VOM 19 -- Virtual Open Mic @ HCAG, Second Sunday, August 9, 2009

Stackabones

• Members

G6120: Love your guitar style, and the harp is cool. Makes me wish I could play one...it surely does have that unmistakable Neil Young-ishness, in the vocal style as well as the song itself. Very impressed you were writing songs like this in your youth!

Illini: Cool. Had not heard this or anything else yet from the new Wilco. As I listened, I kept thinking that the song reminded me of another song, and finally I realized it was Van Morrison's "Wild Night". Nice job!

Frets: Love the Kirk Hammett! (thing is, as we all know, you actually could do Kirk if you had a mind to) And you have a much better head of hair than him, these days. When the actual song began I thought you'd do it instrumental and I was going to say I missed your vocals. But then there they were. Always enjoy your performances--that's a sweet old song that I haven't heard in forever. Traditional!

rogers6210: Wow. Love all the gear shots, and what a cool interweaving of effects. All your arrangement I assume--impressive on all counts!

okieslims: Damn that's dark. Love that gritty old Johnny Cash. Funny thing was, I was in court this AM (cited for my cat being off-leash, trespassing in a cat-hating neighbor's yard). Everybody else there was pleading to charges of public intoxication, domestic assault, possession of drug paraphernalia, 3rd-offense driving while barred, 5th-degree battery--you get the picture. Your song could have been theme music for that scene!

Shamus: The headless VOMiter! Man, you got the voice for da old-time blues. I don't think the beers hurt at all. Nicely done. And love the mike stand beer holder. Do they make those for brandy snifters?

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Sangemon:
Congratulations on your first open mike, and at Nazfest! The pressure must be pretty intense there. YOU have a really good voice.

Thanks! It was pretty scary but I did well with "Clay Pigeons". That was on Saturday. Then on Sunday I made a last minute decision to go up and do "Pancho & Lefty". Bad decision. I wasn't well prepared and I crashed and burned. It was ugly, but I finally did get through it. The people there didn't seem to think that it was bad as I did, but I think they were just being nice. I had fun both times and plan to keep at it.

• Members

Here is my recording for this month.

This morning I left New Yawk and went down to Texas (virtually, that is) and I recorded "Clay Pigeons", by Blaze Foley.

This was recorded with my HD-35, and the K&K Pure Western Mini. The K&K was plugged into a Baggs PADI (settings flat) and then to Apogee Duet. I sang into an AKG Perception 220 LD condenser mic also to the Duet and from there to Logic Express, lowered the DI 12 db, a bit of EQ, compression, and reverb, then out to you.

I feel pretty good about this one, and I actually performed it at a real open mic last weekend at Nazfest. That was my first open mic, and my first musical performance of anything live before an audience ever, and it was pretty terrifying, but I got through the song and had a lot of fun.

I hope you enjoy it and look forward to hearing everyone else's submissions.

Thanks for listening.

Wow--congrats on the live debut man! I guess I thought you were a performance veteran. I don't know that song--I like its mood and wistfulness. Also like that "pinch" FS--something I have a hard time with. So...are you playing lefty or righty? Your pic on Soundclick is a reversal of your avatar...

• Members

Thanks! It was pretty scary but I did well with "Clay Pigeons". That was on Saturday. Then on Sunday I made a last minute decision to go up and do "Pancho & Lefty". Bad decision. I wasn't well prepared and I crashed and burned. It was ugly, but I finally did get through it. The people there didn't seem to think that it was bad as I did, but I think they were just being nice. I had fun both times and plan to keep at it.

You go, Tom. You just gotta jump in, right?

I don't think of it as people just being nice. It's respect. You'll always encounter a twit somewhere, but for the most part, people are being respectful of your accomplishments.

Keep it up. I'm sure everyone here would love to hear some recordings of your outings.

• Members

Brokepick:
Very enjoyable

Thanks to all of you so much for taking the time to comment. I know how difficult that is to comment on each individual entry.

RogueGnome, I'm a very big fan of Norman Blake, so to hear you say that is music to my ears.

This is not the first VOM I've participated in, but I've learned several things from this session. I plan to start another thread with some thoughts on what I've learned this time. It's been interesting and fun.

My time is limited now, but I will comment further on everyone else's entries as time will allow.

Thanks to Joe and Stack for making the VOM possible!

• Members

This VOM was just outstanding.

There were several memorable performances that stood out in my mind. You know, I don't often do the comment thing. Quite frankly, a typical VOM wears my fingers out archiving all the data. :lol: But rest assured, I enjoy every moment of each and every VOM. You people just rock, every one of you.

