VOM 18 -- Virtual Open Mic @ HCAG, Second Sunday, July 12, 2009

Stackabones

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I am about to go out on vacation but I'll leave comments for everyone who has already posted

garthman: that was really cool, not really my type of music but you executed really well and i really liked it

shamuspizzabutt: love the guitar, very soulful and very good singing

jamesp: hmm had trouble downloading, ill try again later

Stackabones: great songwriting and melody, sounds very good especially with just 30 minutes since first inspiration

g6120: Nothing wrong with some flailing, I always get into it, I like the solo overdub and just a great job all together

Michael Martin: very touching story, and a moving song

Galabar: wonderfully executed, I need to brush up on my fingerpicking

busby99: Love the song, another touching story

Frets99: Hahahah love the comedy act before and the song brings back memories. I need to learn that song

mrmoe: awesome song, goodluck with the contest, I think you'll do pretty good

bigald18: I love the blues and you pulled it off very well, great job

OldGuitarPlayer: Like the slide work and a really great performance

daklander: Is that an Aussie? I've had 3 Australian shepherds and just recently lost one and added one. Anyways good song and you have a very good voice.

TSMusic: Very good polished performance and a great song, I looked at some of your other music as well its excellent

Sangemon: Nothing wrong with a couple flubs, I always forget lyrics unless I sing it 100x. Anyways it was a good rendition of a classic.

Starrshine: trouble downloading, I dont know why

FussenKuh: Very cool, the poem worked very well as a song, you did it very well.

Oldskool Texas: Like it alot, everything blended very well

Taylor Davis: Great original work, good songwriting, singing, and playing

BlackHatHunter: Very clean playing, lone the tone, nice relaxing song

• Members

TSMusic: Very good polished performance and a great song, I looked at some of your other music as well its excellent

Thank you. It always get's a pretty good response when I perform it live.

Tony (vacation...whazzat??)

• Members

This is my first post to VOM1T. It is an Old Time song called Cherokee Shuffle; the arrangement is by Mark Geslison and it is not as complex as a standard arrangement.

http://www.box.net/shared/u4xoord0u7

It was recorded on a simple logitech computer mic into Audacity. There are two tracks: a rhythm track and a track with a guitar lead (both played by me). It should be played faster, but I just can't do that yet.

• Members

Just a quick single-take version of a song I wrote for The Other Half Of My Soul, my wife/soul-mate/best friend, Georgia Anne. :love:

http://terryallanhall.com/the_other_half.mp3

We are such different people
But opposites attract
And when I gaze into your eyes
I can see what my life once lacked
I want to hold you in my arms
Until we both grow old
You're the angel of my lifetime
The other half of my soul

And when I count my blessing
You top the list
And to this day my toes still tingle
With your every burning kiss
You filled my life with such warmth
In a world so often cold

I wish I had the words to tell you
What you mean to me
But how can mere words convey the truth
Or explain the ecstacy?
I'll love you for eternity
Until the World grows old

Gear used was my Guild JF-4, a Rat-Shack stereo condenser mic, my tonsils and my fingertips. :)

• Members

This doesn't fit my username, and it's a song I first heard on a previous VOM1T by someone else, but it fits where I am right now. After 23 years, my marriage has hit a brick wall. This song is probably more the sentiments of my wife right now that mine; I've hurt her deeply. I'm out of work and my life is upside down. I've got the kids with me for now very temporarily; we haven't told them yet what is coming next. This is a very raw, true VOM1T. The good news is that I'm in God's hands, He is holding me, and I am not without hope - but what ever happens, it's going to be a long road.

http://www.box.net/shared/0nsuh8an8e

Scott O

• Members

pretty females. inspired by the anxious culture of corporate life where everything's seriousness and importance is artificially magnified. unfortunately.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=908060&songID=7768093

pretty females
by paul gorman

feeling like a monkey
dealing like a junkie
why you giving eyes like that

bringing on the cancer
singing for the dancer
banging on my ruby red strat

dolling out the magic
rolling with the tragic
they're counting when you're on the mat

raking in the blessings
faking out the messes
back in my habitat

bucking for the chino
ducking out for reno
where's that funny hat

sweating all the details
pet all the pretty females
pining for the ultimate stat

seagull, Zoom, VOM1T, original...thanks for listening and i look forward to hearing all the offerings over the next week....pg

also, if interested, an 8 min NY Elusive short story detailing a trip to the storied Birdland......

