NMD for me

kwakatak

• Members

Based on brianwahl's tutorial thread I went and ordered a Studio Porjects B1 v2 large condenser microphone. I didn't expect it until 9/4.

Well, I just checked the order status and it said DELIVERED?!? Sure enough, it was on my front porch. I can't wait to try it out! :D

• Members

Cool! Brian sure sounds good with his, so I'm looking forward to hearing the acoustic stylings of kwakatak through one.

He makes it look easy. For me it's all about finding the right time to try and use it because the house is so noisy. My only chance to really use it is when everyone's asleep (and I risk waking them up and p!$$ing them off) or by waiting until they're all out of the house somewhere. Then I end up doing VOM1T takes which are sloppy, so the low quality hasn't bugged me. My only other option is to get out of the house and take my toys with me and go someplace where I won't be disturbing anyone else.

Another thing is that I've been having trouble with my mixer. It hisses and hums no matter how low I have the gain. I don't know if it's the unit itself or the fact that my house was wired by monkeys and I'm getting that dreaded 60 cycle hum or whatever. A friend has an H4 and I'm thinking I'm gonna use it and the B1 together. Does anybody know if they have phantom (48V) power and if so how long does the battery last?

• Members

Hehe - no D-35 but the mic seems to be working out well. I'm still fine tuning it but the fidelity is much better than with my Shure PG-57 (cardoid mic) and it's not as compressed as with direct feed with the K&K Pure Western mini. My mixer seems to have an inherent hissing that I can't seem to completely dial out, though I suspect it may get a lot of interference from outside EM sources; I cut a lot of it out by reducing electrical usage (TV, lamps, etc.) in the immediate area. I may want to try hooking it up to my friend's H4 and see if that's the culprit.

Archived