any of y'all use "non standard" strings?

jjpistols

• Members

sittin here playin slide and wondering what flatwounds would sound like

or electric strings

saw brass strings for sale on WWBW.com

made me wonder how many acoustic guitars are strung with something other than bronze strings (or gut), or in gauges other than 12 or 13

• Members

All I know is that flatwounds are really awesome for about 10 minutes.

They are a blast but you start missing roundwounds really badly.

I agree. Once you get over the sensation of your fingers on them, you realize how much you miss the tone of roundwounds.

• Members

Nope, I dont even know what that is, though I think I can guess by the name.

They're roundwounds that are ground smooth. Or so I am led to believe. They're supposed to be closer in tone to roundwound.

• Members

I use flat wound 11's on my electric jazz box. I like them a lot. Never tried them on an acoustic. I can't imagine why they would sound any different than round wound electric strings on an acoustic.

• Members

I use flat wounds (D'Addario Chromes usually) on all my electrics and have since the 60's. I hate the feel of round wounds and string squeak. On my acoustics I use D'Addario Half Flats which are round wounds machined down to simulate flats.

• Members

sittin here playin slide and wondering what flatwounds would sound like

or electric strings

saw brass strings for sale on WWBW.com

made me wonder how many acoustic guitars are strung with something other than bronze strings (or gut), or in gauges other than 12 or 13

The original National strings were nickle plated and a few reso players swear by them.

And, for what it is worth, your sig makes me want to turn sigs off - I'm assuming you are a survivor, that is cool, but be a little less in my face about it.

• Members

And, for what it is worth, your sig makes me want to turn sigs off - I'm assuming you are a survivor, that is cool, but be a little less in my face about it.

dude are you serious?

you take cancer's side?!?!?! :eek:

I don't appreciate your lack of the word please, thus making your request more like an order :cop:

isn't the internet fun when we get all serious about it? ;)

anyway, thanks for the info about the nickel strings -- I know the mag pickups I've got on some of these guitars would surely work better with some electric strings, and it's cheap to satisfy this curiosity, isn't it?

just wondered how many around here had already played around

is anyone using flats or groundwounds specifically with slide?

• Members

The thing about playing slide on a standard guitar is that it's not realy set up for slide playing. I have a couple of dobros a 33H and a F60 and you can fret em, but I use .16's on em. I like the feel of the brass slide, but chrome slides give you less string grit.

• Members

The thing about playing slide on a standard guitar is that it's not realy set up for slide playing. I have a couple of dobros a 33H and a F60 and you can fret em, but I use .16's on em. I like the feel of the brass slide, but chrome slides give you less string grit.

naw - these are set up for slide - can't fret 'em at all, really

got the nut extension, raised saddle, etc.

I don't reckon I need to worry about a dobro till I've pushed the boundaries of these guitars' capabilities a bit more

the brass was gettin all squeaky last night though -- I switched to glass after a few songs and sounded smoother - depends on the day I guess whether I prefer chrome, brass or glass - haven't tried ceramic yet

• Members

d'Addario makes FlatTops, which are ground flat, and GHS makes Rollerwounds, which AFAIK have had the wraps "rolled" to partially flatten them. Either might be what you're looking for. AFAIK, "brass" is just another word for 80/20 "bronze," since 80/20 bronze is technically brass. There are also strings that are specifically made for acoustics with pickups. DR Zebras are in that category.

• Members

AFAIK, "brass" is just another word for 80/20 "bronze," since 80/20 bronze is technically brass.

I believe bronze is an alloy of copper and tin whilst brass is an alloy of copper and zinc.

HST (and confusingly), some string makers describe their strings as "bronze" when they are, in fact, brass, eg. Dean Markley "Alchemy", Ernie Ball "Earthwound", Rotosound "Tru Bronze". Dunlop (California based string maker) also make a brass set of strings.

If you want flatwound strings, the Italian makers "Galli" do a bronze tapewound set specifically for acoustic guitar.

• Members

I've been wondering about the aural properties of silver or steel strings...

I saw this guy play the other day, and his strings definitely weren't plain bronze. They were round wound and were a bright silvery color. So they were either silver or steel (in whole or in part), right?

Sounded awesome, though I know the guitar and the player had a lot to do with that. :p

• Members

I believe bronze is an alloy of copper and
tin
whilst brass is an alloy of copper and
zinc

HST (and confusingly), some string makers describe their strings as "bronze" when they are, in fact, brass, . . .

I was under the impression that all strings described as "80/20 bronze" were in actuality brass. I'm aware of the difference in composition though. Thanks for the clarification.

Archived