VOM 19 -- Virtual Open Mic @ HCAG, Second Sunday, August 9, 2009

Stackabones

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

It's hard to believe another month has already passed. Here's hoping for another grand VOM! I know I'm certainly looking forward to listening to everyone :thu:

Title: Master Of Puppets - Acoustic Solo
Originally By: Metallica

This interlude from the normally driving riffs of Metallica's Master of Puppets has always been one of my favorite parts of the whole Master of Puppets album. As such, I felt inspired to figure out how to play it acoustically. I've rearranged the solo for play on my acoustic guitar and, to fit my abilities, it's been a bit simplified. However, it's not quite VOM1T. To make it sound a bit more full, there's actually two guitar tracks layered together in my rendition. Each of those was recorded in one take.
[YOUTUBE]fgd9UJe7ioY[/YOUTUBE]

As always, it isn't perfect, but I had fun making it. Any and all feedback (good, bad, or ugly) is always appreciated. Thanks for watching!
Chris

• Members

Absentee Postings

rhancox Comments:

I wanted to do this song two VOMs ago, for Father's Day, but I couldn't get around to recording. Good thing because I played it at an open mic two days later and didn't do it well at all. So I put in some hard work and here is the payoff.

I learned this song for my daughter and coincidentally, it was her birthday this past week, so it all worked out in the end.

Absentee Post from:
rhancox

Title:
It Won't Be Like This For Long

Credits:
Darius Rucker

garthman Comments:

A garthmanized version of 'I Want You'.

Actually recorded a couple of months ago - been busy this week and I'm going to the Brecon Jazz Festival this weekend - but this is the way I do the song and, of course, the usual one take with computer microphone and Audacity.

Absentee Post from:
garthman

Title:
I Want You

Credits:
Bob Bylan

jandrew Comments:

With family in from out of town this weekend, I humbly submit, in absentia, my rendition of Bedlam's 'Harvest Moon' (I only know this song from the 'resevoir dogs' soundtrack).

As usual, just me and my L-07 on the couch with the H2 on the coffee table -- post-amplified and mp3-encoded via audacity.

cheers,

andrew

Absentee Post from:
jandrew

Title:
Harvest Moon

Credits:
Bedlam

C70man Comments:

I wasn't going to submit this week, the finger is still healing...but I said, what the hell, what's a little pain....

Steve Goodman and John Prine were best of friends and shared a lot of music. Souvenirs is one of those songs that just doesn't sound right to me without both of them performing it together. I saw both of these guys perform it together and individually on more than one occasion. So here's my take, with a little of both of them. NO, I didn't capo on the 5th fret as they did. Just standard tuning and a little finger picking. Please forgive the mistakes...finger still hurts like hell.

Absentee Post from:
C70man

Title:
Souvenirs

Credits:
John Prine (Steve Goodman)

pschaafs Comments:

Went camping last week, this was a campfire favorite...

Absentee Post from:
pschaafs

Title:
Long Black Veil

Credits:
Dill/Wilkin, originally recorded by Lefty Frizzell

RogueGnome Comments:

This is Manha de Carnival, theme song from the 1959 film, Black Orpheus.

I played it on my el cheapo beater

Gracias,

RogueGnome

Absentee Post from:
RogueGnome

Title:
Manha de Carnival

Credits:
Luiz Bonfa

kwakatak Comments:

This song originally drew me in recently when a couple friends of mine lost their dads. I intended to do it as a tribute, but I ended up doing Cat Steven's 'Father and Son' instead which IMO seemed to fit better anyway. Then over the course of the past couple of months as I tried to learn it the lyrics sort of hit home to me. I was told that my own father (who I never got to know) had musical abilities as do various members of both sides of my family. Now as I see my younger son (who's age 2 as I write this) begin to experiment with my guitars and sing I wonder if there's any truth to music being in the blood or if we all just emulate our earliest inspirations?

