• Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Absentee Postings

Absentee Post from: garthman

Title: Arglwydd, dyma fi (Lord, I come)

Credits: John Roberts/Lewis Hartsough/William Arnold

garthman Comments:

This song (described as Traditional) was recorded by Cerys Matthews (ex Catatonia vocalist) on her debut solo album.

When I heard the song the tune was familiar and when I looked it up I discovered it was a Welsh hymn so it's likely I sang it in chapel as a child.

Research showed that it was written by John Roberts (who sometimes wrote under his bardic name 'Ieuan Gwyllt') who lived from 1822 to 1877 and who was an influential figure in the 19th century Welsh non-conformist movement. . . . .

. . . or so I thought. A little more research revealed that a very similar song called 'Welcome Voice' was written by a gentleman called Lewis Hartsough in 1872 for 'a revivalist meeting held at Epworth, Iowa.

Hmmmm . . plagarism at work it seems but by who? Further research seemed to indicate that Hartsough was the original author a fact confirmed by another famous contemporary hymnologist named Ira David Sankey (American but working in England) whose journals say of Welcome Voice: 'The words and mu*sic of this beau*ti*ful hymn were first pub*lished in a month*ly, en*ti*tled, 'Guide to Ho*li*ness', a co*py of which was sent to me in Eng*land. I im*me*di*ate*ly adopt*ed it, and had it pub*lished in 'Sac*red Songs and So*los' . . . .

So, there we are! Words and music by Lewis Hartsough, translated into Welsh by John Roberts . . . .

. . . or so I thought. It turns out that the music was not written by Hartsough at all. It stems from around 1810 and is a tune called 'Sarah' written by William Arnold (1768 - 1832) who is thought to have lived near Portsmouth in England.

So . . . . shall we just be kind and say that there was a lot of to-ing and fro-ing amongst UK and US non-confromists in the 19th century?

Mi glywaf dyner lais yn galw arnaf fi

I ddod a golchi

• Members

Manual absentee posting for jamesp ...

This afternoon I was listening to the Kruger Brothers at work and heard them sing a sadly familiar poem. I started out to do a mandolin version and this one was supposed to be the scratch track. Something, maybe the neighbor kids screeching in the background, maybe being really short of time, makes me want to use this one. So it's a just heard this song for the first time today first take.

The poem is by Christina Rossetti. The music was done much better by the Kruger Bros.

I'm dedicating it to Dominatrix_Bex and my little sister.

3mb

• Members

This is me flailing and abusing my Martin HD28-VR on a cover of Pink Floyd's Time. I always wanted to learn this song and that's what I'm doing here. Downloaded the chords from chordie and since I know the lyrics it came to me fast. Some songs I just have committed to memory in my mental jukebox.

So this is actually a one take performance and then additional one take vocal overdubs. Recently I decided to overdub in an off the cuff little simple solo in the middle.

[YOUTUBE]qmFKyakta6U [/YOUTUBE]

• Members

http://www.box.net/shared/a85b99qgx8

I wrote this song for my Dad, David Willis Martin, not long before he died. I played it for him by his bedside at the hospice, along with some other songs of mine. I am grateful that I had the chance. We lived so far apart.

Here's a picture of the two of us, not long before the end:

http://www.box.net/shared/pb8nn1t5hq

And here's the lyrics. Overall, one of my better lyric-writing ventures I think.

Sit down next to me/lean against me it

• Members

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=965890&songID=7818817

Elliott Smith- Angel in the Snow (Cover)

about to leave for vacation in a few minutes but managed to record this last minute, it is very much a VOM1T submission and is kinda sloppy but whatever I am just a greenhorn. Just a quick two minute song but a fun one to play

• Members

Here is a version of Whiskey Before Breakfast, arranged by Norman Blake:

http://soundclick.com/share?songid=7818987

This is more or less a first take. However, I did cut out about 1 second where I stopped in the middle. :facepalm:

This was recorded using my Larrivee SD-50 and a Samsung C03U USB mic and Audacity. This is the raw recording with no enhancements (besides the previously mentioned cut).

• Members

First, thanks to Chris, Joe and Krash for this wonderful reminder system. After uploading something to YouTube during the week for the VOM, I completely forgot about it. In my email this morning was the reminder. Great job!

Anyway, my selection for this month is my own instrumental version of "In the Evenin When the Sun Goes Down" a traditional blues number. I kind of chuckled at the other performers listed to the song - Ray Charles, Lou Rawls and now, bigald18! Sounds very different than them, though. :lol:

My dog can be seen sitting on the couch in the lower right hand corner of the screen at the beginning, and I am dressed in my Sunday best for the performance. Enjoy.

