The best $600.00 and under acoustic thread...

campfirehero

• Members

Care to list some options?

Yamaha FG730S

Johnson Carolina JO27

Epiphone Masterbilt

Recording King

Silver Creek

Martin

I know you can get some good all wood guitars for that price point, or just a solid top for half that as well. So what do you think is the short list for the price range...

Personally I like the masterbilt series, but I've been impressed with the yamaha, and I'm just learning about the johnson models...

• Members

FG730S is a great chioce. The Sitka top give a nice warm sound for strumming and general playing. Check out the Yamaha 6 series. Solid Engelman top, handmade and comes with a very nice pro soft case. I have the LS6 is a nice OM size for Fingerstyle.

Yep. Check out Yamaha...

• Members

the older d-1 used...
;)

That kind of thing only happens if you find a seller as stupid as I was - and I have to assume that this is a pretty rare thing.

Under $600, I'd get me a Yammie LL6 and have enough left over for a cheap hooker and some Triscuits.

• Members

Under $600, I'd get me a Yammie LL6 and have enough left over for a cheap hooker and some Triscuits.

See--I'd skip the Triscuits and go upscale on the hoo-er. In Detroit, that would get you a lot more than in NYC! Hypothetically speaking, of course.

Little known fact--the unemployment rate for prostitutes in Detroit is actually higher than that of the general workforce. No bailout money for them either, at least not from the Feds. Seems unfair, given the fact the financial sector has been screwing the public almost as long as they have.

Oh--guitars. Under $600, I think Masterbilt is a prohibitive favorite.

• Members

You asked about Silver Creeks, I'll tell ya about Silver Creeks.

From a previous thread: I have two Silver Creek dreads, the D160 and the D170. Both of them had uneven frets, in addition to needing nut filing and saddle shaving. (They both came with bone nut and saddle BTW.) The bridge pins are cheap plastic, and the tuners are a bit cheap.

I put new bridge pins on. The tuners haven't given me reason to replace them. I filed, crowned and dressed the frets, and did the setup work on both of them myself, so I probably saved a few bucks there, but even if I had had to pay to have it done, I would have done it.

For all that, these guitars sound very good-- better than any laminates, and as good as most solid woods I've tried, IMHO, and FWIW.

• Members

We could break it down to new and used...

New: Epiphone Masterbilt AJ-500R - played one at Guitar Center the other day and was very, very impressed. If I were going to buy a guitar in this range, this would be the one. But, there are tons of guitars in this range I haven't played.

New: Seagull 25th Anniversary CW Flame Maple - weird headstock, awesome everything else...

Used: Taylor 114ce - while it is at the bottom of the Taylor pile and doesn't have solid wood back/sides, it still plays really, really well and has a pretty sweet taylor sound, if you like the taylor sound... If you get lucky you could probably score a 214ce for $600, and if electronics aren't essential, you could probably get a 214 (no CE). Or 110. Or 210, depending on your body style of choice.

There are many more great options, especially used...

• Members

Care to list some options?

Yamaha FG730S

Johnson Carolina JO27

Epiphone Masterbilt

Recording King

Silver Creek

Martin

I know you can get some good all wood guitars for that price point, or just a solid top for half that as well. So what do you think is the short list for the price range...

Personally I like the masterbilt series, but I've been impressed with the yamaha, and I'm just learning about the johnson models...

My Guild GAD was under 600 last year, but I don't know if that's still true

• Members

You asked about Silver Creeks, I'll tell ya about Silver Creeks.

From a previous thread: I have two Silver Creek dreads, the D160 and the D170. Both of them had uneven frets, in addition to needing nut filing and saddle shaving. (They both came with bone nut and saddle BTW.) The bridge pins are cheap plastic, and the tuners are a bit cheap.

I put new bridge pins on. The tuners haven't given me reason to replace them. I filed, crowned and dressed the frets, and did the setup work on both of them myself, so I probably saved a few bucks there, but even if I had had to pay to have it done, I would have done it.

For all that, these guitars sound very good-- better than any laminates, and as good as most solid woods I've tried, IMHO, and FWIW.

I have to agree here that the Silver Creeks are one great buy. I have both the T-170 and the D-170 and I had to set both up though I didn't have uneven frets to contend with. Truss bar adjustment, nut file and saddle shave and all was fine. Most any guitar you buy new will need a setup unless you buy from a smaller dealer who will do it for you before delivery. The best thing about these is if you are patient and diligent you can get them for less than $200 with sales and price matching. Guitar with hardshell case will run less than $250 and I figure they're the best buy on the market.

When purchasing one of these just make sure to go over it good. There have been some klunkers reported in the past. Of course YMMV.

:)

• Members

If I was going to spend $600 I'd go for the Masterbilt over the FG730S.

I love my FG730S, but my Epi sounds better.

Now if the OP had said $400, that would be another story.

I think it depends on which MB,i bought the AJ-500M and took it back only to come home with a FG730s,once i put a bone nut on the 730 there was no comparison,the MB's seem a bit too dark for my palette just MO:thu:

Archived