VOM 19 -- Virtual Open Mic @ HCAG, Second Sunday, August 9, 2009

Stackabones

• Members
I know that since I've been participating in these VOMs I've stepped outside of my hard rock / metal box to experience some great folk sounds and classical piece and have started appreciating a larger variety of music. And, I hope that I've been able to offer a small piece of that back with my musical selections. Or, at the least, have shown that there is some musical goodness that can be found hidden between the distorted power chords
;)

Fuss, you are our bridge between metal and acoustic. Yes. One major benefit of VOM is the broadening of horizons--get us outta our ruts--and the reminder of the universality of musical goodness. This is the true hallmark of diversity--not "visible diversity", so admired in my professional context, but actual experiential diversity. For your part, you demonstrate over and over that the flash and theatrics and aesthetics of metal can (for people like me, non-metalist that I am) obscure the essence of the music. Play it on solo acoustic, and the beautiful bones are there for all to see. I appreciate that! I'm not a Metallica fanboy, but no question that Kirk Hammett was/is an amazing songwriter as well as supreme shredder. Essential truths like that can get lost sometimes in all the genre-shunning that we tend to do.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I have heard many times that a good melody doesn't need distortion. If it's good, it will hold its own even on a acoustic setting.

I agree. But I love my overdrive pedal, which always seemed to sound best fully clockwised, and without that particular "crayon" in my box I'd be a poorer man indeed. Think I mighta overdone it a bit this time out, but hey.

• Members

Wow--congrats on the live debut man! I guess I thought you were a performance veteran. I don't know that song--I like its mood and wistfulness. Also like that "pinch" FS--something I have a hard time with. So...are you playing lefty or righty? Your pic on Soundclick is a reversal of your avatar...

Thanks!

I'm a righty. I don't know how that photo ever got reversed.:confused:

• Members

You folks are all too nice. This is my second VOM1T, thanks again for all the comments and putting up with my electric BS. I finished listening to all the submissions, and that was fun. Lotsa talent, energy and heart in here. Maybe I'll figure out how to record with my webcam for a real VOM1T from me next time.

I wasn't gonna be here but I am. Testing my new usb interface for my laptop. I chose to do a very shortened version of the traditional song John Henry. There are so many variations of this songs lyrics it's hard to believe. The arrangement is my own. I am playing on my homemade handmade Martin D18 copy that is 14 or 15 years old. It was the first guitar I ever made. The finish looks terrible but it sounds great. I think I have GHS Bright Bronze Light strings on it that are about six months old and pretty dead.

http://soundclick.com/share?songid=7938360

OK, I didn't know we had a celebrity here. I can't tell from your picture "Big Al", but the voice intro on the soundclick is a dead giveaway.

Which one are you, Click or Clack?:confused:

• Members
You folks are all too nice. This is my second VOM1T, thanks again for all the comments and putting up with my electric BS. I finished listening to all the submissions, and that was fun. Lotsa talent, energy and heart in here. Maybe I'll figure out how to record with my webcam for a real VOM1T from me next time.

Well, I am an Iowa boy (from Newton) and a UI graduate.
:wave:

Good Ole Newton! I used to travel there every week or so to see customers. That little town has a kick butt golf course too...My oldest and best friend lives there as well. I was wondering if you caught the Iowa State Fair this past weekend....Head East, and old rock and roll band that were old school buddies of mine played there. I didn't get to go (I'm in Florida), but if you get a chance to catch them do it.......the only original guy is Roger Boyd, the founder, but I understand they sound as good as ever.....

Anyway just saying hi and welcome to the VOM1T!

• Members

Thanks everyone for their compliments and thoughts. I apologize again for my terrible recording set-up (a digital camera and a squeaky chair) coupled with my terrible conversion software to get the thing on Youtube. One of these days I'll just get a USB mic and be done with it.

On to a couple of specific points:

BlackHatHunter Classical guitar always intimidates me.

I get intimidated by most of the talent here, myself. This particular piece isn't as difficult as I make it sound (or look, I cringe at how spastic my left hand is when I watch the playback). But really, a lot of what I play on classical guitar is pretty straight-forward, once you learn some of the right hand techniques.

Michael Martin I think we should do a caper for a new guitar stool for you...or at least a can of WD 40...

:facepalm: It's terrible, I know. It's just like string squeak though, I'm so used to that damned chair that I don't even hear it when I'm practicing. It's only on playback to I realize how much background noise I've got going on. I got some WD40 a few months ago specifically to deal with it, but to no avail.

C70Man Nice techniques, but cheer up a little. Most people would be smiling ear to ear if they could play as well as you!

That's another thing I don't realize until I watch the playback. I guess it's because I have a problem memorizing tunes, especially if I learn it from tab instead of standart notation. So I get focused on the tab and look like a statue. It's not good (for me or the audience), since it also means I'm tensed up which for me definitely inhibits my playing.

Oh, and Rhancox, there's always a glass of wine or a beer nearby during those Sunday night recording sessions. In this case it was a glass of 3 Buck Chuck sauvignon blanc, just below the camera frame. Without it, my expression would be less stone-faced and more fear.

Thanks again, everybody (especially the organizers and documentarians), for a great VOM. I'm going to get through everyone's and try to give some feedback, since I really appreciate the feedback I get.

• Members

Well, I am an Iowa boy (from Newton) and a UI graduate.
:wave:

OK, I didn't know we had a celebrity here. I can't tell from your picture "Big Al", but the voice intro on the soundclick is a dead giveaway.