I would have attempted this song back in June but it's not an easy one to play and sing at the same time. Even now I have trouble so this take is actually a compilation. The guitar track was recorded in one take and the vocals were overdubbed after their second take. I also recorded it late at night while trying not to wake everybody in the house up, so to me it could have come out better on the performance side. It ain't perfect but IMO it's close enough to the VOM1T principle to share here.

Absentee Post from:
kwakatak

Title:
Leader of the Band

Credits:
Dan Fogelberg

• Members

I wasn't gonna be here but I am. Testing my new usb interface for my laptop. I chose to do a very shortened version of the traditional song John Henry. There are so many variations of this songs lyrics it's hard to believe. The arrangement is my own. I am playing on my homemade handmade Martin D18 copy that is 14 or 15 years old. It was the first guitar I ever made. The finish looks terrible but it sounds great. I think I have GHS Bright Bronze Light strings on it that are about six months old and pretty dead.

http://soundclick.com/share?songid=7938360

• Members
Do I Love My Baby?

Original tune. That's me on electric and vox, Paul Gorman (hypcollector) on acoustic, Mark Ball on bass. We recorded this little session a week or so ago at Paul's Foyer Studio. I can't recall if this was the first or second take. I submitted this tune with just me and a gutbox way back at the 1st VOM.

This is the VOM debut of pg stackabones. :)

• Members
Fussenkuh...Your very good. Everything I hear of your stuff is good.

Michael M....You have a unique sound &style that is you. This one is not my fav but it makes the cd!:)

rhancox...I had not heard that song. You played it well. Good work.

garthman...Nice interpitation of an old classic.

jandrew...very unique sound. Good vocals and playing. My top choice of the evening!!

• Members

This is my first submission to VOM, so I hope I get this right.

This is an original song I wrote. I've been writing for a quite a while now and I really enjoy it.

I'm also just beginning to try the Youtube thing.

I recorded this with a webcam I just bought and my Alvarez AJ60SC. I know it's rough, but I'm just having fun...not trying to be the next James Cameron! :)

Anyway hope you all like it, and I'm looking forward to getting to know everyone here.

And Hi to Stackabones....I've jammed with you at the Texas guitar club jams a few times.

Here are the words...

[

• Members

I was a young kid of 17 when I wrote this one. My first real song. I have lyrics dating back earlier but none with music. I always played in standard tuning with no harmonica and in 1983 I came up with this harmonica part.

My friends and family love this song but I shelved it for decades.

For this rendition (truly one take since this song is a part of my being) I tried capo on 4th fret with I think an E harmonica. I listened to a 1983 recording to remind myself of the harmonica part and just went from there. Chorus sounded sparse so I took the time to dub in some harmony vocals afterward.

The idea I had back then was an older me looking back on all the great songs that shaped us as we grew up. Now here I am, the older me singing this song. That's what they call paying it forward:

http://tinyurl.com/l8damj

• Members

FussenKuh: That's one hel of a sweet tone on that guitar and the layering was the right call. Excellent!!

Michael Martin: Love your song but this lyric in particular

"Yes I am practiced at the art Of building up the temple

And then tearing it apart

Stone by stone/write a poem

In the ruins"

BRILLIANT!!

Rhancox: Great one Rob! Didn't know the song but like the sentiment!! Comment from your daughter is priceless!!

Garthman: WOW, you sound like Dylan but also like yourself at the same time!! Great arrangement. Really enjoyed your take on this classic!

Jandrew: Must admit when I saw the title I thought it was the Neil Young song. This is a great song and your playing and singing were superb!

C70man: Very skillful rendition!! Mistakes? What mistakes? Bravo!

Pschaafs: Nice rendition! Liked the overdubbed vocal on this!

RogueGnome: Didn't recognize thew title but I have heard this before! Very nice feel to your rendition!!

Bigald18: Great one! Enjoyed listening!

Galabar: Bravo! Sounded like you were playing in the same room! (I listen through a real stereo).

Stackabones: Sounds ready fro your CD! Great wrok! Nice groove and like your leads!

