The Engl Thread

LIAR-502

• Replies 415
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Can anyone of you guys give me some info on the Engl Screamer combo?

Would that combo be versatile, so it could be used for Jazz (with a hollowbody jazzguitar) and Metal and everything in between?

So, basically, does it have: a good clean sound that stays clean even at high volumes (if channel volume and gain are set accordingly) even if strings are hit harder, good crunch sound for blues/classic rock, and good high-gain sound for Metal?

At this point I'm considering a Mesa F-50, but I read about the Engl Screamer and I was wondering if that amp could compete with the Mesa F-50 in terms of versatility?!
Prices for Engl amps are much better over here than prices for Mesas, of course....

• Members

I would pick Mesa F-50 over Screamer. Haven't played F-50 myself though, but from what I have heard, it smokes Screamer for lower gain sounds, and has a better crunch. Don't know how the metal sounds compare, but I found Screamer metal tone a bit lacking. A bit weak and thin, and not enough gain. Basically it's still voiced like a metal amp, so don't expect any smooth and warm crunch from it.

• Members

How does that Bogner cab sound with the Powerball? I have a Powerball and a Hughes&Kettner CC412A30 cab. Want something with more bottom end.

Thanks.

WHAT? I have a H&K CC412A30 and it has an insane low end. Shakes the whole room with my Invader. When I first tried it with a 5150, my inital reaction was "Holy {censored}, this thing has some serious bottom end!" as it rearranged my guts...

• Members

I would pick Mesa F-50 over Screamer. Haven't played F-50 myself though, but from what I have heard, it smokes Screamer for lower gain sounds, and has a better crunch. Don't know how the metal sounds compare, but I found Screamer metal tone a bit lacking. A bit weak and thin, and not enough gain. Basically it's still voiced like a metal amp, so don't expect any smooth and warm crunch from it.

i'd say the screamer smokes the f50 for versatility, and i have tried both. EDIT: the screamer's non-metal tones sound a lot less metal than the f-series, IMO. I agree that i wouldn't pick the screamer for solely metal, but then i doubt anyone would pick an f-series for solely metal either.

• Members

WHAT? I have a H&K CC412A30 and it has an insane low end. Shakes the whole room with my Invader. When I first tried it with a 5150, my inital reaction was "Holy {censored}, this thing has some serious bottom end!" as it rearranged my guts...

I'm not complaining about my H&K cab, it definitely kicks ass. Just looking to try some different cabs. My selection at the local music store is limited. So before I go and have them order a few different cabs to try, I want to be sure which ones.

What settings are you using on your Invader?

Thanks.

• Members

if i were to get an ENGL for metal...would the powerball, invader, savage se or blackmore do me well? i like having fast response attack and killer pinch harmonics. thanks!

yep, they all do metal. they're just a little different from each other

• Members
if i were to get an ENGL for metal...would the powerball, invader, savage se or blackmore do me well? i like having fast response attack and killer pinch harmonics. thanks!

i have a savage se, and I'd say it's kind of the one to go for if you want versatility, but still the ability to get modern metal. blackmore is similar, but stripped down, and a little more vintage and open-sounding.

powerball is more out-and-out metal.

haven't tried the invader.

of course, it depends what you mean by metal, and personal preference etc. :thu:

• 6 years later...

Archived