VOM 19 -- Virtual Open Mic @ HCAG, Second Sunday, August 9, 2009

Stackabones

• Members

Wow, I go to sleep for 8 hours and I'm greeted with 20+ new submissions to listen to :thu: What a great turnout thus far! But, before I get listening, thanks to everyone who's, thus far, given my tune a listen :)

tbryson - Thanks a bunch! That really means a lot!

g6120 - Thanks! Every once in a while, I'm pleasantly surprised with the quality of recording that my ancient/free Gateway PC mic captures.

kwakatak - LOL... thanks for the feedback :lol:

Sangemon - Thanks for watching. As for any special effects, there are none. It's just a couple if layered tracks. The only effect comes from me not being able to play it exactly the same way each time I play it ;)

Oh, and chriscarnucci, you tricked me... but in a good way. I saw the name of your song and clicked away before reading that it was an original. Here I was ready for Metallica, but, instead I was treated to a fantastic original tune. Great work!

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Greetings

This month's submission from your's truly here is a song from my 2nd CD, Last Sun. The song is titled Fyre In The Skye. The audio was recorded (and this is my standard setup) with a Generis GC1 about the 12th fret of the neck (the mic's are dropped down out of the camera view a hair), and an MXL 909 at the lower body. Both are run through an Aphex Tubessence 107 pre-amp which is routed through a Presonus Inspire 1384 interface into the PC. The camera is an older Intel model with no mic. Video capture software is Ulead, and I make the final adjustments using Windows Movie Maker. Enough of that

On with the show.

Thanks

Tony

[YOUTUBE][/YOUTUBE]

• Members

C70man - Steve Goodman and John Prine make for a heck of a fusion...nicely done! I'd have no clue that your playing was at all impaired. I love the song and am going to learn it now.

pshaafs - Great take on a classic. Thanks! Did you overdub a second vocal?

RogueGnome - Nice! Jazzy! Lovely recording. Nice and clean. That "beater" sounds damned good!

Neil - That's a beautiful song and your playing did it justice. Your guitar sounds beautiful. And your voice is great, but the effect on the vocal I found distracting. It made it hard to concentrate on the lyrics.

bigald18 - That homemade guitar sounds really good, and your take on that old song was really interesting. Thanks for sharing it.

Galabar - Nice job on a tricky piece.

Stackabones - Your tunes are always swingin', and this one is no exception. Love that lead guitar! The band is tight. Good work!

Ellen - I remember that song. Good job! And nice work on the video editing too!

OldskoolTexas - Multi-talent! Well done on a good original tune and I love the production.

More later....

• Members

Good afternoon...Macho Burger....Originally written as the basis of a commercial jingle, a jingle's not a jingle unless it's attached to something. A story. The jingle is captured in the last two lines. Sadly, the venture has since been deemed untenable and unlikely to produce any capitalistic success. My clients have abandoned the project. Although pure fiction, it's still a good story. Take a listen...you'll be glad you did.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=908060&songID=7919399

Looking forward to listening to this month's offerings....stay hyp....pg

• Members

Wow - I'm soooo impressed by what I've heard so far. You guys are great!

I have to sit this one out. :cry:

Packing up and heading for new digs and can't find half of my mics and recording gear. Looking forward to relaxing later this coming week and listening to all these submissions.

Keep up the great work!

• Members

I have to sit this one out.
:cry:

Packing up and heading for new digs and can't find half of my mics and recording gear. Looking forward to relaxing later this coming week and listening to all these submissions.

Keep up the great work!

Where ya' headed this time? :)

• Members

I have to sit this one out.

Keep up the great work!

Damn. Well, be sure to steal the Dano...:)

• Members

tbryson - Nothing wrong with your guitar playing, and the song is cute and funny. I love the backing vocals, but I didn't think you needed that drum track. Try a mix without it. And thanks for posting the lyrics and chords.

chriscarnucci - That's a really beautiful song. Do you have any idea what I'd give to be able to write as song like that? Wow! And your singing and playing are great too. Thanks for participating and I look forward to more from you.

Gil - I always enjoy your submissions. I like your punchy guitar picking style, and the harp work is superb. Vocals too! Too much reverb! 20% less would have done nicely (why does everyone use so much verb?!?) Great song! Thanks!

illinihoops - Ya gotta love the iPhone. I have an iPhone 4 track app for recording and overdubbing. They're great. Good job!

Frets99 - Another funny and wonderful submission. Your niece is going to LOVE that! I always enjoy your postings. Thanks!

rogers6210 - Wow! You've got that acoustic guitar thing down to a science! Very impressive! Thanks for joining the VOM!!

Okieslims - What fun! Great job!

Shamuspizzbutt - Great slide!

Getting there....

• Members

Where ya' headed this time?
:)

Snohomish, for the time being. After the drag queen got tossed in jail and the other roomie turned out to be the slob from hell, two of us are breaking outa here. Started dismantling the studio yesterday, (major project !!) so no way could I find half the gear I needed in order to lay down a track for today.

Still enjoying listening to everyone, though. :D

• Members

I've been wanting to throw a song or 2 up, but my name is not on the drop down list. Has my singing been banned beforehand?
:poke:

:lol: No not at all. The VOM takes place in here at the HCAG. The Archive site merely reflects what is happening in here. There are extra free services available at the archive site but the criteria to using them is participation here first. Once you post your first tune in the VOM, your name will get automatically picked up by the list and then you can register for those extra services.

No preempted banning has occurred and no musicians were harmed in the creation of these fun, games, and musical expression. :lol:

:thu:

• Members

Tony - That seems familiar, have you posted that before? It's cool. I like your frenetic-yet-relaxed style.:thu:

Daklander - I was just introduced to Fred Eaglesmith songs this past weekend by another guitar player at Nazfest. He writes great songs! Thanks for reminding me to look him up. Well done!

Missedmyexit - Don't know that song, but it sounded good. Thanks!

Hypcollector - You made me hungry. Again with the big reverb? Am i missing something?

Balckhathunter - That was great. What a great song. And I loved the kids at the end, they brought a little tear to the corner of my eye. They may not be right on key, but they got the beat!

And now I'm caught up! Thanks everyone. You were all great. This was a great month's VOM.

• Members
Tony - That seems familiar, have you posted that before? It's cool.

Nope first time on here but it did pretty well last year on the Soundclick Acoustic Rock Charts (#3) and 29 on the overall Acoustic Chart.

I like your frenetic-yet-relaxed style.
:thu:

First time I've ever heard it described as that!!

Thanks

Tony

• Members

I've listened to everyone on page 1 so far, sounds great as always. So I'll put a stop to that.

Here is my version of Tommy Tucker's Alimony, mostly electric guitar, but there is an acoustic on one track. Recorded on a Tascam DP-02, each track was one take.

Be forewarned... I can't sing, I ain't pretty and my legs are thin. :wave:

http://soundclick.com/share?songid=7944164

Archived