Anyone use Bluechips?

peachcowboy

• Members
:thu:

So how are things going in Berklee, BTW? (it's Berklee, right?)

How does it feel to be a full-time music student?

Odd, but wonderful. This place has its ups and downs but has so much to offer.

I've been lucky this semester, as my private instructor is a man named John McGann. He posts on the djangobooks forum and has taught, amongst others, Michael Horowitz! He is a GREAT teacher, and forcing me to really push myself forward.

I've been exposed to a lot of musical experiences, and my harmony and ear training classes are all starting to show in my playing;)

I think I will come out of here finally able to really call myself a musician. Thanks for asking!

Glad to hear that apart from some weather, everything is going fine for you:)

• Members

I love my bluechip picks...got three of them in varying weights.....the one pictured is my favorite for flatpicking..........I've had mine for a long time and I don't think you'd ever wear it out.....my tortois picks always required maintenance/buffing etc....

1025-1919182312009.jpg

• Members

Glad to hear that apart from some weather, everything is going fine for you:)

Everything's going fine, indeed. Thanks. :)

Oh, and BTW... can we clear something out once and for all, please?...

so...................... Which is best? Italian pizza or American (NY, Chicago) pizza? :poke:

• Members

Thanks for the follow up, I have been waiting for feedback. It does sound like you think they are worthy in quality and action, just still not sure about tonality? Tonality being subjective, and the pick being new still, I will be interested in a further, possibly side by side with other picks. I love this site, and thanks to everyone who participates.

• Members

Makes no difference if one spends $40 on a pick, $40 on a set of acrylic nails, or $40 on bridge pins or high-end strings, etc.

Bottom line: If it makes your playing sound exactly as you want to hear it, it's money well spent.

As for yours truly - I'll spend $1 on a bottle of clear nail polish and $39.00 on a case of great beer. The git sounds great and I'm happy too. Win-win. :D

• Members
$100 bottles of Scotch and $39 cases of beer?
:eek:
Man, the corksniffers are coming outta the closet on this thread!
:)

Corksniffer? :eek: Not this gal !!

I just happen to like robust beer such as IPA and Porter, which unfortunately doesn't come cheap. ($8.99 per 6-pack)

As for those candy-assed light beers...

Kinda like having a turbo instead of a supercharger. All the lag and none of the boost. Worse than waiting on bad sex.

• Members
I love my bluechip picks...got three of them in varying weights.....the one pictured is my favorite for flatpicking..........I've had mine for a long time and I don't think you'd ever wear it out.....my tortois picks always required maintenance/buffing etc....

1025-1919182312009.jpg

Why is the 40 your favorite for flat picking? Give us some detail on the varying weights, their feel, etc.

I currently have been using Fender 351 style (Blue Chip TD) in extra heavy and do not vary at all.

I get the feeling that the Blue Chip 40 would match this. Do you agree?
My Fenders get chewed up pretty good in no time. These Blue Chips do not at all?
Do you baby your playing at all to preserve your pick's life expectancy?
The string click is much more muted on these? Please describe a little more.
For example, I hated the Red Bears and sent mine back within 1 minute of playing. Way too clicky. Are these completly in the other direction>
What's with the bevel being righty or lefty? Does it make a big difference if you hold them backwards?

• Members
That sounds really exciting!

Being a self-taught guitar player who actually does not know much and certainly does not practice and play enough, I've always phantasized about where my musical knowledge and skills would be now, had I gone this road. It certainly is a unique opportunity.
:thu:

When I retire, maybe?

Everything's going fine, indeed. Thanks.
:)

Oh, and BTW... can we clear something out once and for all, please?...

so...................... Which is best? Italian pizza or American (NY, Chicago) pizza? :poke:

Studying music is a very personal thing. Some get a lot out of it, some think its a waste of time, others see it as detrimental to their playing. Going through an official education doesn't HAVE to make you better. It suits my approach to music perfectly, but there are so many others out there who manage to make the most of themselves without music school.

And oh god, the pizza:facepalm: I'm sorry. Its a lovely country. It really is, and I am glad to be here. But pizza is far from their speciality.

And don't even get me started on the coffee:eek:

• Members

:D

I know... :o

More than the "official education", what I had in mind was being a full-time music student, whatever the method is: having full days, weeks, months... to dedicate to music, not just a few minutes once in a while.

And interactions with teachers and other students: living in a musicians' world.

Which reminds me that I need to try to find musicians around here.

• Members
You didn't bring one of these with you?

BialettiOldSchool.jpg

I did, but that doesn't mean I can't complain about the espressos. :D

And I understand you completely Pascal, but you'd be surprised how much doing stuff outside of music helps music, as I'm sure you know.

But strangely enough, the bulk of what I've learned so far has been from musicians outside the classroom. And yeah, you should find musicians ASAP. Such an important thing.;)

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

I just received my TP1R 60. It seems solid, has three beveled edges (and therefore should hopefully last a lifetime... or at least until I lose it next week). And at 1.5mm, it is the thinnest pick I've had in about a decade! :eek:

I'm at work, though... so I'll report back on the tone/playability later. :o

• Members

OK... after about 15 minutes on my Levoi:

All corner but the rounded one (upper left, next to the B of Bluechip) sound much too thin to me. They could work very well for some strummers or flat top guitars, though.

The rounded corner gives more depth to the tone, and a very smooth attack. Too smooth, maybe. The general shape, I think, is a bit too wide for me. I don't thimk they got the balance between depth and attack right.

It is a decent pick, but nothing special, imho. I'd still rate my 3.5mm wegens (yeux noirs, gypsy jazz) and my Dugains (acetate, ebony - I play them upside down-) higher. I'd say it's on par with my wegen GJ 2.5mm, maybe... and a notch better than my Dunlop Tortex 2mm (I use the rounded corners on these).

I'll keep it, though (unlike some other wegens and dugains), as it is decent enough.

But of, course, this is just me on this one guitar. :idk:

• Members

Thanks Pascal, for the follow up and honest review. I think the pick I saw and heard was a 60, seemed thicker. Your comment on the attack being possibly 'too' smooth was my exact reason for asking the question in the OP. I had never heard a flatpicker, with no pick sound. Is that 'Good' or 'bad' I don't know. But from your response, you still aren't sure either. I will be watching for your 'living with it for a while' review. In the meantime, I have ordered the Bluechip 60 to check out. I am not experienced enough to have a knowledgable take, but I will convey what I experience. Thanks again for following up.

Archived