely kicked my ass. I worked out a little too hard, and I definitely felt it. I was sore for 3-4 days after each session in whichever group I was working. The second week just ended, and even though I worked harder, I wasn't sore at all. I feel like I never went to the gym in the first place, even though I worked out a good 20% harder than the first week. I really felt like I was pushing myself when I was working out, but the next day there was nothing.

I never really felt this way when I was serious about fitness - my workouts were either too easy, so I upped the intensity, or they weren't, and I felt sore afterwards.

How do I make sure that I'm actually working my muscles instead of just burning energy?

well honestly I think you should've felt it if it was only your second workout, but it is somewhat common for people to not get the DOMS after working out for a while, and I've read quite a few times taht you can't judge progress and workouts by DOMS. I usually always feel it, so I've never been paranoid... but there are definitely days where it is more obvious than others. I wouldn't worry about it unless you stop making gains/progress. my .02

• Members

View Post

I work out like a maniac, I'm never sore, ever.

I guess your muscles just get used to being flexed and stressed?

just curious, when you say you're never sore- you mean you literally can't tell you worked your muscles(whatever group it may have been a day prior) at all? or that you're not sore?

Archived