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=908060&songID=7767920

Wow - I forgot about VOM until the last minute, so this one was recorded rather hastily. It's always been a favorite of mine. Just me and my trusty Martin D12X1.

Forever Young, by Bob Dylan

Forever Young

What a beautiful version of that song. I've heard many and I think your take has real flow and sounds the best. I dl'd it!

But,... such a cheapie guitar?.... I mean HPL??

:D

I'm starting to come to the feeling that a good solid top and laminate sides and back may just be one of the best ways of making an acoustic guitar. There's such an even-ness with just the right amount of bass resonance and sparkle on that guitar!!

Well done!:thu:

• Members

Thanks so much for your kind words, Frets!

The git is always tuned down a half step, especially for this song. (It's the only key where I can pull off the vox...LOL...and I'm too lazy to transpose on the fly)

Interestingly, this particular D12X1 has a tone that I haven't found in any others I've played. Mine is an '06 model and the top has a sh**load of bearclaw. I've played newer ones in several git stores, A-B'ed mine against a few, and for some unexplained reason, mine sounds way better. Maybe the top is opening up or maybe it's the loads of ding mojo? Go figure. :idk:

I've received several good offers from folks who want to buy that git, in spite of it being HPL, but I won't part with it.

• Members

So, happy-man ... quit singing about her and get her back. Sorry. I'm married 24 years and I feel for the 2 of you. Nothing is irreconcilable.

I have to keep on the straight and narrow, love her, and be patient. She drove me to the hospital a year and a half ago and had me locked up. I needed it, and I was fortunate enough to be able to spend 2 months getting the help I needed. I'm a changed man, but she's not so sure, and rightly so; I put her though a lot. We have six children, the oldest of which was married last month. We can sit together and talk civilly, like we did last night at Starbuck's figuring how to divide things up: neither of us wants to fight, but there is no easy fix. I'm committed to love and support her for the long haul - but she's not able to trust that right now.

as far as VOM1T... I've only listened to a few submissions so far.

Frets99 got me laughing; I needed that.

Gil - GREAT job on Time.

Scott O

• Members

Good Mornin' from a hot So CAl! I really haven't had time this week to put something together. I spent the last two days up in an attic crawlspace wiring up some ceiling fans for a customer. Had to be 120* up there! So, this is something I created last year and happens to be already stored in my webspace. It is called
Uke Fantasy
. It's a bit long, but it features hammered dulcimer and an instrument called a ukeline.

Bob

That linked didn't work for me. Is this the correct link:

http://1stclass.mylargescale.com/bobstarr/Uke%20Fantasy_mixdown01.mp3

?

• Members

Great work going this month...only listened to a few..Stacks home stood out...Michael Martin was cool sound with the two guitars. Peter Schafsma...really nice...bit to much reverb on the vocal but you can play so next time be ready to play for the crowd:)

Will listen to some more when I can....somemore has arrived

Happy-Man- Don't know the song but I could hear and feel the emotion. Take it one step and one day at a time.

Blackhat-Very pro style and sound...I really liked it!

Pinchgordo- You play and sing w/passion. Really nice work!

• Members

Well here it is, though I kinda ran out of time this week with this and that. I noticed that after I had mentioned I was going to do a John Prine song, I was asked to do, "Hello in There". I knew the song, but never played or sang it.
Now, I was going play "Souvenirs" as its not only a John Prine song, but one he duo'd with Steve Goodman, and I had practiced "Souvenirs" a number of times and felt comfortable giving it a one take live with lyrics.

