Wife wants to learn acoustic guitar

DarkHorseJ27

• Members

She told me she is interested in learning how to play. I think it might have something to do with how much she likes Taylor Swift. I figure best case scenario, she learns and I have a jam partner and another shared interest with my wife. Worse case scenario, I get another guitar (read on).

She can't play my Alvarez dreadnought comfortably, and even though she likes my Parker she says its not her thing. So that means we'll have to get her a guitar. The only requirements that she gave me are that it has to sound good, small enough for her to play comfortably, and has to be "pretty" (her word, not mine).

I know from one of the times I dragged her into the best local guitar shop that she likes the more tasteful Luna acoustics. I went online and thought the Luna Trinity Parlor guitar fits the bill the best. Here is the link:

http://www.lunaguitars.com/acousticproduct/trinityparlor.php

I went to the guitar shop and they actually have one. I tried it out and I like it. Swap out the plastic saddle for a bone one and it will be one nice sounding acoustic. Good balance and projection, and it responds well to both strumming and fingerstyle. Not the best sounding piezo I've heard, but a good bit better than most in guitars in that price range. Its just a real fun little guitar. Only problem is I want it now. :facepalm:

She is gone for the week, so now the question is wait until she gets back and take her to see if she likes it, or get it now and surprise her.

• Members

That's a cool-looking parlor. I would check the resale value. If you can get a good enough deal to avoid taking a big depreciation hit, then buy it now.

That's the logic I use on myself, and it's led to an, erhm, interesting collection. But I can sell most of them without taking a hit.

• Members

I don't think I could pick out a guitar for my wife that she'd be 100% satisfied with any more than I think I could pick out a dress for her.

I just let my wife try on dresses until she finally chooses the one I would've picked in the first place........then I tell her how nice she looks in that one. It might work for a guitar too.......don't ya think?

All women are the same.....most of them just THINK they're different!

(Boy! I don't believe I said that. I'm gonna catch hell now.)

• Members

If you get it now... you will have time to play it a bit! ;)

It's really pretty and she doesn't know much about guitars so she's going to trust you! She should be happy!

• Members

Let her pick it out. No reason to catch hell over the choice of a guitar. And, you don't want to start this guitar learning thing off on the wrong foot.

Not to dredge up old stories, but I believe you've enlightened us some months back on your wife's behavior and I wouldn't be so sure this isn't just another passing fancy.

You know her best, so good luck to you. Proceed with caution.

• Members
Let her pick it out. No reason to catch hell over the choice of a guitar. And, you don't want to start this guitar learning thing off on the wrong foot.

Not to dredge up old stories, but I believe you've enlightened us some months back on your wife's behavior and I wouldn't be so sure this isn't just another passing fancy.

You know her best, so good luck to you. Proceed with caution.

:thu:

This.

:thu:

• Members

I have to agree with the above... let her pick it out. She may pick something you like or not, but it will be hersl (at least for now) Besides, if down the road it ends up being yours, it would be different from what ever else you have in your stable. That can be a good thing.

• Members

I'd buy what I like, that way if she doesn't I have another guitar to play.

Hey, come on, its about the music, not making the wifey happy...isn't it?

Ok, just joking.....I saw a used Morgan Monroe M-30 parlor for under $400 on Craigslist the other day...nice guitar for the money. (list is $1200)

• Members

I agree with others, take her to try it out. I would also encourage her to try out the full-sized Lunas as well. Most of them have a folk cutaway shape and aren't as deep as many other guitars so she might find those to be very comfortable as well with a bit fuller sound.

Lunas are great values and I'm now the proud owner of 2 (an acoustic for me and an electric for the wife).

• Members

You have to take the 'you' out of the equation. Pretend that you don't even play guitar and treat this like you supporting your wife in wanting to learn an instrument.

Let her pick out the guitar, and let it be the one she likes and wants. That way she has more of a stake in learning, rather than feeling like the guitar was actually bought for you.

I'm not saying you are being selfish here, but do look at it from her point of view.

That's awesome she wants to learn. Perhaps she can play you to sleep? (that's a compliment BTW):thu:

• Members

Since she doesn't know anything about guitars, you should be the one choosing what she's going to play. I don't understand how someone who's never played a guitar before can possibly say what's comfortable or sounds good or feels right since they have absolutely zero reference point.

I'm not saying that she needs to make due with one of your guitars, but one of the advantages to having a friend/family member who already plays an instrument is that they can help keep you from making typical beginner mistakes when it comes to buying your first guitar.

But you know your wife better than I do (I hope, otherwise this discussion will be very uncomfortable for both of us), so you need to know whether she's the type of person who would love that you went out and surprised her with a guitar that she knows you picked out just for her using your superior guitar knowledge, or if she's the type who's going to see that as you usurping her new hobby from the get-go, and trying to dominate her decisions. (My wife would fall into the latter of those two categories, by the way).

• Members
If you get it now... you will have time to play it a bit!
;)

It's really pretty and she doesn't know much about guitars so she's going to trust you! She should be happy!

Now I need to go find a boyfriend who wants a Martin and a Les Paul!
:p:idea:

+1

I think it would be a nice surprise. The Lunas are pretty gits. Just make sure you can return it if she doesn't like it.

• Members

Originally Posted by
Misha

If you get it now... you will have time to play it a bit!

Now I need to go find a boyfriend who wants a Martin and a Les Paul!

+1

I think it would be a nice surprise. The Lunas are pretty gits. Just make sure you can return it if she doesn't like it.

Almost all the guys say the opposite... But what do we know??? We're just girls after all! :p;)

Archived