The Engl Thread

LIAR-502

• Replies 415
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Originally posted by TheGreatGreen

hal9000, i like the look of those front panels. it got me thinking, too. i like the blue LED for the cleen channel of the Powerball. would it be possible to change out one or two LED's from the front panel of an actual ENGL?

Thanks!

Unfortunately, I can't really answer the question until I know how your amp is constructed, but in general electrically YES it is possible.

Physically:

If the front panel and all controls are mounted to a PC board, then the change may not be worth the time investment. You would likely have to remove every single knob to pull the front panel PCB off.

If the LEDs are mounted to the front panel and attached to the PCB with flying leads, then the physical change should be straight forward.

Electrically:

Different LED types and colors require differing bias to light them to consistent luminosity. So, in general, you will likely have to change the LED and the resistor used to bias it to get a satisfactory result. Some LEDs have the resistor built-in BTW.

I can tell you how to figure out what you need, I just have to have more information about the construction and the electrical specs.

• Members
Originally posted by chna

Maybe been answered before but what are the major differences of the Engl amps ? or better the main music genre of each amp ?

I think :

thunder :

- great cleans

- bluesy

- rock / classic rock

screamer:

- like the thunder but also

- modern rock/ metal

rbs :

- like the screamer but

- 100w

- more features

fireball :

powerball:

savage:

I was wondering something. Is there any way to recreate that sort of distortion you get with the Powerball on the screamer with an extra pedal?
The reason is because I've got a bit tight budget, got loads of pedals (SD-1, DS-1 and Pearl OD-05) and I was wondering if the screamer could reach the same sound as the powerball with that extra bit of pedal help.

• Members
Originally posted by ArrMatey

I was wondering something. Is there any way to recreate that sort of distortion you get with the Powerball on the screamer with an extra pedal?

The reason is because I've got a bit tight budget, got loads of pedals (SD-1, DS-1 and Pearl OD-05) and I was wondering if the screamer could reach the same sound as the powerball with that extra bit of pedal help.

Thanks
:cool:

ENGL made a tube driven pedal if im not mistaken. Not sure of the name of it. Saw it on ebay once. Perhaps that would do the pb sound?

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

Hey guys, looking to get a ENGL amp here pretty soon. Was looking at the E530 preamp first. But to alleviate me having to buy the E530 and a poweramp, I was thinking about getting a Fireball. My question about the Fireball is that in the pictures it looks like it only has one set of EQ knobs. Does this mean both channels must be EQ'ed the same? So when switching from super clean to super dirty, it'll have the same EQ? To me that doesn't make much sense if that's the case.

Matt

• Members

originally posted by untitledblinkfa

Hey guys, looking to get a ENGL amp here pretty soon. Was looking at the E530 preamp first. But to alleviate me having to buy the E530 and a poweramp, I was thinking about getting a Fireball. My question about the Fireball is that in the pictures it looks like it only has one set of EQ knobs. Does this mean both channels must be EQ'ed the same? So when switching from super clean to super dirty, it'll have the same EQ? To me that doesn't make much sense if that's the case.

Matt

It has 2 channels and only 1 set of EQ's and 1 volume. Most people say if you leave the gain on 5 then you can get very heavy tones, and still be able to switch to straight cleans.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members
dscf03853il.th.jpg

dscf03908fi.th.jpg

I'm a {censored}ty photographer, and everything iis crammed into a corner of my room cause we have nowhere else in my house that'd suit it...

But it {censored}s all over everything I've ever played besides it. (Marshall MG cab yeah, but eh...) I've A/B'd it with a 6505+, a Randall RH100, and hell even a few SS combo amps (Crate/Line6/Fender...line6 is modeling i know but you get it >_>) and it destroyed them all.

• Members

Originally posted by porph

nice. What speakers you got in the h&k cab?

The straight cabinet has still the original speaker: Celestion V12 100W.

For the slant cabinet I bought two Eminence V12 which are rather equal with the Celestions.

Archived