Anyone use Bluechips?

peachcowboy

• Members

I heard a guy playing on Saturday, and it really stood out how oily his flatpicking sounded. Asked him about the technique and he grinned and handed me a Bluechip 60. Looked them up, and dang! 35 or 40 bucks for a pick. It WAS noticeable. Any alternatives?

• Members

I don't use them but I just read a funny story on the Breedlove site. One of the guys over there had 4 of these sitting on the rail of his ground level deck and the wind picked up and tossed them off the rail and they all found their own path down into the slots between the deck boards. Now he's on the "Deck Builders Forum" trying to find out how to pull up Trex deck. $160 of Ouch!

• Members

Do these picks produce the same kind of tonalities as fingerpicking?

I suspect that they may well be made from the reconstituted fingernail dust of all the fingerpickers here who have 'fessed up to being nail care 'buffs' - presumably finally forced out by the poor acoustics in the closet :p:lol:

Their filings, mixed with rocking horse droppings, would explain the material shortage leading to the high price.

More seriously tho', I have heard that the Red Bear picks are a real advantage in certain playing circumstances eg the speed bevels in playing triplets in reels.

What are the perceived/claimed advantages with these?

• Members

PS, I just talked to a friend of mine who uses them and he says they are made from a similar composite as is used in Graph-Tech's TUSQ XL nuts. The material contains PTFE (Teflon- is the slipperiest substance on earth...500 times more slippery than graphite.) and so although it feels dry in the hand it is actually lubricated. They would have to be either high pressure formed or milled from stock, hence the cost. Cool idea though. If they catch on I imagine you will see Graph-Tech or someone like that come out with a lower cost version since they already have the process in place to manufacture the material.

• Members

I heard a guy playing on Saturday, and it really stood out how oily his flatpicking sounded. Asked him about the technique and he grinned and handed me a Bluechip 60. Looked them up, and dang! 35 or 40 bucks for a pick. It WAS noticeable. Any alternatives?

Yeah, I've got an alternative. A guy in our bluegrass group buys genuine tortoise shell picks. He buys them USED because he says you can't buy new ones anymore. Pays anywhere from 25-50 bucks apiece for 'em. Such a deal!

One of the other guys told me about an old genuine tortoise shell pick guard that he acquired from someplace, and he made his own picks out of it. Said he made about half a dozen of 'em. Didn't remember what he paid for the pick guard, but said it was probably less than $40!

I'll let both of these guys know about these Bluechip 60s. I'm sure they'll both just have to have at least one of 'em. All this proves to me is that some people will buy anything guitar related as long as it's priced high enough!!

Personally, I feel it's all about trendy consumerism and bragging rights! Then again, maybe I'm just "CHEAP" because I don't think I"ve ever spent more than a buck fifty for a flat pick! And, for me, that's SPLURGING!

• Members

Do these picks produce the same kind of tonalities as fingerpicking?

I suspect that they may well be made from the reconstituted fingernail dust of all the fingerpickers here who have 'fessed up to being nail care 'buffs' - presumably finally forced out by the poor acoustics in the closet
:p:lol:

Their filings, mixed with rocking horse droppings, would explain the material shortage leading to the high price.

More seriously tho', I have heard that the Red Bear picks are a real advantage in certain playing circumstances eg the speed bevels in playing triplets in reels.

What are the perceived/claimed advantages with these?

Advantages:

1. Lighten wallet

2. Increase deck building skills

3. Prevent fingernail filings from polluting the world

4. Increase transmission of perceived string vibration through index and thumb fingers of right hand.

5. Give Graymuzzle something to whine about in his spare time.

BigAl :lol:

• Members

The guy that handed me the Bluechip, told me all he ever used before was real tortoise shell. I can tell you that the difference was noticeable to me, an untrained ear. When he put it in my hand, it felt heavy and solid, but also thick between the fingers. It felt slippery and I asked him if it was hard to hold, he said he licks a finger first, and has no problems. He by the way is one of the instructors at the Guitar week in Swannanoa in July. Ed Dodson.

• Members

If they do sound better than basic plastic picks and also feel better, I don't see how spending $35 on a pick is sillier than spending the same amount or more on fancy bridge pins or expensive good quality strings. :idk:

I'll read jamesp's review with interest.