One of these fine days if I ever get a decent recording capability, I have got to try this myself. I know, I know, I been threatening to do that for a while now, 19 VOM sessions to be exact. :facepalm: I kinda hate the idea that my playing may only serve to notch down the talent ratio in here. :lol:

Beautiful job folks. Just beautiful. :thu:

• Members

Michael Martin:
Man I always dig your stuff. Your voice is so distinctive. Seeing the news lately, the line about choppers falling out of the sky was a bit chilling!

Oh jeez. I hadn't thought of that. I wrote the song back in May, when all the crabapples had just let go of their petals, carpeting pavements all over town in pink and white, and the silver maples had just rained down their zillions of "helicopters" (winged seeds, or samaras). And thanks to you and others for your kind comments on the song.

• Members

I had to edit my previous post. In my effort to get everyone's name down I copied, pasted and inadvertently pasted Guitarist21's review of Galabar's wonderful VOM submission.

This one is from me, though, with apologies for not getting it right the first time.

Galabar: Beautiful nylon melody. Sad, and ancient and evocative of old south Europe, lost love. Very well executed. :thu:

:wave:

• Members

Made it, finally! I don't usually get this far with comments...

TSmusic: I do love your style and your creations. All those droney strings and you use the whole neck. It's very cool solo, but on this one in particular I could hear a band around you (bass and percussion) making the sound even bigger. Nice work!

Dak: I too love the a capella intro. A very spare arrangement, perfect for the song. To me the mood/tone is reminiscent of Springsteen's "Nebraska" songs. Your voice is so utterly...Americana!

MissedMyExit: Aha, it's not every day I hear somebody covering a band from Iowa! Good choice...that's a good song for solo guitar. (Note: somebody else may have commented on this, but I think there's a pronounced tuning issue in there somewhere...)

hypcollector: I couldn't do that if my life depended on it--talk and play at same time. It's always comical when I try. Good story...but two suggestions--less 'verb, because it's a bit too "empty-cave", imparting a loneliness as opposed to spaciousness. Also, I kept anticipating that the talk would eventually ascend into melody, even if only briefly. When it didn't, I felt like you'd set up for something that never happened. Just my .02...FWIW.

BlackHatHunter: Nice! Now, not knowing a lot about Buffett, I have to ask--is this a Buffett tune? Either way, well done--very professional-sounding. BHH:Buffett::g6120:Neil Young. What all are you using for all the various sounds?

Little Milo: Ouch. The voice of recent experience? Very cool arrangement. Love the tasty electric guit licks.

Brokepick: Didn't recognize the title but soon as you began singing I remembered the song from somewhere way back when. That's a timeless one, and I admire your version. Thanks for reminding me of it! I love it when that happens on VOM.

And to Joe and Stack and all who alert and manage and archive--a zillion thanks. Whatever we pay you for this, it ain't enough. :) Enjoyed everybody's stuff, and once again many thanks for any feedback offered.

[and yes indeed Joe you need to post something next month!]

• Members

Finally getting around to doing this...So here goes...

FessenKuh...Damn, every time I see a Masterbilt, I want one. It "sounds" like you found a really nice one.....love that tone. I'm not a Metallica guy, but you are turning my head in that direction....great job!

Michael Martin...like the vocals......but where's Minna?

Rhancox...Love that jumbo...a great song too, well done.

Garthman...How can one not like a Dylan song? Nice job.

Jandrew...At first I was saying Yeah, gimme some Neal Young, then it dawned on me what song it really was...and a great one at that...I gotta learn that song....great job.

Pschaafs...First time I remember hearing that was from Dave Mathews (the wife loves his stuff), then I remembered Johnny Cash doing it. Damn, I like yours too! Nice job.

RogueGnome...Really nice job. Almost broke out the guitar to play along. I really like the arrangement.

Kwakatak...I agree totally...music is in the blood. Just some people ignore it. A great song by one of my favs. Funny I don't do any of his stuff, I really like the guy.....a great job...and thanks for reminding me of him.

Bigald18...I think those strings need at least another 6 months of play on them so you can hit that "A" note properly!...pretty cool, it made me smile.

Galabar...I've "Opped" out of a few Voms, but Your "OPP 100 No2" was a great choice.....nice job.

Stakabones...love those originals...Do i like your song? "Yeah, Yeah, Yeah."

Guitarist21....One of your best...you have a perfect voice for that song. Especially like your "chop" and fills.....Great job.

I'll be back with more reviews....

