The Engl Thread

LIAR-502

• Replies 415
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I have an SE wirth EL34's in the poweramp, I think currently that is teh only ENGL with EL34's, well theres the Blackmore which has a limited edition model called the slowhand motion or something like that, that also has EL34's.

• Members

Originally posted by gerrekat

I have an SE wirth EL34's in the poweramp, I think currently that is teh only ENGL with EL34's, well theres the Blackmore which has a limited edition model called the slowhand motion or something like that, that also has EL34's.

Yes you are correct Hans except that the El34 Blackmore model was called the Fast Hand Motion(Bwahahaha) and the 6L6 was the Slow Hand Motion. The next EL34 Engl will be the Invader and should start shipping next month !!!

Derek:cool:

• Members
Originally posted by SCLlama

Old pic...

Rig.jpg

Since then I've sold the Cobra and the Powerball is in a Head/Rack roadcase.

sweet rig dude. Pretty similar to mine in some ways though ive sold the g major now.

• 7 months later...
  • Members

I think we should call it "Engl Haus",which is very hospitable and inviting.

Being very new to engls, having recently aquired an Invader150 (from D. B.) I'm only just beginning to explore the variety of tones this monster!! I've been a Mesa endorse for over eighteen years(mkIII's) and this amp appears to be one of the most flexable heads that I've seen in years!! If anyone has some setting suggestions, I'd really appreciate any info provided about this amp.I'm using it quite often live and recording my record with it, along with a MkIII simulclass, so any input would be duly utilized. The Invader has replaced the mkIII as my main amp, but only because of the engls channel switching facility. ....... I need brutal tones and screaming leads ,thanks, S.O.A. :wave:

myspace.com/rainofkings

cliffstcroix@yahoo.com

• Members

hi guys, i hope i will find a new amp soon!

i play power/prog metal and hard rock, my ideal sound would be something similar to the one John Petrucci has on Scenes from a Memory or Train of Thought.. I particularly like the high definition of rhythm and the tone he gets on solos (obviously the greatest part is done by his hands!)...

My idea was to try the engl screamer and the powerball; do you think it will be a good choice? do you have any other suggestion?

I would like to play with no distortion or boost pedal... is that possible?

• Members
hi guys, i hope i will find a new amp soon!

i play power/prog metal and hard rock, my ideal sound would be something similar to the one John Petrucci has on Scenes from a Memory or Train of Thought.. I particularly like the high definition of rhythm and the tone he gets on solos (obviously the greatest part is done by his hands!)...

My idea was to try the engl screamer and the powerball; do you think it will be a good choice? do you have any other suggestion?

I would like to play with no distortion or boost pedal... is that possible?

Yeah ENGL's have plenty of gain without any pedals. The Powerball is an awesome amp. Very flexible and very aggressive and tight.

Also the Blackmore is a great amp and a little less expensive than the Powerball but just as awesome.:thu:

• Members

^ haven't tried the thunder unfortunately.

^^ yeah, I'd have thought the savage would have been pretty good for those tones too, though it's a bit more.

Basically, the powerball is the one you want to go for if you play mainly modern metal, but want a bit of versatility. savage is kind of for equal parts modern metal and equal parts hard rock. Blackmore is kind of like a more stripped-down, slightly more open sounding, savage.

Of course, they all kind of have their own tone, and everyone seems to have a different model as their own particular favourite...

:thu:

• Members

Does anyone know what's up with engls user forum ? I've checked their website a number of times over the last two months and the only thing I see is " sorry, the forum is not available at this time ", what gives ? Derek, perhaps you know what's going on here, care to chime in. S.O.A.

myspace.com/rainofkings................:rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

soo question:

im either looking into an ENGL amp or FRAMUS COBRA. i want fast attack and like sharp palm mutes with sick pinch harmonics (like killswitch engage). if you know how i want my tone, tell me if i should get the invader, powerball, savage, ritchie blackmore or framus cobra. thanks!

• Members

soo question:

im either looking into an ENGL amp or FRAMUS COBRA. i want fast attack and like sharp palm mutes with sick pinch harmonics (like killswitch engage). if you know how i want my tone, tell me if i should get the invader, powerball, savage, ritchie blackmore or framus cobra. thanks!

I saw them live a year or so ago when they went on tour with In Flames and when they were on stage, there was a Mesa Rectifier and a Framus amp on stage with them. Based on this, I'd imagine you'd get closer to the KSE sound with a Framus.

• Members

i haven't tried the cobra, i hear great things though. I'd imagine that'd get you where you want to go.

Though, it's worth bearing in mind that the tones on the end of heartache album are frequently a framus dragon/cobra doubled with a 5150, and back in the day they've used rectos (and more recently, H&K and soldano, so I hear).

I do know that engl will do that tone pretty much straight out of the box- powerball, savage (based on my savage se doing it, i haven't actually tried the non-se savage), blackmore should all do it, more or less. I haven't tried the invader. they all do sound slightly different, the powerball has the most gain out of those, followed by savage (se), then blackmore.

it's best if you can try them, at the end of the day, it's pretty much personal preference.

Archived