Any of you guys keep a beater at work?

robbyg

• Members

I keep 4 guitars at work, 2 acoustics and 2 electrics.

DSC00140.jpg

02b552d5.jpg

applause1.jpg

thug2.jpg

All of my guitars are beaters.

I teach an elective guitar class for seven middle school and high school students every day. Sometimes they bring their own, but usually I just let them use mine.

• Members

I am looking at an Alvarez RD8 in the corner of my office right now. Rarely, played, occasionally in evening after work. Had to be all laminate, as this place is like the Sahara in the winter. Tried keeping a cool mist humidifier going at one time, but gave up a losing battle.

• Members

I bought a beater to keep at work. My present keep-at-work guitar is a Yamaha F335 I got on eBay for $76. I don't get to play it too often, but it is nice to be able to take a short break with it occasionally. Another coworker uses it more that I do (he's a better guitar player also).

Economics of my keep at work guitar:

1st: MF stupid deal of the day Aria w/tuner and gig bag for $56 w/ shipping

sold without tuner or gig bag for $65

2nd: eBay Samick with gig bag for $50 including shipping

sold without gig bag for $80

3rd: eBay Yamaha F-335 with stand for $76

I didn't like the sound of the Aria, and didn't care for the V neck on the Samick. So for $37 I have an F-335 at work with a gig bag and a tuner.

At home I have another gig bag (which now holds my parlor), an extra stand, and another tuner.

If you can't tell I'm proud of my frugality. My coworker prefered the Samick, he said his hand gets tired faster with the Yamaha (he's an electric player). I'm much more comfortable with the Yamaha neck.

Scott O

• Members

I once took a uke to work when I was working deep overnight shift alone. But otherwise, no.

Similar situation. For a while I was working 12 hour shifts with little to do so I brought my Alvarez RD10 beater. I've also brought our daughter's Epi A-10 in a similar situation. I've played it 'way more than she has. Didn't keep the guitar at work in either instance though, just took it to and from.

• Members

I keep the old family acoustic behind the conference room door at work. It almost never gets played... but maybe if I'm there on a Saturday and I get the urge to compare various microphones (I work in the audio business) or the power goes out or something. I've got also got my old Teisco del Rey electric there in case I need to test a guitar amp or something.

• Members

I used to (a Strat) but I couldn't control the humidity. Then my boss bought one of those Martin HPL guitars. He wanted me to teach him some fingerpicking but that was hopeless so he took his home too.

I can't play guitar at work. Wrong time and ambience. Just don't get into playing there.

• Members

I bought my Yamaha FG-75 specifically as a beater to keep at work. I make my own schedule and use my time as I see fit, so if I have free time I sometimes take out my beater and play a while. I personally do not like how the FG-75 worked out as far as tone is concerned, but it does the trick.

• Members

Ya, I'm very lucky that my boss is cool with keeping our guitars @ work. I keep one or two hanging in my office. We have others in our office that also keep a guitar in their office two. We try & jam once a week b/4 our office happy hour.

Archived