How Often Do You Use a Capo?

• Members

I can understand where the lead guitarist guy is coming from, viz. that using a capo might limit one's playing skill. It is very tempting to use a capo so that you can play in a "difficult" key using easy open chords whereas if you do not use a capo you develop the ability to play in any key - Eb, F#, whatever. This means you will need to use barre chords and better utilize the length of the fretboard which is, I would venture, a desirable skill for a guitarist to possess. I have never, for example, seen a jazz guitarist using a capo.

Normally I prefer to transpose if a song is in a key that I find difficult to sing but I use a capo quite a bit mainly to preserve the colour of a song written in a particular key and also so that I can use passing notes - sus2, sus4, 6ths, 7ths, etc to embellish the accompaniment (the ability to transpose between keys is also a most useful skill for a guitarist - I can transpose at sight between the "easy" keys: A, C, D, E, G and I would recommend that every guitarist learns to do so).

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I voted "Once in a while, if the situation calls for it" but it's really about a third of the time. Among other things, I find that certain songs (especially original tunes) lend themselves to being played in certain keys but the key doesn't necessarily match my vocal range. Or some keys (F or Bb, for example) are simply a pain to play in. The music for several of our worship songs is in F with an optional set of chords in D with instructions to use a capo at the third fret. One is in Fm ("They'll Know We Are Christians By Our Love") with optional chords in Em and instructions to use a capo.

• Members
I have never, for example, seen a jazz guitarist using a capo.

Do you really think that jazz guitarists set the standard for skill level in guitar?

Traditionally, the use of capos isn't needed by jazz guitarists due to the fact that they often use shell chords (two or three notes) rather than barre chords. In big bands, there was no need to play six strings in full barre. Complex chords are often simplified to basic 7ths (the pianist or horns manage the extensions or alterations). The "difficult" keys in jazz guitar are the flat ones, which is why jazz guitarists learn the simple two and three note shell chords. Incidentally, most flat keys favor horn and are easy keys for them.

Among jazz guitarists playing chord melody, you will find barre chord usuage during chord melody solos, but not as frequent in uptempo tunes.

Even contemporary jazz guitarists are urged to use smaller voicings rather than barre chords. There is a whole culture against barre chords in jazz guitar. They cheat by using shell chords. ;)

• Members

In my rock band I never use them. In my acoustic duo I use one on a few songs just to keep the original key and feel of the song. I'm not crazy about them but sometimes there's no getting around it.

• Members

Like so many here, my voice has a somewhat limited range, so I frequently move songs up or down a half step to sing them better. Sometimes I even change them into a really funky key to fit my voice.

Since I'm a one man band and am more or less a strummer, I use a capo to make sure I'm always playing open chords and avoid bar chords as much as possible. Makes for a more full sound. It doesn't mean I can't play it in the proper chord voicings, but no one in a bar is going to give a damn if I'm using a capo so long as it sounds good.

A lot of times, I also use a capo to change the chord positioning so walk up's or walk downs are easier (i.e. - playing a song in the key of A, but using a capo on 2 so I can easily do the walk down from C to Am or G to Em without barring)

I'd bet I use one on 40-50% of the songs I do.

• Members

Many electric guitar players simply don't understand the acoustic guitar. I'm looking for the different voices of a chord, not an easy way to play it. I can play every bar chord / power chord but I can't get my voicings that way. I need open strings to get my voicings. Capo's open up a whole new world to guitar playing and good acoustic players use them because of the voicings not because they don't know how to transpose. Also, Chubb capo's are the best for me because I can adjust the tension and hopefully not mess with the tuning. I never cared much for the the clamp on types.

Just my thoughts.

• Members
Like so many here, my voice has a somewhat limited range, so I frequently move songs up or down a half step to sing them better. Sometimes I even change them into a really funky key to fit my voice.

Since I'm a one man band and am more or less a strummer, I use a capo to make sure I'm always playing open chords and avoid bar chords as much as possible. Makes for a more full sound. It doesn't mean I can't play it in the proper chord voicings, but no one in a bar is going to give a damn if I'm using a capo so long as it sounds good.

A lot of times, I also use a capo to change the chord positioning so walk up's or walk downs are easier (i.e. - playing a song in the key of A, but using a capo on 2 so I can easily do the walk down from C to Am or G to Em without barring)

I'd bet I use one on 40-50% of the songs I do.

This and it's also about getting the right sonority when writing a song; because sometimes chords just sound better with a capo 3. :cool:

• Members

Just curious...

The lead guitarist in my church worship band absolutely despises the things and gives me a nasty look every time I use one. Sometimes, if he's in the mood, he'll give me a lecture about how real musicians don't use them, and how they're only for cheaters, and blah, blah, blah.

I don't use a capo all that often, although I bought a Kyser cut capo a while back and I've started using it more and more. Really opens up some new possibilities sonically...

Anyway, in my opinion, a capo is a useful tool that can really come in handy in a pinch. What do you folks think?

If your lead guitarist was a real musician he wouldn't say stupid stuff like that.

• Members

Just curious...

The lead guitarist in my church worship band absolutely despises the things and gives me a nasty look every time I use one. Sometimes, if he's in the mood, he'll give me a lecture about how real musicians don't use them, and how they're only for cheaters, and blah, blah, blah.

What do you folks think?

I think that I will stay out of your Church........If that is the kind of mentality of someone who is part of the Music Ministry of the Chruch I can just imagine the subliminal messages being sent out from the pulpit.

Now as far as Capos.......

I have Shub; regular, partial,12string.

G7, NS, 5-String, and a ThirdHand....

• Members

I use one a fair bit. Can't understand the 'real players don't' angle at all. Every guitar hero I've ever seen uses them - Clapton uses them and so does everyone else I listen to. It's as valid a tool as a pick or a slide.
Just because it isn't a part of the guitar doesn't mean it isn't a part of guitar playing.

• Members
That's like saying using a crescent wrench is "cheating", and you should have every size wrench known to mankind in your pocket.

I know plenty of people like that. :facepalm: Funny. I can have the bolt out with the crescent quicker than they can go get the "right" wrench.

• Members

I can understand where the lead guitarist guy is coming from, viz. that using a capo might limit one's playing skill. It is very tempting to use a capo so that you can play in a "difficult" key using easy open chords whereas if you do not use a capo you develop the ability to play in any key - Eb, F#, whatever. This means you will need to use barre chords and better utilize the length of the fretboard which is, I would venture, a desirable skill for a guitarist to possess. I have never, for example, seen a jazz guitarist using a capo.

Here's a Jazz guy using a capo..

Archived