The Engl Thread

LIAR-502

• Replies 415
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Originally posted by troublehead

I have owned the Thunder and Screamer. The Thunder is definately not what I would call a "metal" amp.

I own a Thunder combo and I haven't played with PB or FB (I'm new to Engl amps) but I think that it has nice higain sound.

http://www.xn--rhren-amps-ecb.de/recources/engldemo.mp3 -- here is a little example (Thunder head + Diezel 4x12"), I found it in some other topic

Maybe it isn't the amp with enormous gain, but I think it's ok even for new hi-gain stuff.

I have absolutely no idea about classical rock Thunder 50 sound, you're just kidding, right? :D

• Members

Originally posted by Everlone

I used to own a Blackmore, but now I'm looking into the Thunder heads.

How does a Thunder compare to a Blackmore? Less gain? How is the clean tone? Are Thunders more "orgainic" than other Engls?

I actually like the Blackmore than the Thunder but, didn't want to spend alot of money on amps but look at me now I just got an Orange Rockerverb 50.....never thought I end up spending this much for an amp but I must admit I couldn't be happier.

• Members

Originally posted by porph

my leds lost colour after about 6-7 months. Ive also discovered recently that having the channel turned down to like 1-2 and then turning up the master sounds sooo much better than vice versa!

Mine were faded when I got the amp (it had been in the store for around 18 months, although I did get it for 33% off retail).

I bought some clear red paint from a model shop (hobby shop). I just painted over the red led's. It's been about 4 weeks now and they're still glowing a brilliant deep red colour as opposed to the more natural (whitie with a tinge of red) colour. Looks great.

I also stuck a small strip of alluminium foil behind the 2 Power tubes which reflects the LED light even more (got the idea from the Cobra but only used a very small, thumb size strip). Kick ass.

• Members
Originally posted by Dave_Mc_2

do you use that in your loop? kills amp noise dead? (still haven't ordered mine!
:freak:
)

:thu:

No I put it in front of my guitar/wah.

It kills the feedback and most of the noise but you still hear that tube amp hush through the amp. If I had another one and put it through the loop (or the 2 channell rack unit) it would also kill this noise. This doesn't really bother me though. A little bit of noise is normal imo.

It totally killed the feedback/noise I was getting that bothered me during practice sessions. It doesn't affect the tone AT ALL. Simply amazing.

GET ONE!!!

• Members

Originally posted by Bradman006

It kills the feedback and most of the noise but you still hear that tube amp hush through the amp. If I had another one and put it through the loop (or the 2 channell rack unit) it would also kill this noise. This doesn't really bother me though. A little bit of noise is normal imo.

It totally killed the feedback/noise I was getting that bothered me during practice sessions. It doesn't affect the tone AT ALL. Simply amazing.

GET ONE!!!

put it in the loop as last pedal, it does a better job

• Members
Originally posted by Bradman006

GET ONE!!!

thanks, brad :thu:

i'd probably put it in the loop, because i like being able to get controlled feedback- i suppose, if i were playing at band volumes, though, uncontrollable feedback might be more of a problem...

:thu:

Archived