Anyhow, I was never asked for a song before, so here it goes....in fact I never even played it before....I gave it a couple of good listens to, then printed out the tab and lyrics, stuck it in front of the mic and recorded it....The most "One take" song I have ever taken. Listening to it, there are many obvious mistakes, timing issues, lyric issues, playing issues, but for a totally blind song test, I'm not too unhappy about it.

Penco, standard tuning, brand new set of D'Addario Phosphor Bronze Custom Lights.....

http://c70man.xanga.com/audio/36ab43595623

• Members

Well, folks - I've had a wonderfully relaxing, fun day listening to all these great tunes! Many thanks to everyone who participated!

Garthman: Such a wonderful old-world sound! I adore these traditional songs that you do - always a treat!

Shamuspizzbutt: Wow - what a cool sounding git and an excellent performance!

Jamesp: A lovely song and superb recording. The old fashion sound reminded me of sitting around the campfire at a festival, listening to timeless music.

Stackabones: Yet another excellent tune from you, Stack. Very well performed, as always, and I really like those lyrics.

G6120: Wow, Gil...Pink Floyd instead of Neil Young? What an interesting departure from your usual style. I really dig that tune.

Michael Martin: It's seldom that I'm so deeply moved by a song. This is something very special and very beautiful.

Illinihoops: As you said in your post, that song must be really fun to play....and I had fun listening to it.

Galabar: What a great job you did with an old favorite of mine....and that Larrivee is a sweet-sounding git indeed!

Busby99: That's a lovely song and the lyrics are very touching! I can tell you sing it from the heart.

Frets99: That was pure fun! I was tappin' my foot and grinnin' from ear to ear.

Mrmoe: You have quite a talent for songwriting. I thoroughly enjoyed this one!

Bigald18: I'm diggin' the tone of that git and I sure like the way you play that song. Nice dog, too! :D

OldGuitarPlayer: Hard to get a good vid in a live venue with a lot of people talking, etc., but I could hear enough of you and your git to thoroughly enjoy your performance.

Daklander: Found myself swaying to the music and very much liking what I was hearing. I'd like to hear more of this kind of music from ya, Dak - you do it very well indeed!

TSMusic: Very nice , Tony. The tempo changes add a wonderful dimension to a delightful piece of music.

Sangemon: I've always loved that song. Your pleasant low-pitched voice is a very nice change from the way I usually hear it.

Starrshine: Sorry to say the link didn't work for me. I hope you'll post a new link - would love to hear this one.

FussenKuh: I would have liked to hear more of your voice, but overall this is very nice. I like the music you set this poem to.

Oldskool Texas: That's a tune that makes me want to get up and dance.

Taylor Davis: Lovely, mellow jazz such as this always takes me out of myself for awhile. I'm sure I'll listen to this again.

BlackHatHunter: A very nice song and gorgeous vid. I greatly enjoyed both!

Pinchegordo: Great vid, Pinch. I like the way you really get into the music.

Totamus: Wow - that git is a tone monster and your resonant voice sounds great!

Panfloj2: WhooHoo! What a wonderful, old-timey toe tapper! Loads of fun!

Terry Allan Hall: A beautiful, romantic song, Terry. It's easy to imagine the soft smile on your face when you sing it to her.

Happy-Man: I'm so sorry to hear of your situation. Sometimes all we can do in times of hurt is pick up a git and let the pain flow. I hear your sadness in this song.

Hypcollector: So haunting. I like this one a lot.

Pschaafs: Simply wonderful, Peter. This one made me kick back, close my eyes and relax.

C70man: No woodshedding? I'm impressed!! You pulled it off very nicely indeed.

• Members

Well, by my clock it's almost closing time ... but you know what? If it's still Second Sunday where you live, keep posting. Even it's a bit past Second Sunday and Monday Morning is blinking its bright eyes in your face ...

post 'em if you got 'em!

The mic is still on if you need it ...

Archived