I don't know what it is...

duncan

• Members

I played a show in gainesville back in may and the band before us rolled up on stage with a squier and a 6505+ 112 combo on one side, and a carvin and a splawn nitro with an ENGL 412 on the other side haha. Ill never forget that mismatch of hilarity lol. Ill also never forget the other guitarist in my band trying to lift the ENGL cab and failing lol. Turned out they sounded pretty good and the dude with the splawn and carvin was a pretty decent guitar player. When youre micing everything anyway, it really doesnt matter lol.

I only ever played the mako and my ninja live. I got comments every single show about how great I sounded, how great my stage presence was, people asking about the mako, a couple of offers to buy the ninja, and people telling me I stole the show. Then I asked to rejoin the band last month, and the guitar player went off on this tirade about how he basically hates me lol.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

there used to be a website devoted to terrible band photos. I learned that standing in front of a brick wall is not only uncool, but also incredibly overdone. So when I see a pic of a band that does that...I immediately think they're amatuers. When it comes to seeing gear on stage I used to think "man, I have better gear than them, they must blow"...nowadays I think "Damn, I spent so much time chasing gear/tone I never actually got out and played. This guy's using a line6 and a crate guitar, sounds terrible, but I can't knock it too much because he's the one on stage...meh"

edit: found the website

http://www.rockandrollconfidential.c...php?dd_keyid=1

• Moderators
Quote Originally Posted by BrendanO View Post
I feel the same way about Epiphone SGs and LPs. Epi SG, I brace for suck. Epi LP, and I'm like "Oh, well, certainly they'd have a Gibson LP if they had the money. Wonder how they sound?"
I have an Epi LP. frown.gif

It has a lot of emotional attachment for me, but if I had the dough, I'd also have a Gibson LP as well.

And Aliens.

• Members

yeah i see most of the Squier Strats and import Jacksons thru like a Line 6 112 combo and pretty much brace for the sonic raep that's coming. i'm usually always right. it's sad bc sometimes you have the 2nd guitard with a much nicer rig than the singer yet he's buried just like the bass so all you hear is SS bees... the last show we had the 2nd/lead player had a NICE Custom 22 in trans burgundy through an AC30 combo and yeah he basically wasn't even in the mix. stupid. singer had a made at home strat through some sorta Line 6 head and 212 cab. awful racket.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by NinjaRaf

View Post

I only ever played the mako and my ninja live. I got comments every single show about how great I sounded, how great my stage presence was, people asking about the mako, a couple of offers to buy the ninja, and people telling me I stole the show. Then I asked to rejoin the band last month, and the guitar player went off on this tirade about how he basically hates me lol.

DAFUQ, is that so? I'll remove them on my facebook then.

• Members

I'm way worse at judging by how the actual band looks vs what gear they have..

Plaid shirts/tighter jeans than my girl/trendy haircut = Hipster doofus - It doesn't even matter if they sound "good"..I pretty much can't stand these people.

T-shirts/Jeans - Bro's/Down to earth, Spiked hair/leather - Wannabe 80's wankers, etc..

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Jhideout View Post
I'm way worse at judging by how the actual band looks vs what gear they have..

Plaid shirts/tighter jeans than my girl/trendy haircut = Hipster doofus - It doesn't even matter if they sound "good"..I pretty much can't stand these people.

T-shirts/Jeans - Bro's/Down to earth, Spiked hair/leather - Wannabe 80's wankers, etc..
what about the guys that look like they should be in a KISS tribute band?

• 11 months later...
  • Members

Kevman wrote:

the more unassuming the gear is the better the chance to hear good playing.

Hmm...I disagree. I think you have an equal chance. Heard great playing from "assumming" gear jusrt as much as I've hear sh!tty playing from artsy fartsy gear.

I think best thing to do is let the music speak for itself gear be damned.

Archived