• Members

I hoping it's more like a nice bottle of Scotch.
:lol:

Color me curious, but at least I'll know one way or the other.

Who knows, tonight could be the Wegen's last jam.
:cry:

I'm crazy about my Wegen(s), too. Have you tried Dugain?

Looking forward to your report. :)

• Members

Looking forward to your report.
:)

I haven't, but those look interesting. I'm also skipping over Red Bears, which I'd still like to try sometime.

Wegen Funny: About a month ago I lost three picks at a jam. They fell out of my pocket onto a dark carpet in a darkened room and I figured they'd find them later. So at the next week's jam the guy who's studio we're in says he found 'em and hands me two. A Dawg and a Golden Gate. Sadly missing is the Wegen M150. A week later the same guy is saying how much he likes that pick I "left" for him. :confused:

What's $5 between friends, eh?

FWIW, I've spent a lot more hours with a pick in my hand than a glass of whiskey.

• Members

FWIW, I've spent a lot more hours with a pick in my hand than a glass of whiskey.

Let's see ... last week I had approximately 12 hours of gigs, 35 students (one gave me a glass of wine, not whiskey), and add to that all the personal practice time. I definitely had many more guitar hours than whiskey (or even wine) hours.

And may the two never meet. :)

• Members

The Dugains are great to illustrate what difference the material makes, since they all have the same shape. In my experience, different types work best with different guitars. Some I love, some I hate.

I used to be a "bone" person (mostly on my electric), but now my two favourite are Acetate (a tortoise-shell copy) that gives a rather smooth tone, and Ebony, which gives a brighter tone, snappier attack... but unfortunately wears down quite quickly.

On my GJ guitar, most of the time I use either my Wegens (Dark Eyes 3.5 or Gypsy Jazz 3.5... I've tried thinner or the "button" one, but I'm not a fan) or a Dugain acetate.

• Members

The Dugains are great to illustrate what difference the material makes, since they all have the same shape. In my experience, different types work best with different guitars. Some I love, some I hate.

I used to be a "bone" person (mostly on my electric), but now my two favourite are Acetate (a tortoise-shell copy) that gives a rather smooth tone, and Ebony, which gives a brighter tone, snappier attack... but unfortunately wears down quite quickly.

On my GJ guitar, most of the time I use either my Wegens (Dark Eyes 3.5 or Gypsy Jazz 3.5... I've tried thinner or the "button" one, but I'm not a fan) or a Dugain acetate.

:thu:

So, how's the weather and the new digs? :wave:

• Members

That was fast! I arrived home to find my TPR 60 in the mailbox. I've only been playing it for the last half an hour but my initial impression is that it's worth half a bottle of decent Scotch.

It does feel a bit slick to the touch at first, but I don't see a problem hanging on to it. The playing feel is very fast off the string and makes for smooth double-stops and tremolos. No breaking-in of the speed bevel was required. Narrower than the Dawg picks, it seems to "put out" more sound with far less input. Tonewise, I'd say that it's slightly more "full" than the Wegen M150s. Louder and warmer than Dawgs, or the M100, without being as bright. "Pick-click" is definitely lessened.

That's all I've got for now. I'll keep playing w/ 'em and report back. Right now I'd say it plays better than my Wegens, but I'm still not completely sold on the tone. It's certainly different, but I'm not sure that it's better. They're very nice picks at any rate.

• Members

That was fast! I arrived home to find my TPR 60 in the mailbox. I've only been playing it for the last half an hour but my initial impression is that it's worth half a bottle of decent Scotch.

It does feel a bit slick to the touch at first, but I don't see a problem hanging on to it. The playing feel is very fast off the string and makes for smooth double-stops and tremolos. No breaking-in of the speed bevel was required. Narrower than the Dawg picks, it seems to "put out" more sound with far less input. Tonewise, I'd say that it's slightly more "full" than the Wegen M150s. Louder and warmer than Dawgs, or the M100, without being as bright. "Pick-click" is definitely lessened.

That's all I've got for now. I'll keep playing w/ 'em and report back. Right now I'd say it plays better than my Wegens, but I'm still not completely sold on the tone. It's certainly different, but I'm not sure that it's better. They're very nice picks at any rate.

Cool. Thanks for follow up review. :thu:

Archived