First guitar

jskpongoui

• Members

Hi guys, I know I have made posts here and in the EG forum but I have taken more lessons since then, and I know a bit more about what I want.

I want a guitar (sub 500USD)

I like stuff like boards of canada, and other ambient type things.

do you think an acoustic would be the best way to go or acoustic/electric or just an electric?

if so post a reccomendation.

Right now I'm looking at the Seagull S6 and the Taylor big baby steel string

• Members

Yamaha sort of rules at that price, although lots of people love the Seagull S6 (which has a very wide fretboard if that matters to you). There are many Yamaha models to check out in the less than $500 price range, both with onboard electronics or without, but most would recommend the FG or FS series with a solid spruce top. Great guitars for the money. I'm not a big fan of Taylors (personal taste) and even less a fan of the Big Baby. Thin and boxy sounding to my ear, and not much volume.

Only you can decide whether an electric or acoustic guitar is best for you and your type of music. However, most people find it much easier to transition to electric guitar from acoustic guitar, and more difficult to transition from electric to acoustic. I learned on acoustic and, if I were a teacher, I would probably recommend that beginner students start out on an acoustic guitar. I think it teaches better pure technique.

• Members

Yamaha sort of rules at that price, although lots of people love the Seagull S6 (which has a very wide fretboard if that matters to you). There are many Yamaha models to check out in the less than $500 price range, both with onboard electronics or without, but most would recommend the FG or FS series with a solid spruce top. Great guitars for the money. I'm not a big fan of Taylors (personal taste) and even less a fan of the Big Baby. Thin and boxy sounding to my ear, and not much volume.

Only you can decide whether an electric or acoustic guitar is best for you and your type of music. However, most people find it much easier to transition to electric guitar from acoustic guitar, and more difficult to transition from electric to acoustic. I learned on acoustic and, if I were a teacher, I would probably recommend that beginner students start out on an acoustic guitar. I think it teaches better pure technique.

Alright thanks, I'm gonna go to the store and try the taylors, seagulls, and yamahas and see what I prefer

• Members

I might be interested in an acoustic electric to give me the ability to use some effects and stuff.

can you string an acoustic electric with regular electric strings, and what A/E do you guys reccomend

No, you would keep regular acoustic strings on the guitar. Electric strings, most of them nickel, just don't sound very good on an acoustic. With an acoustic, you are amplifying the natural sound coming from the sound box; you are not amplifying the vibration of some strings over a magnetic pick-up, so the whole theory is different. There are hybrids, which are usually some thin bodied acoustic with a pickup in it, like the Taylor T5 line, but to me they seem neither fish nor fowl. I would go for either an acoustic/electric or an acoustic you like, in which case you can add a good pick-up (recommended by some).

There are lots of effects for acoustics, reverb, chorus, and the like, but don't expect to do metal shredding on it. There are also lots of different amps, D/I's and so forth, depending as always on how much you are willing to spend. Fishman is one the leading manufacturers of acoustic effects pedals and amps.

• Members

I can highly recommend (because I own one) the Crafter TD06/N. This model has a solid Englemann spruce top and solid mahogany back. It is a traditional full-bodied dreadnought but is fitted with an active LR Baggs Element UST so it can also be played through an amplifier.

You can get one here: http://gearhounds.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=244

This is a great deal for $500.

• Members

If you aren't sure whether you want an acoustic or electric, get both. Chances are any guitar(s) you get at this point might not be right for you in the long run. Plenty of decent $300 acoustics which leaves you $200 for an acoustic. For that price range a lot of people seem to like the Xavier guitars available at GuitarFetish

I have a $99 Epiphone acoustic that compares quite favorably to my $300-400 Alvarez and Ibanez AEs.

• Members

Seagull would be my choice. Keep in mind that the s6 comes in an original (wide) nut and slim nut if you don't like the wide fretboard. Personally I like the extra width. The Taylors are nice as well. I'm not the biggest Yamaha fan sound-wise but for the price they seem to have great quality.

