I finally got a real guitar

dhoenisch

• Members

I wasn't going to post this, but after last night, I decided that I just can't help it.

On Sunday, I went to Guitar Center to play with some guitars, now that I had finally saved up enough money. I tried every solid wood guitar I could up to $1200. I finally decided to go with the Martin D-15 Custom, or whatever they call it, with the mahogany back and sides, and spruce top. Out of all the guitars they had there, this one just spoke to me. I mean, I tried the D16GT, all of the Epiphone Mastertones, some Tak's, other Martins, etc, and this one just blew all of the others out of the water, including other guitars just like her. I feel that it's a perfect guitar for Bluegrass music. Now, I didn't strike a very good deal, but that guitar and case, along with some strings came out to $875 out the door. Again, not my best haggling, but I wasn't in the mood to haggle on Sunday. I just wanted my REAL guitar.

I had been playing off of a Squier SD-6G Dread for four years, and now that I am taking lessons to play bluegrass flatpicking solos, that guitar just was not cutting it. No real bass to speak of, and no volume. I carved a compensated bone saddle for it, and even installed brass bridge pins, and though it did help with the volume some, it wasn't enough.

Anyhow, I've been playing the Martin since I got it home, less the time spent at work, and I just can't seem to put it down. Last night, when I decided to mention this is because I played it until my finger tips were raw, and played it some more. Got to bed late and everything.

Man, what a difference a GOOD guitar makes.

Anyhow, just thought I'd share with you all. I'm sure others have had the same type of feeling.

Dan

• Members

Congratulations. What a good feeling. I don't have an all solid guitar like your D-15, but I still get that good feeling when I play my solid top guitars. Day to day I grab by beater for casual play. But whenever I'm about to go out to an open mic or something, and I grab the Tayor or Martin to practice, all it takes is that first strum to ignite that feeling. It's great to have a guitar you really like.

I love my D12X1 and was concerned with its longevity, so I asked a question about downtuning 12 strings on this forum and decided to tune it down 2 half steps. But the next time I pulled it out it just wasn't the same. That wasn't the sound that had me smitten when I first found it. I tuned it up 1 half step, and that was better. But I think I'm going to crank it back up where it was, because that's there I continued to get that good feeling, "Ahhh.. what a nice guitar." Same reason I keep medium Elixirs on my Taylor and am reluctant to try anything else. That's the sound that made me say, "I want that one."

Hope your good feeling lingers a long time. I'm guessing it will.

Scott O

• Members

Scott, sorry about thread drift, but the suggested string for your D12X1 is the Martin SP-4600 Extra Light Phosphor Bronze. As long as you use them (or the equivalent) your git should be under warrany and not suffer any damage at concert pitch. I would hesitate using anything heavier, but those should have been what it came with.

• Members

Scott, sorry about thread drift, but the suggested string for your D12X1 is the Martin SP-4600 Extra Light Phosphor Bronze. As long as you use them (or the equivalent) your git should be under warrany and not suffer any damage at concert pitch. I would hesitate using anything heavier, but those should have been what it came with.

Yes, those are the only strings I've used on it. But I bought the guitar a year old off eBay which I thought excluded me from any warranty rights. When I recieved it and looked it over I saw that the top bulged a little at the bridge. I called Martin to asked about that and they said it was normal. I don't think it's changed any in the year or so that I've had it. It sounds ok tuned down, but it's very different. At standard pitch it just has this great sound.

Scott O

• Members

Man, what a difference a GOOD guitar makes.

The thread about percentages implies that great players can make do with crappy guitars, but it doesn't imply that the great players like it.

It's great to make the switch to "real" guitars. Hope it provides you with years of enjoyment!!

Ellen

• Members

Thanks a lot all. Yeah, I'm really happy with it. I know Martins aren't for everyone, but this one had the sound I was looking for, so it's definately for me.

Anyhow, seeing as how a picture is in order, here she is

MyNewMartin.jpg

Yeah, it's plain, but I don't care. In fact, I like that there is nothing to get in the way. I purchased it for the sound alone, and this is what I got.

What I can't believe is, the top and back are both one piece. I mean, some really expensive guitars are usually two piece. Maybe that's why this one had the tone I was looking for? I also can't believe that the fret board markers are mother of pearl. I figured that with this being Martin's "budget" solid wood guitar, they would have just installed plastic. Also, the saddle is tusq, and the nut is bone. I thought Martin used tusq for both.

Anyhow, she's mine, and I'm very hapy with her. It sure beats the one I was playing, which is currently Craig's Listed.

Squier.jpg

It wasn't a bad guitar, but just wasn't for me. Not much bass at all, but it did have a pleasant sound. Kind of mellow, but slightly bright. Not very loud. It was good for strumming along with singing. I'm a Bluegrass flatpicker, or working on being a bluegrass flatpicker, so this Martin was for me.

Dan

• Members

Thanks a lot all. Yeah, I'm really happy with it. I know Martins aren't for everyone, but this one had the sound I was looking for, so it's definately for me. ...

Yeah, it's plain, but I don't care. In fact, I like that there is nothing to get in the way. I purchased it for the sound alone, and this is what I got.

... It sure beats the one I was playing, which is currently Craig's Listed....

Dan

I myself like the plain look. I bought every one of my solid tops based on sound and playability (within my price range). I feel I was lucky that they also happen to fit my aesthetic preference as well.

Looks like you made a big step up. When I bought my 110, I had been playing a scratched up beat up pawn shop Yamaha with a cracked neck. I was getting into the open mic groove, and the Yammie was being painful. It's still hanging in the pawn shop I sold it to. I go in about once a year to look at it. But now I know enough to be able to say, "that guitar needs a neck reset."

Scott O

• Members
Thanks a lot all. Yeah, I'm really happy with it. I know Martins aren't for everyone, but this one had the sound I was looking for, so it's definately for me.

MyNewMartin.jpg

Yeah, it's plain, but I don't care
. In fact, I like that there is nothing to get in the way. I purchased it for the sound alone, and this is what I got.

Dan

Plain? Nah, that's understated elegance, congrats Dan.

Trina :)

• Members

Congratulations! Looks good to me. I appreciate simple beauty :)

I wonder how this D-15 custom compares to a Martin DM. Similar price and materials. The tone of a good DM rivals the more expensive Martins in my experience. YMMV....

I suppose this guitar would be a bit brighter than a D-15 hog top. I'll bet there is a nice growl in the bottom end.

• Members

I'll bet there is a nice growl in the bottom end.

Oh, there sure is!

Thanks again for all the "attaboys." Sure makes me feel even better to have spent the money on this guitar, not that the guitar itself didn't already make me feel good about the purchase.

Dan

• Members

honeymoon:love:

Congratulations

Oh, there sure is!

Thanks again for all the "attaboys." Sure makes me feel even better to have spent the money on this guitar, not that the guitar itself didn't already make me feel good about the purchase.

Dan

• Members

MyNewMartin.jpg

What I can't believe is, the top and back are both one piece. I mean, some really expensive guitars are usually two piece. Maybe that's why this one had the tone I was looking for? I also can't believe that the fret board markers are mother of pearl. I figured that with this being Martin's "budget" solid wood guitar, they would have just installed plastic. Also, the saddle is tusq, and the nut is bone. I thought Martin used tusq for both.

Dan

That is one beautiful "plain" guitar. You made the right decision :thu:

Congrats!

OGP

Archived