Reminder: VOM 10 is this Sunday, Nov 9

Stackabones

• Members

Coming up! Fire up your recorders and tune your guitars!

November 9th in history ...

1494 - Family de' Medici become rulers of Florence.

1620 - Pilgrims aboard the Mayflower sight land at Cape Cod, Massachusetts.

1861 - The first documented football match in Canada is played at University College, University of Toronto.

1888 - Jack the Ripper kills Mary Jane Kelly, his last known victim.

1917 - Joseph Stalin enters the provisional government of the USSR.

1921 - Albert Einstein is awarded the Nobel Prize in Physics for his work with the photoelectric effect.

1967 - First issue of Rolling Stone Magazine is published.

1989 - Cold War: Fall of the Berlin Wall. Communist-controlled East Germany opens checkpoints in the Berlin Wall allowing its citizens to travel to West Germany. People start demolishing the Berlin Wall.

• Members

I recorded something over the week. Am happy with it. If I end up in the mountains again I'll forward it to 'Bones like last time. Stack, thanks so much for doing this.

As an aside, I was thinking that if people would send me just mp3's of their submissions we could put up an archive at the Annex. I'm not crazy about lots of different formates but it would be easy to do a month by month archive. What'cha all think?

• Members

I recorded something over the week. Am happy with it. If I end up in the mountains again I'll forward it to 'Bones like last time. Stack, thanks so much for doing this.

As an aside, I was thinking that if people would send me just mp3's of their submissions we could put up an archive at the Annex. I'm not crazy about lots of different formates but it would be easy to do a month by month archive. What'cha all think?

Sounds like a good idea. Will this also act as the VOM submission, or should we still link to somewhere else for that post?

• Members

November 9, 1992: Katherine McKenzie Martin born (my first-born). Sweet 16...how can it be? And how can it be a month since the last VOM? The months, the years, they fly by like paper in the wind.

As it happens, Mike and I will be recording tonight. Maybe something from that session will fit the bill.

• Members

I'm going youtube this time for the first time.

Just hoping my ugly mug will distract from all the audio clams.

Nah. I'm pretty sure if everyone made it past my last visual assault they are true to the purpose at hand. Besides, I want to see your finger work.

• Members

I'll be 53 this weekend. And crap, there has not been any time whatsoever for me to record for the last month & a half....

I've been messing around with this new USB interface trying to get the mic and guitar levels down pat. Sheesh, what a mish. I just need to get the sound quality of these guitars onto my You Tube uploads. It's all fun but, man, I could sure use an audio butler.

Happy Birthday, Riff! Oh, don't worry about becoming 53. I've been there. It won't last very long.

• Members

luckily, just before I got this fu**ing head cold, I recorded a new song....not the best recording, so hopefully the cure is near.....

Sometimes when I get a cold there's a couple days when my voice drops into the Lou Rawls range, but I can still sing. Those are fun days, I tells ya. :)

• Members

Sounds like a good idea. Will this also act as the VOM submission, or should we still link to somewhere else for that post?

No, submit your VOM on sunday in whatever linkable format you want. What I was thinking is that if later I had an mp3, Krash and I could put some folders in the Acoustic music section with titles like Nov 08 VOM and post all the music. Since is downloads from the Krashsite with no overhead it goes pretty fast, you can save it if you want it on your iPod, you can point others to it, yadda yadda. The Youtube and other vid formats really slow down the load time on my computer, as do bigger files like wav's, but I can stream almost anything in the Acoustic section and just listen to it. And I have a very large selection of members music on my 'Pod that I listen to a lot.

Obviously I can also add any piece of music to anyone's folder (or start a new folder if you don't have one) but I was just thinking about an easy way to archive the VOM's.

• Members

I've just noticed that there is an announcement at the top of the page saying there is HCAG forum maintenance scheduled for the 9th - which is VOM day. Hope it doesn't interfere with submissions being posted.

Here's the official notice ...

The forums will be offline on November 9 from approximately 11 PM until 5 AM (Pacific time) on 11-10-08 for maintenance. We apologize for any inconvenience.

If I'm doing my time zone math correctly, it shouldn't be a problem for the VOM (which is on Central Standard Time, midnight to midnight). The maintenance will start 1 AM CST Nov 10.

• Members

Last night was inspiring to me as I watched history being made and a winner and a loser of a pretty nasty campaign both make gracious speeches and it inspired me a little bit. No, I didn't write a song (even though the title "Could It Be?" came to mind) but instead a cover came to mind. It's one I've been trying to learn for years now - and I can only make it halfway through on my best day - so I can't make any guarantees. Because of that, I won't even utter the title.

Archived