Where do you keep your picks?

seagullplayer77

• Members
I think that black hole exists in the homes of anyone that owns a guitar (that uses a pick). I sure would like to know where they come out at! Probably some guitar shop somewhere in the midwest.....

I'll bet there's an alternate universe at the other end of all those black holes...A place where the only form of precipitation is guitar picks of varying shapes, thicknesses, and colors. To quote a kid's song, "Oh, what a rain that would be!" :facepalm:

• Members
I'll bet there's an alternate universe at the other end of all those black holes...A place where the only form of precipitation is guitar picks of varying shapes, thicknesses, and colors. To quote a kid's song, "Oh, what a rain that would be!"
:facepalm:

I've always assumed tiny aliens carry 'em off, to power their spaceships.

• Members

one in my wallet, a few in lost throughout the house, five or six in my guitar case, and about 20 in an altoids tin in my cable bag. i used to lose them a lot, but since i started using the altoids tin i have lost significantly less.

during shows i have one that i use that can go from my pocket to my mouth, to playing. i also stick a coulpe between my vocal mic and the mic clip in case i drop my main one.

• Members
My three-year-old daughter seems to think they're supposed to be kept in the sound hole.

one time at a show i pressed my feedback buster too hard into place and it fell in (it was a battle of the bands and i was really nervous). it bumped around inside for all three of the songs i played. i could see my wife laughing when it happened.

:facepalm:

• Members

I must have oral fixations. I always have at least one in my mouth. Before that it was toothpicks; before that, sugarless Bubble Yum (peppermint flavor) and before that, cigarettes. And
way
before that, my thumb.

It's great when you play out. It's always right there when you switch from fingerstyle to picking.

But I also have lots of picks stashed in little handmade ceramic bowls in the two rooms at home that I play in most often. If I didn't do that, I'd have to keep buying new ones every week.

So, have you found an acceptable substitue for your thumb? ;)

• Members

I keep mine in my guitar case long-term. When I'm going to be playing and the guitar is either lying sitting on the stand or, occasionally, lying in the case, I stick one between the high strings at about the third fret. I put it back there when I'm finished unless I'm packing up the guitar, in which instance I put the pick in the case. Every great once in a while, I put one in my pocket and if I'm playing at home I leave one on a table or the arm of the sofa. I do, however, have to be careful that the dog doesn't get hold of it because she'll chew it up. I still have one that barely survived.

• Members

So, have you found an acceptable substitue for your thumb?
;)

Yes! At last! I think picks is it. Because I have to buy them anyway, because they don't get used up, and because you never know when you'll want one for playing guitar. It's not even hard to sing with one or more in-mouth.

Best for the mouth are the ones with holes in the center--on the off-chance that one gets lodged in the trachea...hasn't ever happened, but I'd hate to go out that way.

• Members

Watch pocket of my jeans. My music store gave me a leather key fob that holds picks, and I keep some in there, but I forget I have them. But I always have them. I used to keep one in the strings, but that bends them over time and makes them hard to play with. Danged crookedy picks. Never buy pants without a watch pocket. I'm serious.

• Members

Mine get so far all over the place that one time in college I went to a friend's place to play and when I asked him for a pick he handed me one and said, "Here, I think this is yours anyway." That same thing seemed to happen fairly often.

Archived