What're some awesome songs to learn??

caseykey118

• Members

I'm just learning acoustic guitar...... ive been a electric guitar player for around 6 years and am buying an acoustic to go to college with (more chicks with an acoustic lol). Being an electric player i've become dilluted with power cords and snappy shredder type riffs..... pulling these off on acoustic is to me like walking a tightrope. What are some great songs to learn on acoustic??? name off your favorite fingerpicking/ strumming or whatever songs to play..... if they're to tough.... i'll move on. Thanks everything..... acoustic rocks!!!

• Members

Sounds like you're in it for the wrong reasons... but, if you want the chicks, and can sing, they all love "You and Me" by lifehouse. Something about that song gets 'em all riled up. ;)

I guess you just want to know some modern pop stuff to put tears in their eyes, so there's not much I can tell you other than listen to the radio and do chord searches...

• Members

I get the best compliments when I play "Here Without You" by 3 Doors Down, "Picture" by Kid Rock and Sheryl Crow (you have to change the lyrics if you want to sing both parts and not sound fruity) and "Turn the Page" by The Steve Miller Band. My wife also likes "Always On My Mind" by Willie Nelson even though she's not much of a country fan.

You'll probably laugh if you remember where this guy got famous (a short stint on 90210) but I actually liked some of his music. His name is Jamie Walters (Ray Pruit on the show) I can't stand his voice sometimes, its kind of the "pretty boy" type whispery voice, but I like his simple style of strumming and mixing in little riffs. Chicks dig the songs even if they don't remember where they heard them. Look up "Hold On" and "How Do You Talk to an Angel"....plus he played a sweet sunburst J200 on the show, he can't be all bad.

• Members

OK, here's my conquest list from college. WARNING: some tunes are dated:

Wish You Were Here - Pink Floyd

Tears in Heaven - Eric Clapton

More Than Words - Extreme

Patience - Guns n' Roses

Baby I Love Your Way - Peter Frampton

All I Want is You - U2

Dream On - Aerosmith

Black - Pearl Jam

• Members

A couple of simple, "sensitive" fingerpickers:

Freight Train: Elizabeth Cotten

Dust in the Wind: Kansas

Blackbird: The Beatles

Also Beaumont Rag and House of the Rising Sun can be pretty fun.....(and sound good either flat or finger picked)

Cheers,

Matt.

• Members

Originally posted by Misha

White Lion - When the children cry

Oooh, you're taking a big risk there!

;)

I used to play a lot of White Lion back in the day. I found Vito Bratta's style to be very melodic albeit a derivative of Eddie Van Halen's who seemed to follow the yellow book method or "let your fingers do the comopsing." :o

• Members

As a "chick" myself, I just thought I'd inform you that you'll probably have more luck impressing high school girls.

Unless you can be godly on a guitar, which most people cannot, most girls will just think your a loser. My ex played acoustic and electric and sucked at both and yet still thought he was the hottest thing in the world. Well so has every guy I've met who thinks they can play the guitar.

If you want to learn to be good, try going to see live blues and jazz musicians...folk too. Watching them play should give you an idea of what is out there to learn.

• Members

Originally posted by MurderbyDeath

As a "chick" myself, I just thought I'd inform you that you'll probably have more luck impressing high school girls.

Unless you can be godly on a guitar, which most people cannot, most girls will just think your a loser. My ex played acoustic and electric and sucked at both and yet still thought he was the hottest thing in the world. Well so has every guy I've met who thinks they can play the guitar.

If you want to learn to be good, try going to see live blues and jazz musicians...folk too. Watching them play should give you an idea of what is out there to learn.

"That's what I love about these high school girls, man. I get older, they stay the same age."

Actually I'll have to disagree with you. Most people don't know the difference between a really good player and an average player. Musicians and people really into music do, but the average person hasn't a clue. Most people are pretty impressed if you can strum and sing a few simple songs.

• Members

If you want to play acoustic guitar learn to love the instrument, it's sound, and it's music. If you want to meet girls, introduce yourself, be genuine, and start a conversation. Remember no one wants to be "picked up". Groupies are annoying at best.:idea:

• Members

Originally posted by theGOOCH

"That's what I love about these high school girls, man. I get older, they stay the same age."

Actually I'll have to disagree with you. Most people don't know the difference between a really good player and an average player. Musicians and people really into music do, but the average person hasn't a clue. Most people are pretty impressed if you can strum and sing a few simple songs.

I agree 100%.

Some guitar players turn guitar playing into a competitive sport. It's just music, there are no winners or losers.

Guitarists are the worst critics out there. No matter how good someone plays a tune there will always be a bunch of arrogant pricks in the audience that think they could do it better.

Ignore the assholes and keep playing.

• Members

I've been having some fun lately learning some Dave Matthews stuff. really easier than I thought at first. I have learned a decent version of "What would You say"

If you want mushy stuff, I always had good luck with Dan Fogelberg:

"Longer"

"Scarecrow's Dream"

"Dancin' Shoes"

Also Croce

"Time In A Bottle" (I am embarrassed to admit)

"Operator"

Also James Taylor

"Fire And Rain"

"Something In the Way She Moves"

"Carolina In My Mind"

Anyway, these will work

RT:cool:

• Members

Originally posted by theGOOCH

This is true. And I think, as a girl, that I can point out that most girls think its great if a guy plays guitar and enjoys doing it. The 1 in 35 chance you've got a girl that plays guitar is going to be more picky, but I wouldn't sweat it. As long as you're having fun.

Ellen

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

Originally posted by Melorock

write your own songs.

chicks dig it when they have songs written for them

years ago, half kiddingly, I told a friend who was trying to write a song for his girlfriend to relax, that it didn't have to be that good and she would be ecstatic.

He tought for a moment and replied, "Yeah, I guess all I really got to do is say her name, say she's beautiful, and say I wanna bang the snot out of her."

I never did get to here that song.

• Members

Originally posted by Melorock

write your own songs...chicks dig it when they have songs written for them

This is certifiably true. My most recent song has a verse that mentions my wife by name in one verse. That verse is pretty hot, lyrically. She loved it when I played it at open mike this past Sunday. Loved it.

It's also quite true that neither men nor women who are not guitarists really differentiate beween an adequate player and a great player. I know this because I have had people tell me that they think I'm a really good player, and I'm actually adequate at best.

Finally, write your own songs because no matter how you play, there's no original to compare you with! Songwriting is the salvation of the mediocre guitarist! But sing them with conviction, and not with your eyes closed. Works every time, long as you can remember your lyrics!

Archived