Go with acoustic. I started with electric and regret it for numerous reasons, foremost how lazy it made my fingers to learn "soloing tricks" before really learning the fundamentals and musical importance of individual notes and chords. On acoustic you can't really use as many "tricks", people will hear it if you didn't hit a note properly and just trilled your way out. Even when you go back to electric you can tell how much smoother you are after being "disciplined" by acoustic.

Plus, can you imagine a violinist who owns one of those electric practice violins but no actual violin? Every guitarist should have an acoustic tucked away somewhere even if you move onto electric.

If you're not convinced acoustic is the way to go, spend some time in the Amp Forum.

• Members

There is the Seagull S6 + Slim that has a smaller neck width! Look also at Art & Lutherie, Simon & Patrick, Norman. They are all made by Godin.

People already mentioned Yamaha and Crafter. They make nice guitars, I agree!

You could even buy a Yamaha FG700S http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Yamaha-FS700S-Folk-Acoustic-Guitar?sku=518274

and get a Yamaha Pacifica http://www.elderly.com/new_instruments/items/PAC112J-NAT.htm

Plus a Vox DA5 http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Vox-DA5-Portable-Amplifier-?sku=482065

and have a lot of fun for 500$ USD!

It would be wise, though, to get a case or at least a gig-bag for each guitar, an electronic tuner, a capo, and maybe a guitar stand...

It's up to you!

:thu:

• Members

Well you know I have to say it............Acoustic Guitar magazine rates the Washburn D10S as the best selling sub-$500 guitar for a reason. They're available in both straight acoustic and A/E versions and come with an HSC too!

Check them out......you'll be sold! :thu:

• Members

There is the Seagull S6 + Slim that has a smaller neck width! Look also at Art & Lutherie, Simon & Patrick, Norman. They are all made by Godin.

People already mentioned Yamaha and Crafter. They make nice guitars, I agree!

You could even buy a Yamaha FG700S
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Yamaha-FS700S-Folk-Acoustic-Guitar?sku=518274

and get a Yamaha Pacifica
http://www.elderly.com/new_instruments/items/PAC112J-NAT.htm

Plus a Vox DA5
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Vox-DA5-Portable-Amplifier-?sku=482065

and have a lot of fun for 500$ USD!

It would be wise, though, to get a case or at least a gig-bag for each guitar, an electronic tuner, a capo, and maybe a guitar stand...

It's up to you!

:thu:

I have a korg ca-30 already :wave: , I've been using a rental for the past few weeks

• Members

Sounds like you have a shop close by with some selection...go and try them out...then, let someone play a few and you listen.

Look for playabiliy (but you can always get a set up) and listen for a guitar that sounds right to you. It will happen and nothing wrong with the brands listed thus far.

• Members

Sounds like you have a shop close by with some selection...go and try them out...then, let someone play a few and you listen.

Look for playabiliy (but you can always get a set up) and listen for a guitar that sounds right to you. It will happen and nothing wrong with the brands listed thus far.

Alright thanks,

Is starting on an electric acoustic a bad choice?

• Members

Alright thanks,

Is starting on an electric acoustic a bad choice?

I'm no expert on electric acoustic...plenty around here though...

No, I don't think it's an issue at all. Especially since you're already into music. And, you $500 budget gets you into a nice guitar with electronics. Of course you can always add electronics later...

I use a Fishman Neo-D sound hole p'up into a Fishman GII preamp then to a Marshall AS5D - I folk:thu:

many ways to go...keep asking questions and the gurus here will help...

• Members

. . . Is starting on an electric acoustic a bad choice?

No but some of us would suggest choosing a straight acoustic and installing an aftermarket pickup. If you decide to get a preinstalled pickup, Takamine makes excellent electronics plus they're replaceable if you want to upgrade or whatever. The EAN10C Galabar suggested is a good deal.

Archived