Guitarist21: I remember this one! Great cover!! You rocked it!

Oldskool Texas: Very cool!! Sounds awesome!!

Tbryson: That had a real Jimmy Buffet feel to it. Nice work! If you're feeling in a rut it happens to all of us I think. It'll pass. Keep on playing! I actually stopped playing for 16 years and wished I hadn't now.

Chriscarnucci: That was excellent! I liked the song and its message and your sining is great! You are right on key and give it the right feel!!

• Members

Here is my VOM1T submission of a cover of a song off of Wilco's new album, it's not really acoustic originally so I made it my own while keeping it true. Enjoy!

Recorded on iPhone with my trusty Yammie FG700S. One take, one track, imported into garage band clipped to size and uploaded to soundclick.

I'll Fight - Wilco

http://soundclick.com/share?songid=7940931

A little cover of an old tune I'm playing instrumentally at my niece's wedding on Friday.

[YOUTUBE]E99RZ23IKMA[/YOUTUBE]

I'm on my way a church service and an all day church picnic so I won't be around today but I'll check in during the week. This month's VOM promises to have a bumper crop of great music judging from what's already here this morning!!! :thu:

• Members

Cocaine Blues - Johnny Cash

Fun but does include some mistakes

http://soundclick.com/share?songid=7934819

I wanted to do long black veil.. but my hand is cramping like hell from the finger picked bar chords. I think I'm pressing harder on the strings because I'm more conscious of each note than I would be if it was strummed.. So maybe next time on that one.

• Members

I only got to listen to the first couple of entries but damn so far the first couple have set the bar pretty high:

Fussenkuh - you're gettin' pretty good there. Nice acoustic adaptation. I thought it was Hudman there for a sec! :D

Michael Martin - if that was scotch-soaked then I have to know what brand it was because I need something that mellows me out like that. Even if it is a re-take I could tell that you captured the essence of the moment. Great job recording that Tak. :thu:

• Members

Here is my recording for this month.

This morning I left New Yawk and went down to Texas (virtually, that is) and I recorded "Clay Pigeons", by Blaze Foley.

This was recorded with my HD-35, and the K&K Pure Western Mini. The K&K was plugged into a Baggs PADI (settings flat) and then to Apogee Duet. I sang into an AKG Perception 220 LD condenser mic also to the Duet and from there to Logic Express, lowered the DI 12 db, a bit of EQ, compression, and reverb, then out to you.

I feel pretty good about this one, and I actually performed it at a real open mic last weekend at Nazfest. That was my first open mic, and my first musical performance of anything live before an audience ever, and it was pretty terrifying, but I got through the song and had a lot of fun.

I hope you enjoy it and look forward to hearing everyone else's submissions.

Thanks for listening.

http://soundclick.com/share?songid=7941596

• Members

Everyone just sounds better and better each month. It must be those new bridge pins that's doing it. Listened to everyone so far and the caliber of the performances is wonderful. My only criticism in general for the folk players is that everything starts to sound the same when you're listening to folk music. People need to put more of themselves into the arrangements instrumentally. Be creative! The same strum or picking pattern in every song gets boring.

BigAl :thu:

• Members

Fussenkuh: Cool tune! That Epi sounds great, and I like whatever effect you have on it.

Michael Martin: Nice song and the production is wonderful. I like your voice.

Rob H: Great song, and performed flawlessly. Good job. The guitar sounds great too. Nice, deep and full.

Garthman: That Crafter sounds real good, and I like your take on that old Dylan classic.

jandrew: Nice clean recording, and your guitar sounds real nice. I'm gonna have to look into an H2. I don't remember that song, but it's a good one. Nicely done!

That's all I have time for right now. More later. Thanks for sharing these, you all sound great.

• Members

shamuspizzbutt...that was cool!

G6120...are you sure your not Neil Young?...what a great idea for a song. Really good!!

Sangemon...Nice sound on the recording and congrats on actually getting up in front of an audience...must of been nerve racking but ya did it!

Archived