[YOUTUBE]M8AROMoec1k[/YOUTUBE]

• Members

H7bJkb_kT0k

This is from a few weeks back at a benefit show I played. This is the same pub that I host my weekly saturday afternoon open mic. One saturday they hosted a benefit show for charity and I performed at it. There were about 60-70 people inside the pub and on the patio which the listeners can see and hear you. On this particluar day there was a real PA system so it didn't sound too bad. Unfortunately the sound from my buddy's digital camera is crappy but hey...it's an actual live performance and "one take" for sure....;)

As for gear: I played my Epi H-Bird with my Fishman NeoD soundhole pickup into a LR Baggs pre-amp/DI gizmo into the PA.

Thanks for watching!

• Members

Well, it's been HOT!!!

Today I dragged out the FG411S for this VOM. It's be kind of neglected and still has an old set of John Pearse .012s on it, heavier than I normally use.

I decided to do something a bit different than what you guys have heard from me this time around.

Here's my redo of a Warren Zevon tune, "Carmelita".

• Members

Greetings folks

My song for this month is a blues tune, titled Blues For Flauros. One of the songs that will be on my next CD. Pretty straightforward Am blues, kinda on the mellow side 'cept for a little thunder and lightening here and there. So give a listen and tell me what you think

Thanks

Tony

[YOUTUBE][/YOUTUBE]

• Members

This is a quick recording I did this morning of Van Morrison's "Brown Eyed Girl".

Complete with flubs, clams, forgotten lyrics and bad singing.

This was done with a direct feed from the DTar system in my Martin Grand J12-40E Special mixed with an AKG 451 condenser mic on the vocal.

Apogee Duet->mixed in Logic Express->EQ, Compression, and a touch of reverb.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=843097&songID=7821920

• Members

Good Mornin' from a hot So CAl! I really haven't had time this week to put something together. I spent the last two days up in an attic crawlspace wiring up some ceiling fans for a customer. Had to be 120* up there! So, this is something I created last year and happens to be already stored in my webspace. It is called Uke Fantasy. It's a bit long, but it features hammered dulcimer and an instrument called a ukeline.

http://1stclass.mylargescale.com/bobstarr/Uke%20Fantasy_mixdown01.mp3

Bob

• Members

First, thanks to Chris, Joe and Krash for this wonderful reminder system. After uploading something to YouTube during the week for the VOM, I completely forgot about it. In my email this morning was the reminder. Great job!

All thanks go to Joe. He designed it, made it work, and then put my name on the outgoing reminder emails. Thanks to Krash for linking the VOM in the Annex. The homepage of the archive site is here ...

http://vom.infocusreviews.com/

• Members

Title: Soft Rain

Inspired By: The poem "There Will Come Soft Rains" by Sara Teasdale

I'm cheating this month by reposting the tune I submitted for the Annex's "Songs Without Music" initiative... I just couldn't find the free time or muster the talent to record something special for this month's VOM.

It's probably easy enough to hear that I still can't sing all that well, but, it was fun to figure out a way (all be it simplistic) to re-imagine Teasdale's poem as a song. Definitely a first for me.

On a side note, portable cameras make one lazier ;-) This video marks the 1st recording not filmed in my "guitar room" simply because I was too lazy to head over there and, since my camera is no longer tethered to my my computer, I didn't have to. Heck, I was even too lazy to record with my Masterbilt. This tune was recorded with my old Yamaha FG-400a beater.

[YOUTUBE]t4RNXLXD13I[/YOUTUBE]

Anyways, here's hoping someone enjoys it... mistakes and all!

Chris

• Members

I've enjoyed listening to everyone's submissions so far. The talent here is awesome, and I'm grateful to have found this forum. I learn so much here every day. I found "Little By Little", and "Living on the River" particularly moving.

Thank you all!! I'm going to a wedding today so I probably won't get back to the rest of this until tomorrow, but this has been fun.

• Members

I wrote this song for my Dad, David Willis Martin, not long before he died. I played it for him by his bedside at the hospice, along with some other songs of mine. I am grateful that I had the chance. We lived so far apart.

Here's a picture of the two of us, not long before the end:

And here's the lyrics. Overall, one of my better lyric-writing ventures I think.

Sit down next to me/lean against me it

• Members

here is a tune i recorded some time ago in a jazz style.

I really like jazz. in fact i'm doing 'jazz' hands right now! :p:p:lol:!

PROMISES

Promises whispered in the dark

hold no sway for this broken heart

no them kinds of promises don't mean a thing to me

Promises whispered in the dark

carry no weight with my broken heart

no them kinds of promises don't mean a thing to me

you really had me goin'

I was captured by your charms

oh I should have been knowin'

you were in someone elses arms

promises promised after dark