• Members

Whoops-- I missed two in the middle. Sorry!

gthom: Always, always enjoy your flying fingers and those cascades of notes. Your pieces are always vaguely familiar to me, like I've heard some version somewhere...so beautiful. But--I think we should do a caper for a new guitar stool for you...or at least a can of WD 40...:)

Chordchunker: Cool--very 1920s vibe! Love that bass too. A spirited performance. But something was amiss with the hi-fi version--on playback it was very distorted. Lo-fi worked fine. Never had that happen before.

• Members

Michael Martin...like the vocals......but where's Minna?

Road trip to Yellowstone, with a good friend who was just ditched at the altar (well, practically). When she's back I want to have her do a harmony on the choruses of "Annaliese". Will post it somewhere if it works out.

• Members

BlackHatHunter: Nice! Now, not knowing a lot about Buffett, I have to ask--is this a Buffett tune? Either way, well done--very professional-sounding.

it's a Bob Marley tune :)

And I use a keyboard for some of the non-guitar tones, but I try to use as many "real instruments" as I can, such as trumpet, clarinet, sax, drums, bass, etc... it sure is fun.

• Members

BAck to it.........

Oldskooltexas...Reptile Boots is right! I was expecting the snake to jump out any minute and take a bite out of me! Especially likes the fretless bass. Nice job.

TBryson...Originals are fine, but you might want to work on some covers to challenge your playing. It's really not about your strumming, its about techniques. You gave it a brave shot though...thats a good step forward.

chriscarnucci...I kept hearing "Mr.Bogangles" and drifted a little bit away. You need to look a little happier on your U-tube, it didn't look like you were enjoying it...watch and listen to your last 3 words...Hey, its all about having fun, its ok to show it! Nice song.

G6120...Neal has been part of you all your life...only now can you really appreciate it. You should really toss that song to him...its perfect. You never know what could become of it.......or Your career. Great song Gil.

Illinihoops...hello from a former Illini myself...I'm not a big fan of Wilco. I caught them on Letterman and then listened more on U-tube. Kinda sounds all the same...doesn't it...I mean take the words from War on War and the song you did.....kinda fits either set of lyrics.....Good job capturing their song though........hey, Go Cubs!

Fretts99...you break me up man....I think you're getting WAY too much church time in......its affecting your comedy...Nice song though, made me put on a Django record.

Rogers6210...A Classic...I have to tell you that I'm not into the electronics stuff. Just too much going on for me...It can be used, but as good a player as you are, I'd like to hear you without it.......by the way, I got a blue T just like yours.

Okieslims...Not too sure what to say......Johnny Cash's version is well, different. You got the words right, but instead of worrying about pressing harder, work on the melody......you'll sound fine.

Shamuspizzbutt...glad I don't have to say that fast 3 times! Love that instrument. Now I'm a bit predudice when it comes to that particular song, but I still like your version...nice job.

Sangemon...anything but, an easy song to perform...very good job.

TSmusic...No question about it, Fyre in the SKy is the perfect title. It's a little fast for me, I kinda wanted you to slow down at some point and give me a breather.......I thought your guitar was going to catch on FYRE!

• Members

Back with the rest....

Daklander....Really nice job! Thanks for sharing.

Missedmyexit...Nice song, not familiar with them but I'm going to check them out.

Hypocollector...Come on, you know you want to do a Arlo Guthrie song! "They Keep the Bread Dry"...what a great line!...Cool song, thanks.

Blackhathunter...I'm going to dissagree with you. I think you should have the kids earlier in the song, they kicked your butt! Nice job.

Little Milo...I didn't like the name of the song (I won't share the reasons), I didn't like the looks of your legs either. I know I was forewarned, but I listened anyhow........Pretty darn good pickin there. NIce job!

Brokepick...Now that song wasn't fair.....Tom Paxton has a real place in my heart....For one, he used Steve Goodman on quite a few of his albums. Steve got to play all the hard guitar parts and he nailed them...Paxton early albums featured songs STeve wrote as well......SO how could I not love your entry? Yours was by far the best of the month...A high 5've and a cold one my man!

Gthom...Nice techniques, but cheer up a little. Most people would be smiling ear to ear if they could play as well as you! Nice song too.

ChordChunker...Okay, I'll bite........what is a Chinese Upright?
Great sound, great job.

• Members
Stackabones:
Brother Bones, I always look forward to your stuff, and you never disappoint! I love the groove on this one. What electric did you use?

Peavey Reactor (telecopy) with Joe Barden neck and Seymour Duncan Little 59 bridge through a Fender Super Champ XD.

Thanks to all for the kind words! :wave:

This has been a pretty intense session and I'm still catching up! I'm amazed at the dedication and work that y'all put into making something really cool happen at each VOM. This event has exceeded anything I could have ever imagined.