Which one are you, Click or Clack?
:confused:

Click or Clack who???:confused:

• Members

And I use a keyboard for some of the non-guitar tones, but I try to use as many "real instruments" as I can, such as trumpet, clarinet, sax, drums, bass, etc... it sure is fun.

I have a musician friend (local artist Kate Kennedy) who can play just about everything. It's amazing that you people exist. I am so envious--what fun that must be.

• Members

Well, I dropped off the last visiting brother and family at the airport early Monday afternoon, and spent a couple pleasant hours in the afternoon and this morning listening to all the entries while sitting in the backyard (finally got something resembling summer weather here) -- another great turnout of talent. To all who commented on my entry, thank you very much.

On to the show:

FussenKuh Acoustic Metallica, a great start to the VOM!
Michael Martin sweet song, she must be special
Rhancox Not familiar with that one, but I like it! (nice guitar too).
Garthman Haven't heard that one in a long time -- really enjoyed your version.
C70man I was going to do souvenirs this month, but I'm glad I chose a different tune so as not to have stand next to your excellent rendition (maybe next month I'll hack out my version)
pschaafs That was great, wish I had been sitting around your campfire last week!
RogueGnome just goes to show, it isn't the beater but the hands that beat it -- that was lovely.
kwakatak Always moved by this song (lost my father young) -- you may find fault with this take, but it came across as both sweet and honest (wipes eyes), thanks.
bigald18 That guitar has nice tone -- but, well, you know :)
Galabar That was nice -- you need to do an extended version!
Stackabones Stack never disappoints -- you've got a way with the groove. Glad I have a high fence so nobody could see me rubbernecking like a doofus in the backyard :)
guitarist21 Didn't think I'd know it, but sure enough, recognition kicked in -- nicely done -- enjoyed the extended signoff too :)
Oldskool Texas wow. nice. not just well played, but well mixed/arranged instrumentation.
tbryson glad your reluctance hasn't won out -- that actually comes across well. Maybe lose the drum beats and go for a little more soulful desperation in the verses (contrast with the more upbeat la la la bridge and final chorus). And, as guitarist21 said, you've got a good steady strumming hand (something I try to fake my way around with mixed strumming/picking -- often with mixed results)
chriscarnucci dang! that's a good song, and, in response to your blurb accompanying your vid on youtube: your playing is just fine and your singing is great.
g6120 hey, you wrote keepers at 17 -- nicely done.
illinihoops an iphone??? nice sound! your guitar rythm drives that song nicely.
Frets99 very nicely done -- but next time I want to see the whole headbanger metal act :)
Rogers6210 I'm not generally a looper fan, but that was tastefully done -- and awesome playing.
Okieslims Great Cash tune, nicely done.
Shamuspizzbutt like someone else said, that $99 guitar sounds great -- must be the beer.
Sangemon really nice job. Congrats on the live open mic.
TSMusic definitely high energy -- impressive playing.
Daklander you nail that honest, traditional style dak.
missedmyexit tuning notwithstanding, that one really came together.
hypocollector couldn't help thinking of Tarentino dialogue while listening :)
blackhathunter nicely done -- cuteness factor: 11
littlemilo nice playing -- do something about the legs
brokepick always liked that song -- great job!
gthom glad you committed to the August VOM, now commit to September please. Nice. (maybe an inexpensive soundboard transducer might help avoid the extraneous noises).
Chordchunker cool vibe -- I'll bet that's as fun to play is it sounds.

Thanks to all of you for your perfomances, and to Stack and Ohio for their tireless efforts!

cheers,
andrew

• Members

Good Ole Newton! I used to travel there every week or so to see customers. That little town has a kick butt golf course too...My oldest and best friend lives there as well. I was wondering if you caught the Iowa State Fair this past weekend....Head East, and old rock and roll band that were old school buddies of mine played there. I didn't get to go (I'm in Florida), but if you get a chance to catch them do it.......the only original guy is Roger Boyd, the founder, but I understand they sound as good as ever.....

Anyway just saying hi and welcome to the VOM1T!

And hello to you. Hope your finger is doing better.

Haven't been to the Iowa State Fair for a show since I saw Nazareth, Aerosmith and Nugent on the same bill in the 70's. And haven't lived in Newton since the 70s, or Iowa since the 80s. Funny you mention Head East, I think one of my brothers bands opened for them somewhere in the late 70s. I do remember them.

If your best friend lived in Newton in the 60s or 70s, I'll guess he knows me or someone in my family. PM me a name if you like, I'll let you know.:wave:

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Sunday Morning Coming Down. Started my day with a review of VOM. First off, thanks to all who listened to Macho Burger. All comments were soaked in and pondered. And appreciated. It's still a no-go, but the jingle is ready to go. Mr. Martin is right about the lack of ender. However, with the project on the shelf due to some leasing issues and cold feet, I've moved on and it sits dormat. Off topic>>Tarantino's new movie, Inglorious Basterds, is excellent>>On Topic.

Tremendous listening time this morning. Sausage and eggs cooking in the kitchen right now. Coffee's hot. All selections were heard. All were enjoyed for a thousand different reasons. INMYOWNPERSOALOPINIONTOPSELECTIONS>>Michael Martin's cricket was a perfect lead-in. great song. Intro of the month belongs to bigald18. not even close. oldskooltexas was really good. check out train echo effect too. polished texas. the chriscarnicci stare was intimidating. truly a great performance and song. rogers6210 was incredible.

Thanks again stack for hosting, pardon my tardy response, and see you next month....pg

Archived