C'mon, tell me about your nylon string guitars

flip333

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I had never even thought about getting one until I started listening to Leonard Cohen. I scoured Ebay for a while and found a B-stock Walden N560 for $85. I jumped on it. I loved it from the first strum and I am actually studying classical guitar now, but I love playing folk tunes with it. It's also the best playig guitar I own. And now I'm trying to get into the brazillian stuff that Stack posts all the time. IMO, Nylon strings are the best sounding guitars.

100_1879.jpg

100_1883.jpg

• Members

I had never even thought about getting one until I started listening to Leonard Cohen.

Leonard Cohen give me GAs for a nylon string.

I own a 100$ Kamouraska that I sold to bought a La Patrie Etude with Quantum electronics. If you give me the ultimatum to own only ONE guitar it will probably be a nylon strings.

I also read all Stackabones post to learn more about Bossa nova.

• Members

well dang thats a request for pics if I ever read one, and I love posting oics of my old Yamahas so...for those who`ve already seem em...look away...

I own a lot of these so I`m only going to post a few. On the right is my oldest, mid 50s from what I understand by the 4 digit serial number, the Dynamic series are all solid wood and have fatter necks than the true classicals Yamaha came out with early 60s. They don`t have truss rods but are so fat that none of mine...honestly...have any neck issues. They had a variety of models but most seem to have been maple/spruce...and the maple on some is outstanding. Maple has a bit of a rep as being bright...not these, they do not lack bass, I love em so much that my steel strings have taken a backseat for a while now. I don`t use picks and I find I can control the volume on the Dynamics from very low to very loud. Can`t recommend them enough...

forsaleIII131.jpg

forsaleIII127.jpg

forsaleIII223.jpg

forsaleIII126.jpg

• Members

Mine's only 6 days old, but the love affair continues. I love everything about it, the tone, the feel, the look. It's a Raimundo 128, I posted pics last week but I'll throw one on here just to keep with the theme:

RaimundoNewJanuary2008007.jpg

• Members

I've got a cheap deal on this 1969 Guild mahahogny nylon string guitar a few years back. It has a little crack on the back (with a tiny peace sign scratched into it). It's not the best sounding classical guitar. But it's got a dark mellow tone and lot's of character.

nylonguild.jpg

69guildhole.jpg

• Members

Two summers ago I started considering the possiblities of nylon in non-classical, non-flamenco settings -- NYLONISTAS! Last January, I started considering the possibilities of nylon in gypsy jazz.

My homegirl Tak (C132S). I've had it for around two decades. Forgot about for around a decade and I think it was in my parent's attic (Texas attic). Bridge had melted off, but it still played well. My fav guitar. I hardly ever change the strings on it -- as can be heard on Oh, Dorothy.

Alvarez AC60SC ... my gighorse gut box. UST & Condenser mic. Good git, though I don't like the thick gloss finish. Whatever was recorded with this guitar (no pups, just acoustic and mic'd).

Hofner Sienna Series HAC-400CE ... just a backup for the Alvarez. Got it real cheap with HSC off ebay. Decent sounding git, though it's a bit heavy. I should gig with this one and try putting it through my Fishman Aura Blending Nylon pedal ... I'm sure I can find a good tone with that. Action is a bit high.

Yamaha AEX500 ... one of the coolest instruments I own, an f-hole slimline hollow body nylon with very thin electric neck. UST sounds great on this one. Striking instrument. Fun to play. Nobody can believe it's a nylon. Took a while to find this one ... and a few slipped away before I caught it. Recorded Sip de rum and this jam (avatar for song is stock photo of git).

Aria Sinsonido Travel/Frame Nylon Git ... I gigged with this one for a while and got some very strange looks, but it's a good sounding guitar with a very nice neck. I often take this one to gigs as a backup (and leave the Hofner at home when I have to take a larger PA setup).

Lone Star Requinto ... someone thought they had a small guitar and sold it to me for next-to-nothing. Currently I have it tuned up a 3rd, and I've cranked it a fourth in the past.

Some ukes.

While we're talking Nylon, does everyone tie their strings? I used La Bella Ball end Folk Singers one time and I hated them.

Most of mine are tied, but I'm thinking of converting my 6-hole bridged to 12- or 18-hole ones. Using BridgeBoneBeads on my gighorse gut box. Thinking about adding a set to my homegirl Tak. :)

• Members

I love playing nylon strings.

My first guitar was a classical (BM Espana). The first song I painstakingly learned to fingerpick (from the vinyl which was all we had in those days) was Leonard Cohen's "Sisters of Mercy". I still have the classical which I keep tuned to standard D precisely for playing Mr Cohen's songs (many of which - again painstakingly learned - are played in that tuning).

I also have my nylon strung dreadnaught which I converted a few years ago and play a great deal.

• Members

My Yamaha CG 151c is a sweetheart. I use extra hard tension strings which seems to help with both sustain and harmonics, and to create a more balanced tonal range on this particular guitar. The cedar top produces a wonderfully mellow sound. It wasn't an expensive guitar, but I don't play enough classical to warrant owning a $3k Ramirez.

My favorite axe is a Fender DG20s, made in Korea. I must have gotten damned lucky with such an inexpensive guitar, because it sounds and plays like a D 28. Paid only $275 for the freakin' thing, and I've never been more pleased with a guitar's sound.

• Members

I love playing nylon strings.

My first guitar was a classical (BM Espana). The first song I painstakingly learned to fingerpick (from the vinyl which was all we had in those days) was Leonard Cohen's "Sisters of Mercy". I still have the classical which I keep tuned to standard D precisely for playing Mr Cohen's songs (many of which - again painstakingly learned - are played in that tuning).

I also have my nylon strung dreadnaught which I converted a few years ago and play a great deal.

I keep my classical in D as well. I find it sounds much bassier that way. I'm glad Leonard Cohen has showed up in this thread again. Not only is he a brilliant songwriter, he has an incredible right hand technique. :thu:

• Members

Two summers ago I started considering the possiblities of nylon in non-classical, non-flamenco settings --
NYLONISTAS!

I remember this thread. :thu:

Nice historical review, stackabones.

Edit: I should add Bireli Lagrene to that list of nylonistas, BTW. I'm listening to Galliano's Viaggio right now, and except for the odd track with an archtop, nylon is all he plays. And he plays it well. :thu:

• Members

One of my favorite guitars is a 7/8-sized, all-laminate nylon string guitar (labeled "La Mancha") that I bought while in college for $50 at a music store's summer blowout sale. It was literally covered completely in dust. I bought it on a whim, conditioned the fingerboard (which was bone dry; after dabbing on some mineral oil, the wood bulged so much that it unseated the frets! -- luckily they've stayed put, though), strung it up, and have had it as a "go to" beater ever since.

• Members

I have a Hanika 54PC. A German manufacturer, Hanika only makes classicals, and they do a very good job. I went into the local shop looking for a Takemine, perhaps, or, if I was lucky, a LaPatrie, but the sales guy suggested I try the Hanikas. This has a solid spruce top, solid Indian Rosewood back and sides, maple binding, and ebony fretboard. It is the best nylon string I've ever played. The rosette is very interesting: When you move the guitar a little, the light rectangles go dark, and the dark go light.

Very psychedelic!

Cheers,

Glenn

hanna19706bs0.th.jpg

• Members

I never used to like nylons but i really got into them out of nowhere & it just hit me that they and their sound are what 'guitar' is all about.

the main one of mine now is this guitar i got dirt cheap secondhand & fixed up.

it has a lovely sound. its like it was made for me and a destiny made me find it, sitting in a shop damaged and unwanted & in need of playing :D

Archived