• Members
Brokepick...Now that song wasn't fair.....Tom Paxton has a real place in my heart....For one, he used Steve Goodman on quite a few of his albums. Steve got to play all the hard guitar parts and he nailed them...Paxton early albums featured songs STeve wrote as well......SO how could I not love your entry? Yours was by far the best of the month...A high 5've and a cold one my man!

Thanks!

This evening, I've been noodling around a bit with that song some more, and I've figured out that I'm in the wrong key with it. Too high. Looks like G or A would fit my voice better than C does. Now I've got to relearn those breaks in G. :facepalm:

• Members

Okieslims...Not too sure what to say......Johnny Cash's version is well, different. You got the words right, but instead of worrying about pressing harder, work on the melody......you'll sound fine.

I was speaking about my attempt to cover Long Black Veil when I spoke of my problems with fingerpicked bar chords. I do that song really well, but my hand runs out of steam mid way through because I press so damn hard with the constant F to Bb bar chord switch. I could play the chords in different ways, but I would lose the bass line in the process.

Anyways, thanks for humoring me guys. I will actually work to present something a little more refined for the next show. I just wanted to get my foot in the door this time.. still it was a lot of fun..

You guys are all very inspiring. I am definitely going to be sharpening my skills against all of you;)

BTW Michael...

It's a shame that a neighbor would actually involve the legal system over a cat being off a leash.. what a dick.. Mr. Rogers would roll over in his grave if he could see how meaningless the word neighbor is these days.

• Members

BTW Michael...

It's a shame that a neighbor would actually involve the legal system over a cat being off a leash.. what a dick.. Mr. Rogers would roll over in his grave if he could see how meaningless the word neighbor is these days.

Well, I didn't want to be unkind, but this is an empty-nester hellspawn couple in their mid/late fifties with a bit too much time on their hands and a bit too much anger, pestilential exhalations and cat-hatred in their cold, urine-soaked, coprophageous, bacterially infected flinty hearts. Her name, I'm pretty sure, is Saggybutt Jowlyface Dimplethigh McNastybreath, and his name is Dickhead Scrotumface McAss{censored}. I mean, that's just a guess, based on personality traits...

• Members
Well, I didn't want to be unkind, but this is an empty-nester hellspawn couple in their mid/late fifties with a bit too much time on their hands and a bit too much anger, pestilential exhalations and cat-hatred in their cold, urine-soaked, coprophageous, bacterially infected flinty hearts. Her name, I'm pretty sure, is Saggybutt Jowlyface Dimplethigh McNastybreath, and his name is Dickhead Scrotumface McAss{censored}. I mean, that's just a guess, based on personality traits...

There's a song in there somewhere, Michael. :thu:

• Members

Thanks for all the kind comments everybody. yeah, I'd like to revisit this song again and do it as a true "1T." I'm almost there but seem to space out with the lyrics at certain points.

As for the recording, sorry about the chorus effect. That's something I normally do with the guitar parts and just did it to the vocal track without thinking. The real reason I did it was because I felt that I didn't put enough into the singing and needed to fatten it up. Next time I'll just do a retake and record at a time when I don't have to hold back quite so much.

• Members

Wow, What a fantastic turnout this month! And, from the looks of it, a great mix of musical tastes as well :thu: I definitely have a week's worth of quality music listening ahead of me. So, thanks everyone for providing so much entertainment for my ears!

And, thanks to everyone who gave my video a watch. For people like me who've yet to work up the courage to brave a real open mic, these events present a great opportunity to share their work with like-minded musicians. And, as always, I truly appreciate all the feedback/suggestions I've received from everyone. It is really great motivation for improvement!

guitarist21, thanks for the suggestion. I considered working the chords underneath and still doing the double riffs (which could have been a bit too much), but, in the end, I couldn't quite make it work the way I wanted it to sound. There may be a future rendition that has them though.

And, finally, Frets99, C70man, et al., thanks for not disregarding and brushing off "teh Mettalicans." That's one of the coolest things about this forum and specifically about the VOM. There's such a wide array of musical interests from classical to country. From folk to rock. And every which genre in between... including some of us metal fans.

I know that since I've been participating in these VOMs I've stepped outside of my hard rock / metal box to experience some great folk sounds and classical piece and have started appreciating a larger variety of music. And, I hope that I've been able to offer a small piece of that back with my musical selections. Or, at the least, have shown that there is some musical goodness that can be found hidden between the distorted power chords ;)

But, enough typing. I'm sure I've probably put someone to :bor: with all my :blah:

Oops, almost forgot, many thanks to Stack and Joe again for setting up and archiving another fine VOM :phil:

( now I'm really done :facepalm: )

Archived